• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2011 MetroWest Tactical IDPA Match Results

Club Match - January 22, 2011
"2011 Nor'Easter Match"

CDP Champion: Kevin Wagner, CDP/SS 164.87 (13)
ESP Champion: Andrew MacGray. ESP/EX 118.11 (26)
SSP Champion: Hanwei Hsieh, SSP/MA 117.79 (48)
ESR Champion: Gene Gelberger, ESR/MA 125.13 (12)
SSR Champion: Dave Solimini, SSR/EX 147.14 (14)

John damn quick turn around considering when you left and your ride home- good seeing you and thanks for cranking these out!

John damn quick turn around considering when you left and your ride home- good seeing you and thanks for cranking these out!

Indeed. I'm amazed at how fast you get these out. Thanks.

Thanks... Having the laptop at registration and getting all the shooters in the system before the match helped out a lot. I was also able to enter my entire squad while still in the clubhouse while I was waiting for the other two squads to finish up.

Kudos for six great stages and the super fast turnaround on the results. To the competitors, you're all truly amazing shooting so fast. Spending the better part of six hours in 15-20 degree cold had me shooting slower than proverbial molasses in January and wore me out (asleep by 8:30 that evening). Fortunately the lube for my 1911 runs better than I do at those temps ;-)

Maybe if you tried using a flashlight on a flashlight stage? Just sayin'....

I had a moment where I thought I was super human. Next time I'll use a flashlight on a lowlight stage...or just do it in 19 seconds like I did the 2nd time around (with no flashlight)

Ior just do it in 19 seconds like I did the 2nd time around (with no flashlight)

Thinking of this stage specifically..... We all have the skills to hit down 0's at the longer distance with the flashlight and "fast"

I do not see how running down to the 5 yard line and then doing a "bill drill" is the fastest way to go even with your super ninja skills.

Its an easy one to setup and I would be really curious if we set it up again and ran it 6 times each what the results would be. Heck I might even say lets wear "cleats" to help with traction.... I bet your brother can do it faster shooting it with the light and from the barrels [smile]

Thinking of this stage specifically..... We all have the skills to hit down 0's at the longer distance with the flashlight and "fast"

I do not see how running down to the 5 yard line and then doing a "bill drill" is the fastest way to go even with your super ninja skills.

Its an easy one to setup and I would be really curious if we set it up again and ran it 6 times each what the results would be. Heck I might even say lets wear "cleats" to help with traction.... I bet your brother can do it faster shooting it with the light and from the barrels [smile]

There's less room for mistakes by shooting Bill Drills and running. If I'd done the running method, I'd have done remarkably better overall.

There's less room for mistakes by shooting Bill Drills and running. If I'd done the running method, I'd have done remarkably better overall.

I watched some folks do the running method, and I think they were faster. I was using a revolver, and doing a running reload in the dark seemed to me to be contra-indicated. So I stayed at the barrels.

It's not that the raw time of shooting it either way would be too different... just that one would most likely have all down zero's by running the lanes and doing Bill Drills. My raw time standing at the drums compared to De's raw time running each lane was within a second of each other. The difference was he had less points down.

I guess I am curious what my time would have been had I run each lane though [smile]

Last edited:
I'd like to test this as well. I honestly think it depends on the skill of the shooters. IMO I don't think it would be faster for good shooters to run down and back... even if this time saves splits and you can do the reloads while backing up. I watched one shooter go down the left, shoot and come back (longer side of stage). It must have cost at least 4 secs in extra movement.... that's a LOT of time for splits... I also can't see ANYONE doing this with regular lighting...

That about sums it up at 13 yards and 10 yards outdoors would anyone really run up to the targets...

No, but troubleshooting my light problems cost me at least 10 seconds. Running a flashlight != regular lighting. Maybe when I'm better, it'll be the same, but for now, it's not even close.

If I had sneakers on instead of boots I could have shaved another second, maybe two off my time.
I'm not saying it's the best method...but it would be if you didn't wanted to forego the flashlight.

I got to say De, it is a joy watching you do the stages differently then everyone else.

I was watching the helmet cam videos and I'm not seeing the benefit for them, what should those videos be capturing? Course layout? Gun position?

Last edited:
The link shows me that Hanwei and De just didn't have the camera positioned well enough. In the link above I can clearly see the advantages, showing me thinks like grip, reloads and muzzle flip. Very useful when trying to improve. Ty for the link!

I was watching the helmet cam videos and I'm not seeing the benefit for them, what should those videos be capturing? Course layout? Gun position?

Well... yes, besides the cool factor, etc... having video of yourself (1st person) gives you a literal "replay" button and allows you to review exactly how you shot each stage. It shows your (mental) mistakes, whether you were calling your shots or not, etc. Videos from behind (someone else recording) are good too... and show different things.

Honestly, my roommate got the Go Pro Hero HD camera for Xmas and I wanted to try it out [smile] So... that's why the videos were 1st person this time around. We may go back to having someone else record... or both... or whatever. Regardless of the type... you can always glean productive information from videos of yourself shooting.

Edit: For instance, if you watch my video... on Stage 4 (the second stage shown in the video) on the last 4 targets... you can see that I need to work on my transitions. After I take 2 shots on the first target (of the last 4) and move the gun to the next target... I swing/move the gun too far past the next target... and I have to back-track and bring the gun back on target before I break the shot. I "overshoot" the last 3 targets this way. Ideally I want to break the shot as soon as the gun is on target... and not waste time having to get back on target.

Last edited:
The link shows me that Hanwei and De just didn't have the camera positioned well enough. In the link above I can clearly see the advantages, showing me thinks like grip, reloads and muzzle flip. Very useful when trying to improve. Ty for the link!

How would you suggest the camera be positioned next time? I was actually thinking about this earlier. The camera was angled too high for my brother... but I thought it was pretty spot on for me.

Oh, and I don't need a video to tell me that I need to work on my reloads [wink]

Your camera view was a bit high, De's was way too high. Looking at link that Jar post, the girl's view was slightly skewed to the right but it clearly showed the gun to the point where I was able to answer initial question of the benefits.

Again, it was a pleasure to watch you and your brother shoot. I was able to learn a lot. Given time I will competing against you for top spot in the matches.

I'll try a lower angle next time around [grin]

It was good shooting with you too. Looking forward to the next match!

2011 MWT Match Results

Club Match - March 26, 2011
"Season Opener"

CDP Champion: Kevin Wagner CDP/SS 173.58 (49)
ESP Champion: Anthony Mills ESP/SS 121.76 (52)
SSP Champion: Matt Holmes SSP/MA 113.56 (18)
ESR Champion: no competitors
SSR Champion: Gene Gelberger SSR/MA 140.32 (25)

Attachments

• MWT MARCH 2011 CLUB MATCH Results.pdf
    19.4 KB · Views: 47
  • MWT MARCH 2011 CLUB MATCH Stage Details.pdf
    58.4 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Introduction to IDPA Clinic Match Results

Thanks to all who participated in this year's Introduction to IDPA clinic... here are the match results.

Attachments

• INTRO TO IDPA 2011 Match Results.pdf
    12 KB · Views: 10
  • INTRO TO IDPA 2011 Stage Details.pdf
    16.6 KB · Views: 6
Back
Top Bottom