2013 Spring Turkey Hunting megathread

Sorry shoulda phrased better. Why is it required to have that green sticker for shotgun, how much do you get raped for it and where do you get it? Just in case the bow doesn't turn out well....

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

the sheet comes with a few stickers on it and you only need one. If your are in the area I have spares.

I have hunted turkey for two seasons already (well, 3 including this past Autumn) and I'm still a novice at it. I'm horrible with the mouth call. I can't get one gobble out of any place I scout with my crow or owl call. I haven't even seen one turkey my whole life that was in a place that would be legal to shoot it. Sides of roads? Yup. Peoples' yards? Yup. I read Innovative Turkey Hunting by Brad Harris and Mark Drury from cover to cover and there's a lot of good info in there, yet I still suck ass at hunting these birds. [laugh] Patience is key I guess.

Has anyone used a "Gobbler Guillotine" arrowhead? I bought a few, but have yet to try it out. They seem awesome, I'm just wondering about how accurate these guys are in flight. Any experiences to speak of ? They seem insane if all the youtube videos are legit

I have hunted turkey for two seasons already (well, 3 including this past Autumn) and I'm still a novice at it. I'm horrible with the mouth call. I can't get one gobble out of any place I scout with my crow or owl call. I haven't even seen one turkey my whole life that was in a place that would be legal to shoot it. Sides of roads? Yup. Peoples' yards? Yup. I read Innovative Turkey Hunting by Brad Harris and Mark Drury from cover to cover and there's a lot of good info in there, yet I still suck ass at hunting these birds. [laugh] Patience is key I guess.

Where do you live?

It's all about the pre season scouts and the location of roosts. Patience is the main key though just because they ain't responding doest mean they aren't headed your way. I can't do the mouth. Call either so I stick with box calls and slate/glass calls.

Me and squatch went scouting the other morning. Didn't hear a thing and I was hammering on the calls if turkeys were there they would have heard it. Though we did find some good sign with fresh tracks. So we have a good idea where they might be first thing in the morning.

nysanaba.jpg

The dreaded turkey safety sticker...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Got my first turkey yesterday! Opening day of Spring Turkey in Rhode Island.. Got a larger sized Jake.. about 17-20 pounds...

My buddy and I were first timers, and at least not a couple of dummies... All set up by about 4:30AM... Got my turkey at 7:30AM, and we stayed on location and called more birds in a few hours later. My buddy got his at 10:30AM.

I am OFFICALLY HOOKED.... I wasn't planning on doing MA this spring, but I just changed my mind.. Time to go scouting here now!

Has anyone used a "Gobbler Guillotine" arrowhead? I bought a few, but have yet to try it out. They seem awesome, I'm just wondering about how accurate these guys are in flight. Any experiences to speak of ? They seem insane if all the youtube videos are legit

I have 2 issues with the GG. First, I will not shoot a head I cannot practice with and verify flight and impact point. Second, the neck/head is a small target and the damn things seem to never stop moving their heads! Too much to go wrong and too small of a target for me. I like a nice 1.5"+ mechanical, NAP Spitfires specifically for me. I'll be out but probably with the shotgun, depends on what my spots look like.

Someone asked early in the thread about scent. I agree with the old saying, if turkeys could smell we'd never kill any! Also I am a big fan of Permathrin, keeps the ticks away nicely but I still check myself out a hundred times for the little bastards.

- - - Updated - - -

Got my first turkey yesterday! Opening day of Spring Turkey in Rhode Island.. Got a larger sized Jake.. about 17-20 pounds...

My buddy and I were first timers, and at least not a couple of dummies... All set up by about 4:30AM... Got my turkey at 7:30AM, and we stayed on location and called more birds in a few hours later. My buddy got his at 10:30AM.

I am OFFICALLY HOOKED.... I wasn't planning on doing MA this spring, but I just changed my mind.. Time to go scouting here now!

Congrats on the first bird, definitely post up some pics !!

A guy and his grandson got a nice tom out back of my house this morning for youth weekend. The kid is 10 and missed his first shot around 6. They reset to another stand and called in another.

Went out and patterned my 12ga shotgun with a new turkey choke and magnum 3 1/2 hevi load blend shells. They are NO JOKE! I'm 6'3 and 260lbs and wow they pack a punch. Shoulder is going to be sore for a couple days. But my turkey head targets had a bad bad day! Lookin ng forward to shooting a real one now.

Gone out the last couple nights to put some turkeys to bed. We have seen a bunch of tracks and some droppings but not a single gobble from a tom. I'm heading out tomorrow morning for a coulpe hours before work with my fingers crossed.
I wish everyone out there a great Turkey season.

I have 2 issues with the GG. First, I will not shoot a head I cannot practice with and verify flight and impact point. Second, the neck/head is a small target and the damn things seem to never stop moving their heads! Too much to go wrong and too small of a target for me. I like a nice 1.5"+ mechanical, NAP Spitfires specifically for me. I'll be out but probably with the shotgun, depends on what my spots look like.

Someone asked early in the thread about scent. I agree with the old saying, if turkeys could smell we'd never kill any! Also I am a big fan of Permathrin, keeps the ticks away nicely but I still check myself out a hundred times for the little bastards.

- - - Updated - - -

Congrats on the first bird, definitely post up some pics !!

thats my issue too, is I can't practice with it to check its pattern. Ehh well.... I'll bring it, just in case I get the opportunity. Just DOUCHED all my stuff with permethrin, stuff works wonders. Good luck everyone!!!!!

Wish I had taken today off. I'll scout around after work this evening and see if I can scare up some gobbles. Actually a pond that I kayak fish has some nice wooded area around it. Plenty of room to shoot without being close to houses so I'll check that out.

Got a nice one! Short beard but good sized

(detail added now that I'm back at a full-sized keyboard)

Good-sized jake. I saw beard and that was good enough for me. I was out pre-dawn, and left that spot about 7:45 after not hearing anything. Came in for coffee and a bio break, then went to spot #2.

On the way down a hill I hit the box call, and got an immediate response from a couple hundred yards off to my right. I made it to the bottom of the hill and set up my decoys in an open-ish area (not really a 'clearing' but visible from higher spots around).

I set up against a tree next to an old stone wall, and called a few more times. Didn't even bother to set up a blind. After about 15 minutes of calling and answering this fellow came strolling in alone at about 25 yards. First shot was a bit high (but hit him). He was wounded so I hit him in the head again. I packed up my gear and decoys, and went to where he was lying, and could see he was still breathing, with blood dripping out of his mouth.

After five more minutes of him still not dying, I gave him a third to put him out of his misery. Short beard (2+") and no spurs to speak of, but for opening day in my third season, I'll take it!

Remington 870 26" VR bbl w/ 3" Remington #5's. TruGlo Gobblestopper Xtreme choke tube.

turkey_lucy_and_me.jpg

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1367244109890.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1367244109890.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom