2013 Spring Turkey Hunting megathread

StevieP

NES Member
Hopefully we'll be filling this thread with pics and stories of our spring turkey hunting successes.

I went out to do a little scouting last night, and got a couple gobblers to reply to the box call.

I'll be trying a few more spots throughout the week getting ready for Monday's opener.

No but you will want to douse yourself in bug spray so you don't get Lyme disease from ticks.

turkeys don't use their sense of smell to the extent deer do, but they do have outstanding eyesight.

head-to-toe (including face) camo is the order of the day. Minimize movement of any kind.

You definitely need the stupid sticker, as if it does anything at all. I got my balls busted over not having one last season by an EPO, but he let me keep the bird and didnt fine me so all was good. I use Sawyer Permethrin Insect Repellent, it is absolutely the best stuff for ticks. You treat your clothes with it, let it dry and ticks literally fall off you. I found one on my car seat when I got home one time...dead. Do not put this stuff on your skin, I repeat...do not! Camo is a must, no movement is a must too. As of lately, I have been setting up my tent blind because my wife has been turkey hunting and she's not so good at being still and it keeps the bugs out, so she says.

I am right there with you. First season hunting turkey and was torn about what weapon to use. My first will be by 12ga and the second by bow. I just bought and set up a new Mathews bow and outfitted my Remington pump action with a turkey choke, comfortable sling and some 3 1/2" Hevi Blend turkey shot. I will tell you I am Giddy with excitement! Treated my camo with Permethrin (I think that's spelled right) to hopefully keep the ticks away and my girlfriends nerves are being tested as I sit in my blind, practicing turkey calls while watching Turkey Thugs on tv in the living room.. I did draw the line at wearing my camo at the same time. That would just be weird..... Hahaha

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
Well I wish you all luck (not more then my own of course) and I hope next week to see all the gobbler pictures being posted.

I took vacation so Monday thru Saturday ill be in the woods. Using my Mossberg 12ga with some 3 1/2 #6. Box call, mouth call and slate are ready to go. Hopefully ill be posting a picture soon

I don't turkey hunt....but they need to do something about the population,no joke.

I almost hit a turkey at least once a week....they are all over the place including my front yard.

I'm heading to the range today to reacquaint myself with my bow!! Turkey is my favorite season.

I reacquainted myself with mine the other night at Reedy's in Middleboro. Let about 50-60 arrows fly while I sighted everything in. Now my shoulders are killing me! Sucks getting old.....

I can't freaking wait. We have a new spot on on private property and are the only people hunting it. Hopefully, we will snag a good deep fryer candidate there.

My husband has a really big electrical job that he's doing, so he can only take the opener off. Looks like I'll have the next couple of days after alone out there :)

Seasonal Tick Warning!

Please send this warning to everyone on your e-mail list.

If someone comes to your front door saying they are from the DFW, stating they are checking for ticks due to the warmer weather, and suggesting you disrobe and dance around with your hands over your head, DO NOT DO IT!

This is a scam! They only want to see you dance naked.

I wish I'd gotten this warning yesterday.

I feel so stupid...

I be starting the season with my bow, then maybe moving to 12 gauge later on. I don't have a choke on my shotgun so it will get interesting (ithica pre barrel swaps).

But I forgot to get the stupid sticker. Ugh.

Anyone else have a hard time finding birds this year?

To get the turkey safety stickers you have to send away a self addressed stamped envelope to your local director of Fisheries and Wildlife. They are free and they send them back quickly. At this point though you'd probably be better off taking a ride down to your local office in picking them up in person. The purpose of the sticker is to just remind you as your siting down the barrel of your gun to shoot safely. Its a reminder that sometimes that gobble you hear may just be a camouflaged hunter hiding in the woods and not a turkey. So make sure you know what you're shooting at. Its just a small green sticker about the size of a quarter and I believe it says shoot safe on it. They send you a sheet of the stickers and all you need is one.

As far as punishment goes for not having them I've heard everything from being yelled at and told to get them to suspending your hunting license and turkey permit.

Last edited:
If you can't find the real things or it's too late or too far, just go to your nearest staples and buy some green stickers. Write 'Hunt Safely' on one and stick it on the back end of the top of your receiver, in front of the stock. The idea is you'll see it when looking at the bead lining up the shot & remind you of your training. Know your target & what's behind it, etc. ianal, but have to believe any reasonable epo would appreciate the homemade effort.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Back
Top Bottom