2010 S&W Indoor IDPA Nationals

I may be way off base but I am still curious as to the reason as the "trying to keep it to serious IDPA shooters" does not make sense.

Really not wanted to start a IPSC vs. IDPA argument. More just wanted to have a healthy discussion and say I was really bummed to not be able to shoot this match.

I would be running the 34 in SSP EX though[smile]

Well I can't find the "trying to keep it to serious IDPA shooters" statement in the rule book so I can't speculate. You do have a valid point as "other" types of shooting events don't require this. I would contact Mike per Dave B's suggestion. And I know you have a long haul... but there is another sanctioned match before the Indoor Nats- Chilly Monkey in CT. www.matchreg.com

You really do need to find a way to shoot that fine gun but do it in ESP and you will more likely to compete with some of those fancy 2011 type guns that some people use! [laugh]

No, to be honest it appears what they are looking to do is keep the USPSA shooters from showing up and winning.
I think JAR is correct, in that the sanctioned match requirement for one to shoot at an IDPA Nationals, is to weed out shooters that seldom participate in IDPA but would take a slot at the Nationals from those who do.

Many of the posters in this thread are both USPSA and IDPA shooters. Most of those shot and/or worked one or more of the three IDPA State Championship Matches or the an IDPA Regionals held in In New England this year.

It’s not IDPA HQs fault you chose to live where you did or that you got your wife pregnant. IDPA would be happy to take your money.

Respectfully,
jkelly

Then expand your knowledge. USPSA Handgun Nationals requires you to earn a slot to enter. http://www.uspsa-nationals.org/Slot_policy_revised_3-2007.pdf

Actually you are very much wrong.

Clubs are given a certain number of spots due to their participation as a whole, these are then given out to shooters that are interested. It is very possible to shoot the nationals with only local matches as experience.

Well I can't find the "trying to keep it to serious IDPA shooters" statement in the rule book so I can't speculate. You do have a valid point as "other" types of shooting events don't require this. I would contact Mike per Dave B's suggestion. And I know you have a long haul... but there is another sanctioned match before the Indoor Nats- Chilly Monkey in CT. www.matchreg.com

You really do need to find a way to shoot that fine gun but do it in ESP and you will more likely to compete with some of those fancy 2011 type guns that some people use! [laugh]

[smile]I do love beating guys with $2,000 guns [wink]

I had a great time with a great bunch of shooters. Not my best outing, but it was fun and a good experience.

Will post more when I finish taking the dump I've been holding in for the past 5 hours and a shower.

I will post videos up after Saturday.

Had a great time as well. Very cool experience. It was good to see everyone today!

You guys didn't answer the key question: Which brother beat the other? [wink]

I'm shooting tomorrow. That alarm clock is going to go off real early [thinking]

I'm shooting tomorrow. That alarm clock is going to go off real early [thinking]

He beat me I think. He did the math so I expect some errors.
Neither of us shot great. He ended up getting a few procedurals which was pretty costly. I got one myself for stupidity.

On the last stage I had 1 misfire and 1 jam which took quite a bit of time to resolve. Of course it has to happen on the stage with a disappearing target. That happened to me at NE Regionals too I think.
I remember seeing the case backwards in the ejection port moving forward and backwards with the slide. The ejection pin was actually inside the case which prevented the case from dropping down or moving. The funniest thing is when I went to pick up my mag I got this which I've never seen before (A big middle finger)
o5vz9z.jpg

2hxt4lf.jpg

To sum everything up:
You will receive a knife, a small LED light clip, a hat, and a bunch of promotional magazines and catalogs.

It is 12 stages long. The staff was very good about getting people moving. Our squad had finished 9 stages as well as the chrono and gun weighing before lunch at 12:00 (Which was provided for us). We finished up the last 3 stages maybe around 3:00?

It was very tiring. Both my brother and I fell asleep on the floor of the range between stages 10 and 11.

m8d9c7.jpg

23m3ifc.jpg

I came to this thread expecting something different... [rolleyes]

Dave, this is De we're talking about.

I'm pretty sure I won this round... but not gracefully by any means. [smile]

I have to take the speed down a notch... and take the accuracy up a notch.

Last edited:
Ah...Squad 11! The match was very well administered! I shot with Han & De. They kept me on my toes (Damn Go-Fast Youngins!) Oh bonus too as I aced the chrony this year :)

Jon,
Nice shooting today. I think you got half of the down points that me and my brother did.

Its not speed or accuracy. Its speed and accuracy. When you accept that you can have both, then you will. It's quite the mental hurdle

That's more what I meant to say. At this point... I'm going a bit too fast. I'm simply getting too many points down. I need to find a happier medium. If I just took the speed down a notch (ie: take a few more seconds per stage) it would allow me to increase my down zero count... which will improve my overall match scores greatly.

Is that what you meant? If not, please expound... as I welcome anything that will help me improve.

Ah...Squad 11! The match was very well administered! I shot with Han & De. They kept me on my toes (Damn Go-Fast Youngins!) Oh bonus too as I aced the chrony this year :)

It was great shootin with you Jon! You kicked ass today [grin]

Yesterday was just one of those days where the shots felt really good but the hits where just not there. Had a great time though and have no regrets shooting this match. good luck to the friday and saturday squads. I wish i could have set the bar a little higher for ya.

That's more what I meant to say. At this point... I'm going a bit too fast. I'm simply getting too many points down. I need to find a happier medium. If I just took the speed down a notch (ie: take a few more seconds per stage) it would allow me to increase my down zero count... which will improve my overall match scores greatly.

Is that what you meant? If not, please expound... as I welcome anything that will help me improve.

I think what he is saying is, in order to improve accuracy you do not neccesarily have to reduce speed. Once one is able to look at speed AND accuracy as two seperate skills rather than somehow one being tied to the other the better off you will be.

If your hits were not good, you need to improve accuracy. It has nothing to do with how fast you went.

At least this is my $.02

Yep Jay6 is correct
how many points you get on a stage and the time on the stage aren't correlated. you get points by shooting with great care and a good time by getting moving efficiently in and out of position, and having a good plan

Written by Brian Enos
Don't think in terms of ".vs".

Learn to see what you need to see to shoot the A at the earliest opportunity, instead of doing things like slowing down or speeding up.

If you try to "slow down to shoot the points," your gun's barrel will be pointed at the A-zone for a variable period of time, before you actually fire the shot.

If you try to "speed up," you usually won't see enough to call your shots.

So it's better to forget both and learn how to keep your eyes open "read the sights." Everything you need to know is found right there.

Well I wouldn't argue with Jay or Supermoto... but... there is often a correlation (maybe not "vs") between speed and accuracy... sometimes. Here's why. When you are going too fast, you are not allowing yourself to get the shots you need. Essentially you are getting sloppy and letting speed dictate your shots where you should be letting your shots dictate the speed. Remember- it's not the actual shooting that needs to be so fast.. it's everything in between.

That is the beauty of this sport... we are all trying to do the same thing- get speed and accuracy! Getting accuracy at speed is what takes all the effort. Speed OR Accuracy is something most of us can do already... it's just getting it all together. Easy right? [laugh]

Well I wouldn't argue with Jay or Supermoto... but... there is often a correlation (maybe not "vs") between speed and accuracy... sometimes. Here's why. When you are going too fast, you are not allowing yourself to get the shots you need.

The correlation is there because you put it there, you can never shoot to fast, you can only shoot to inaccurately. I never come off a stage and said "I wished I shot that slower". Its always about the accuracy. See what you need to see for that shot, no more no less.(sometimes you see to much and sometimes you don't see enough, the hard part is finding the balance

Speed will come from economy of motion, seeing better and moving better

The correlation is there because you put it there, you can never shoot to fast, you can only shoot to inaccurately. I never come off a stage and said "I wished I shot that slower". Its always about the accuracy. See what you need to see for that shot, no more no less.(sometimes you see to much and sometimes you don't see enough, the hard part is finding the balance

Speed will come from economy of motion, seeing better and moving better

I don't think we are really arguing, but saying something in different ways maybe. My point is at a given skill level... if you try to go too fast throughout the COF, there is a chance you won't being getting acceptable sight pictures and get inaccurate shots. I see it all the time with me and others... you push too fast and get crappy shots. It's not the actual shooting fast that is the problem it's the shooting too fast while not getting good shots! I train to shoot more efficiently... but there is a point where the eyes, hands, etc can't do what it needs to do in a shorter time. It happens to all of us one in a while.. otherwise we wouldn't get Mikes!

I don't think we are really arguing, but saying something in different ways maybe. My point is at a given skill level... if you try to go too fast throughout the COF, there is a chance you won't being getting acceptable sight pictures and get inaccurate shots. I see it all the time with me and others... you push too fast and get crappy shots. It's not the actual shooting fast that is the problem it's the shooting too fast while not getting good shots! I train to shoot more efficiently... but there is a point where the eyes, hands, etc can't do what it needs to do in a shorter time. It happens to all of us one in a while.. otherwise we wouldn't get Mikes!

Well, if you are going to shoot crappy hits, you mights as well do it fast. no one wants to shoot slow and miss [wink]

Tension and expectation is what causes your eyes and hands to be slow. I feel it all the time when shooting Bill drills. I can't run splits under .18s because I'm trying to move my finger fast. If I just shoot, I can run .15s

Expectation is a killer, if you expect to go fast, you will sacrifices accuracy to do so

Back
Top Bottom