2009 IDPA MA State Championship - June 6 & 7

Were you thinking only the odd numbered rules with lower case subsections on even numbered pages will be enforced?

This is a Major IDPA-Sanctioned match put together by a very well-respected and seasoned Match Director and crew. The requirements to obtain and maintian that status are clearly delineated in the rulebook.

What are your expections?

Craig

I've never shot at nor been at a sanctioned match. I've never been chrono'd nor used one. I don't know what my ammo (the one that happens to be left at the gun store) will chrono at.

The vest that I use...when I left my arms up it lifts slightly over the bottom of my holster. So technically I don't think it meets the requirements but at any other match no one seems to care.

Little things like this. I'm not trying to sneak an open gun into SSP or anything.

There was no chrono last year. Any US factory 9mm ammo should have no problem making 125PF. Silver Bear and the like may not. Your glock should have no problem with the box or weight, though they didn't do that last year either. I don't remember anything either way on the equipment rules last year. I didn't hear of anyone getting dinged, but I don't know if that was because they didn't check or because no one tried to sneak anything.

Never shot a match like this.

How stringent are the rules going to be? Will we need to chrono ammo? Never done that before. Will someone check our pistols to see if they "fit in the box" and fall within the IDPA rules etc?
De,
I don't know what they will be checking for sure. They may check PF, they may check firearm size (the box) or weight. You are likely to have the position of you equipment checked discreetly by several SOs as you proceed through the stages.

Your rounds will be counted as you shoot to ensure you've loaded to "division capacity" and "cover" will be called closer than in club matches. Know your reloads, know the difference between “tactical sequence” and “tactical priority”.

Do to the large number of shooters you will be processed through the stages in a more efficient manner.

Respectfully,
jkelly

Respectfully,
jkelly

Since I am not the match director I usually stay out of these questions until I see a smart ass response that does no good helping a newer shooter.

My suggestions are this:

Make sure you know the rules.
Make sure you follow the rules
Make sure your gear is proper for your division
Make sure you have all the gear you need
Make sure you have all the ammo you need and more, re-shoots do occasionally happen (Flyer suggests 300 rounds)
Make sure the power factor of your ammo meets the minimum floor level for your division from your gun.
Have a hat, eye and ear protection, water, spare shirt, and anything else you think you need. Have spare eye and ear protection.
Make sure you have spare mags, speed loaders, moon clips. Magazines do break. Speed loaders break, moon clips get stepped on (Usually by open shooters but that is a different sport)
Holsters have been known to break, I have seen a cheap belt break at a match.

Do not think anyone will supply you with anything. You are better off that way and any water, etc supplied will be a pleasant surprise.

As for how stringent the rules will be applied, the rules are the rules. If you know them and follow them you will be fine. If you make a mistake, you will get the procedural penalty you earned. Take it, learn from it, and try not to make the same mistake twice. Don't get upset with yourself or the SO, just move on.

If you are unsure about your ammo making power factor you have time to find a buddy with a chrono and try it. There is too much variation in factory ammo lately to take a chance of a DQ at a major match because of underpower ammo. To the point, I purchased ammo with a guaranteed 130 Power factor because I do not have time to get to a range to try mine out. I may even just shoot my 357SIG factory ammo and use the Gold Dots indoors for the light show [rofl][rofl][rofl] I am shooting the PM Saturday squad after working my regular job in the AM so don't look at my targets, I don't expect this to be pretty at all.

Underwhere, If you need any gear at all send me an e mail. I have spare stuff I would be glad to let you use.

Regards,

Gary

Since I am not the match director I usually stay out of these questions until I see a smart ass response that does no good helping a newer shooter.

My suggestions are this:

Make sure you know the rules.
Make sure you follow the rules
Make sure your gear is proper for your division
Make sure you have all the gear you need
Make sure you have all the ammo you need and more, re-shoots do occasionally happen (Flyer suggests 300 rounds)
Make sure the power factor of your ammo meets the minimum floor level for your division from your gun.
Have a hat, eye and ear protection, water, spare shirt, and anything else you think you need. Have spare eye and ear protection.
Make sure you have spare mags, speed loaders, moon clips. Magazines do break. Speed loaders break, moon clips get stepped on (Usually by open shooters but that is a different sport)
Holsters have been known to break, I have seen a cheap belt break at a match.

Do not think anyone will supply you with anything. You are better off that way and any water, etc supplied will be a pleasant surprise.

As for how stringent the rules will be applied, the rules are the rules. If you know them and follow them you will be fine. If you make a mistake, you will get the procedural penalty you earned. Take it, learn from it, and try not to make the same mistake twice. Don't get upset with yourself or the SO, just move on.

If you are unsure about your ammo making power factor you have time to find a buddy with a chrono and try it. There is too much variation in factory ammo lately to take a chance of a DQ at a major match because of underpower ammo. To the point, I purchased ammo with a guaranteed 130 Power factor because I do not have time to get to a range to try mine out. I may even just shoot my 357SIG factory ammo and use the Gold Dots indoors for the light show [rofl][rofl][rofl] I am shooting the PM Saturday squad after working my regular job in the AM so don't look at my targets, I don't expect this to be pretty at all.

Underwhere, If you need any gear at all send me an e mail. I have spare stuff I would be glad to let you use.

Regards,

Gary

Thanks RGS, the only thing I'm concerned about now is the power factor. I will have to figure that out.

Just curious since I've never shot this match before, what is the meeting time for Sat afternoon shooters? About when are the squads usually finished shooting?

Apparently there is a chowderfest going on around Newport, RI the same day until 6...and well, who can say no to eating mucho chowder? [laugh]

Thanks RGS, the only thing I'm concerned about now is the power factor. I will have to figure that out.

De- I have a chrono. Not sure when we could find a time to test some ammo with your gun. But if you need to, let me know.

I will say that the WWB works pretty good out of a G34... so I don't suspect you would have problems but you can't be 100% sure till you test it.

The only chrono data I have with 9mm WWB was with my Sig P228 and it just made PF. The Glock barrels tend to faster and you do have at extra inch or so of length with the G34.

Back when I was shooting factory ammo, Winchester white box made power factor out of my Glock 17 with PLENTY of room to spare.

WWB chrono'd ~1200 fps out of my M&P9 full size (according to my spreadsheet) which would give you 138,000. It's always good to check but WWB should be fine.

Just curious since I've never shot this match before, what is the meeting time for Sat afternoon shooters? About when are the squads usually finished shooting?

Apparently there is a chowderfest going on around Newport, RI the same day until 6...and well, who can say no to eating mucho chowder? [laugh]

Sheet I have says Check in Noon to 1300////meeting 1300, start at 1330//

Guessing, I would say eat chowdah before you come. You won't make it to Newport. [grin]

What time do the Sunday squads start? There's no time info on the website that I could find.

You'll get a paper in the mail confirming your registration, mine had the time on it.

If I'm not mistaken, Sunday reg starts @ 0730 and shots start at.. 0830? I'll have to look at the paper when I get home.

Sheet I have says Check in Noon to 1300////meeting 1300, start at 1330//

Guessing, I would say eat chowdah before you come. You won't make it to Newport. [grin]

Cool thanks! Well, at least I know where I'll be eating for lunch! Not positive that I'm in, but if I am I'll see you Saturday [smile]

By the way, I chrono'ed WWB with my G34 when I first got it (with pretty much stock parts/barrels)...I remember getting around 134-139 PF. Don't count me on it though, but I'm absolutely positive it made over 125 or Minor when I did it about 1 1/2 years ago.

If you're registered for the match, you should have received a confirmation letter from me that includes the times for registation, safety briefing and competition start. If you have not recieved a letter from me, please call me or PM me as that means I do not have entry forms from you yet. There are only a couple of spots left for Sunday. Do not count on being able to show up, register and shoot this match on match day. Please call me.

Saturday morning and Sunday squads: registration is from 7:30a-8:30a; safety briefing is at 8:30a; shooting starts at 9am.

Saturday afternoon squads: registration is from 12noon-1pm; safety briefing is at 1:00p; shooting starts at 1:30p.

The kitchen will be open for breakfast and lunch on both days, though I don't think they have clam chowder on the menu.

Rules questions: The rule book will be followed. This is an IDPA sanctioned match.

Equipment: Also covered in the rule book. You're equipment will be monitored throughout the day.

Chrono: You should always plan for the likelyhood that your ammo will be chrono'd at any sanctioned match. While we didn't chrono at the State match last year, we did chrono the New England Regional match that we hosted. Do not discount this as a possibility.

BTW, when I chrono'd WWB 9mm out of my Glock 17, I got a PF around 137.

+1

Thanks to the club organizers and ROs for an awesome IDPA match! It ran so smoothly and quickly that I think some of us were surprised when we approached our last stage. I really liked the stages, not overly complicated, yet challenging enough to keep us on our toes. I'm probably going to lose some sleep from the dark stages tonight though [laugh].

Great squad, making everything happen (Gary thanks for being the camera man, your vid's being uploaded now [wink]).

Thanks to everyone that ran the match today. Great match. Fastest I've ever moved through 9 stages [smile]

I also beat my brother... so all is good in the world [grin]

When do the scores go up?! (and where can I find them?)

Thanks to everyone that ran the match today. Great match. Fastest I've ever moved through 9 stages [smile]

Scores should be on the New Bedford web site today or tomorrow.
http://rodgun-nb.org/

Respectfully,
jkelly

Yeah- a great big thanks to everyone that helped run the match. Very nice job and more importantly the team really helped make it a very fun day. Thanks again.

Thanks again to everyone on the match staff. Great stages, and we moved through quickly and efficiently. Great job by the kitchen staff too.

The match staff did a great job, creating a safe and professional match. This was my 4th match and 1st of the season. I wish that I could find time to participate in club matches also. What a great bunch of people. My friend, Greg, got his feet wet today, trying his hand at IDPA. He had a great time.

My excuse: I had a double feed in two stages: One of which was after I stepped on a pressure plate for a disappearing target (which obviously I was not able to shoot)

Scores should be on the New Bedford web site today or tomorrow.
http://rodgun-nb.org/

Respectfully,
jkelly

Nice to see you again jkelly. Was a lot of fun. Next time please remind me that strong hand is only one hand.

The match staff did a great job, creating a safe and professional match. This was my 4th match and 1st of the season. I wish that I could find time to participate in club matches also. What a great bunch of people. My friend, Greg, got his feet wet today, trying his hand at IDPA. He had a great time.

Nice meeting you. That was Greg's first time? Damn! He did a great job. No better way than to be thrown in the fire.

lol....I agree with you, De. Last years MA State was the same for me. A friend talked me into entering last year's match without prior experience. I went to a classifier, and the IDPA bug hit. The same occured with Greg, and he did well today. It was nice meeting you and your brother, Hanwei, today. I hope to see you guys at upcoming matches. You both did very well.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom