2011 S&W Indoor Nationals: My brother and I met some average joes today...

Hanwei

NES Member
You know... Todd Jarrett and Jerry Miculek [smile]

Both were very nice guys.

Anyway... just thought I'd share.

photo.jpg

photo2.jpg

photo3.jpg

And for those who don't know...

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, I had to do it. Now... if only meeting them somehow made us better shooters [wink]

I had a great time today. Great stages and a great squad. Hope you had fun too.

I met both Jerry and Todd at the match last year and they seemed like very nice guys. Only saw Todd briefly in the store, but Jerry ate lunch with our group. He was a real class act, happy to talk to everyone.

Hey, I had to do it. Now... if only meeting them somehow made us better shooters [wink]

If you ever get the chance to shoot with either of them, take the opportunity. It is an experience you will not soon forget and you WILL learn

Great squad and other then a few brain malfunctions didn't shoot to bad .they did a great job of moving everything smoothly .I was on the road heading home by 330.

Shot ok but had some serious screw ups which really hurt my overall score.

I got 233 and change.

I ended up with some serious screw-ups, too. The second-to-last last round of the last stage failed to return to battery, and I ended up down ten for an easy target at 2 yards.

245 and change. That malfunction and a few no-shoots with holes in them probably blew my chance at a SS-EX bump.

Last edited:
Did the bro get you???

Awesome pics too guys!
Absolutely. 210 I think.

I ended up with some serious screw-ups, too. The second-to-last last round of the last stage failed to return to battery, and I ended up down ten for an easy target at 2 yards.

245 and change. That malfunction and a few no-shoots with holes in them probably blew my chance at a SS-EX bump.

You had to get an SS-EX bump with that time.
I had a jam on the stage where you hold the bag in your weak hand. Cost me about 15 seconds to fix in the dark.
Then I think I got a spurious procedural which I didn't argue at the time. Oh well. I should have.

I had a jam on the stage where you hold the bag in your weak hand. Cost me about 15 seconds to fix in the dark.

No flashlight? I had my eyes closed for a few minutes before I shot and had no trouble, but pretty much everyone else in my squad used a light.

After my malfunction on another flashlight-optional stage, the SO told me someone had spent 20+ seconds trying to rack a slide after a failed reload, but couldn't figure out how to grasp it with a handheld light. That's got to hurt.

No flashlight? I had my eyes closed for a few minutes before I shot and had no trouble, but pretty much everyone else in my squad used a light.

After my malfunction on another flashlight-optional stage, the SO told me someone had spent 20+ seconds trying to rack a slide after a failed reload, but couldn't figure out how to grasp it with a handheld light. That's got to hurt.

I grabbed the bag with my weak hand, and on the buzzer went to a freestyle grip. After 2 shots the bag handle depressed my mag release which ejected the mag maybe half a cm and it was stopped by the bottom of my hand. The gun jammed...was dark enough that I couldn't exactly see what kind of jam it was. I cleared it and when I went to present the gun again it went *click*.

I dumped the mag, set the bag down, grabbed a fresh mag and chambered a round...then I remembered that all shots had to be taken with the bag in hand so I picked up the bag in my weak hand and continued on with the stage. Was definitely not a graceful stage for me.

I got a procedural on another stage for my gun running dry but not going to slidelock and doing a reload.

Last edited:
I got a procedural for my gun running dry but not going to slidelock and doing a reload.

[thinking]

There were a few suspect procedurals in my squad. I think they're trying to be really strict (legitimate cover and start-reload-in-the-open calls galore) but catching more than a few false-positives.

I got a procedural on another stage for my gun running dry but not going to slidelock and doing a reload.
I had a similar thing happen to me some years back. I ran my gun dry, but it didn't lock back and I had lost count so I didn't realize the gun was dry. I left cover to approach the next set of targets. I pulled the trigger -- click. I did a tap, rack, the slide locked opened, so I reloaded and continued. The SO gave me a procedural for leaving cover with an unloaded gun. I argued, but was unsuccessful.

I had a similar thing happen to me some years back. I ran my gun dry, but it didn't lock back and I had lost count so I didn't realize the gun was dry. I left cover to approach the next set of targets. I pulled the trigger -- click. I did a tap, rack, the slide locked opened, so I reloaded and continued. The SO gave me a procedural for leaving cover with an unloaded gun. I argued, but was unsuccessful.

Yup.
I realized it was dry and reloaded...was behind cover and he gave me a procedural.
I couldn't figure out what I could have done to avoid it...but whatever. I didn't argue it then so it stays. It's not like my time was that great anyway.

I also thought it was funny how bad an advertisement the pick-up stage was. Going into it, a few people were planning to buy the gun in question after the match, but after having people ride the odd cylinder release so it wouldn't fire, pop the cylinder out while shooting, short-stroke the thing like crazy, and throw rounds everywhere when using the sights, I don't think anyone that shoots the match will be buying one soon.

I also thought it was funny how bad an advertisement the pick-up stage was. Going into it, a few people were planning to buy the gun in question after the match, but after having people ride the odd cylinder release so it wouldn't fire, pop the cylinder out while shooting, short-stroke the thing like crazy, and throw rounds everywhere when using the sights, I don't think anyone that shoots the match will be buying one soon.

I understand why they do it, but I don't think pickup guns have a place in major matches. If they want you to try their stuff, have a demo range, or make it a side match.

What was the pickup gun. Last year they had two pickup guns. BOTH were NOT compliant with IDPA rules [thinking].

It was the bodyguard.
I short stroked it, so did my brother.

The .38 revolver. Presumably they thought it would be more user-friendly than the .380 automatic version. Oops.

Also, I fumbled my draw right after your brother told me not to. Down five on that charger.

EDIT: Wait a sec, some people reading this may be shooting my division on Saturday! For those people:

1. The pickup gun is a side-by-side shotgun.
  2. Ignore cover and reloading rules. They don't really care.
  3. Flashlight not required at all. Leave it at home!

[smile]

Last edited:
It was the bodyguard.
I short stroked it, so did my brother.

I hate that with pick up guns! They never let you try the trigger first either. I might stop by the store tonight and "check one out"... lol. The pics look like the cylinder spins the opposite of other S&W revos- is that correct??

Wow! You're right. Why in the hell would they do that?

No idea, but I'm not sure it really matters. They don't have you reload it or anything.

The main trick was to come all the way off the trigger, and not to take a high hold on the gun (which is where the cylinder release is). Other than that, it's not any different than a J-Frame.

No idea, but I'm not sure it really matters. They don't have you reload it or anything.

The main trick was to come all the way off the trigger, and not to take a high hold on the gun (which is where the cylinder release is). Other than that, it's not any different than a J-Frame.

It shouldn't matter much- just an observation- that is anti S&W to rotate that way. On the high hold- on a small gun that's exactly what you want to do... wtf!

Back
Top Bottom