• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2010 S&W Indoor IDPA Nationals

So... what bunch of guys sat staring at the computer screen at 11:59 Saturday with credit card in hand?

Not me... I'll be shooting Thursday. But thats OK, it's the Thursday squads that set the standards for the entire match.

So... what bunch of guys sat staring at the computer screen at 11:59 Saturday with credit card in hand?

Not me... I'll be shooting Thursday. But thats OK, it's the Thursday squads that set the standards for the entire match.

Tim- the match always fills up quick on Saturday, some of us have attended this match before have learned this. Plus most locals try to shoot Saturday to avoid time off from work and so we can attend the awards ceremony Saturday night as well.

Set the standards high when you shoot!!

Are they still making you shoot on major match in order to register?

I still do not understand why that is?????
If that is not the case I would really think hard about signing up to shoot Thursday.

Is the S&W 945 CDP Legal?

It weighs under 41oz, its a .45. The only thing I can see is the mag release button may be too big?

Anyone have the definitive answer on this?

It weighs under 41oz, its a .45. The only thing I can see is the mag release button may be too big?

Anyone have the definitive answer on this?
Tim
I don't think that the 945 with a magazine is CDP legal, but you will be shooting at the SMITH and WESSON Winter Nationals. The 945 is listed at 40.5 oz on the S&W site. A magazine weighs more then 0.5 ozs so it should be over the 41.0 oz limit for CDP, ESP should be good.

Weigh it with a magazine and see or check with the people at the Winter Nationals.

Respectfully,
jkelly

Are they still making you shoot on major match in order to register?

I still do not understand why that is?????
If that is not the case I would really think hard about signing up to shoot Thursday.

They do that because it's a national championship that always sells out. They want the limited spots to go to reasonably serious IDPA shooters. The regular nationals requires two.

At the 2009 Winter Nationals they did in fact weigh your gun with an empty magazine so I would see if you could get it weighed before you get a DQ. As far as the link to the Nationals where there was one 945 in the match, I don't know if they weighed guns at that match. Also if they did and the shooter got DQ'd I bet his/her gear would still show up on the equipment survey.

Tim
I don't think that the 945 with a magazine is CDP legal, but you will be shooting at the SMITH and WESSON Winter Nationals. The 945 is listed at 40.5 oz on the S&W site. A magazine weighs more then 0.5 ozs so it should be over the 41.0 oz limit for CDP, ESP should be good.

Weigh it with a magazine and see or check with the people at the Winter Nationals.

Respectfully,
jkelly

Tim

Respectfully,
jkelly

don't go by the posted S&W Weight. It is on the heavy side. When they went through all the BS About gun weights when they screwed up ESR-SSR, everyone was bummed. I put a revo in an envelope and went to the post ofice and got actual weight on the public access scale (South Dennis is kinda private) 625 and 610 both made weight.

Take it to the PO Tim and weigh it. Also hope they are better organized this year. Last year it was a cluster F

With Mag in it is under the weight. I have my own postal scale.

Are you nuts Round Gun?? Going into a post office in this day and age sounds like a sure fire way to see how the "Cape Cod SWAT Team" responds?!

Are you nuts Round Gun?? Going into a post office in this day and age sounds like a sure fire way to see how the "Cape Cod SWAT Team" responds?!

Yeah- that just doesn't sound like a good idea to me either.

WRT the running of the Indoor Nats...

I personally think it went well and the stages were well designed and fun. I think they were very strict about enforcing every single rule last year- which I fundamentally don't have an issue with. In USPSA Area matches for example they are just as strict.

Now why so many people got DQ'd for ammo and gun related issues at this match is beyond me. I personally think the way they did the chrono wasn't the way I'd do it (if you used your gun first, you couldn't use the range gun).

IMO based on some of the big names that were DQ'd last year I don't expect a similar outcome this year... that's just my opinion.

At the 2009 Winter Nationals they did in fact weigh your gun with an empty magazine so I would see if you could get it weighed before you get a DQ. As far as the link to the Nationals where there was one 945 in the match, I don't know if they weighed guns at that match. Also if they did and the shooter got DQ'd I bet his/her gear would still show up on the equipment survey.

I shot last year with a 945 (Winters) and was not DQ'd. I also shot Tulsa (with a 625) and Ted was weighing guns.

They do that because it's a national championship that always sells out. They want the limited spots to go to reasonably serious IDPA shooters. The regular nationals requires two.

No, to be honest it appears what they are looking to do is keep the USPSA shooters from showing up and winning.

My first classification in SSP was a few seconds from Master (I think I would classify as "reasonably serious") but due to having a new baby this year and the lack of "major" matches within a 5 hour drive from where I live I am excluded. I may be dumb but this does not make sense to me, as no other large national level shooting match (USPSA, steel challenge, 3 gun, etc.) does this to my knowledge.

No, to be honest it appears what they are looking to do is keep the USPSA shooters from showing up and winning.

[rofl] I really don't think that's the case. Besides there already are plenty of USPSA shooters that come to major sanctioned matches. Personally I'd like more to show up... but it's an IDPA thing I guess and we can only speculate as to why the rules are the way they are. Check with the MD- there seem to be slots left and they might let you in. I hope you are using your new Glock in ESP EX. [wink]

[rofl] I really don't think that's the case. Besides there already are plenty of USPSA shooters that come to major sanctioned matches. Personally I'd like more to show up... but it's an IDPA thing I guess and we can only speculate as to why the rules are the way they are. Check with the MD- there seem to be slots left and they might let you in. I hope you are using your new Glock in ESP EX. [wink]

I may be way off base but I am still curious as to the reason as the "trying to keep it to serious IDPA shooters" does not make sense.

Really not wanted to start a IPSC vs. IDPA argument. More just wanted to have a healthy discussion and say I was really bummed to not be able to shoot this match.

I would be running the 34 in SSP EX though[smile]

My first classification in SSP was a few seconds from Master (I think I would classify as "reasonably serious") but due to having a new baby this year and the lack of "major" matches within a 5 hour drive from where I live I am excluded. I may be dumb but this does not make sense to me, as no other large national level shooting match (USPSA, steel challenge, 3 gun, etc.) does this to my knowledge.

IDPA is open to anyone. I think and maybe I'm wrong but a match of this caliber is a lot more intense than a club match or shooting a classifier. By shooting a major match it gives someone an idea of what to expect as well as to prevent someone from getting in over their head. It also helps to keep the match flowing for everyone. No disrespect to you but I know several shooters who have shot the classifier at a higher level than they can compete at. Having kids of my own I can understand what's involved with a new baby but here are several matches that easy one day matches.

Major matches: Maine State less than an hour from Litchfield
Mass State New Bedford 3 hours, NE Regional Harvard MA 2 1/2 hours
Indoor Nat'l 3 1/2 hours Ct State 4 hours

Back
Top Bottom