• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2 Rhode Island school districts to have parents sign storage compliance letter

When I was in gradeschool the scam was offers of insurance on which the school district a royalty. The flyer came with a little chart with lines like "Loss of one eye and loss of one arm or led - $xxx", "Loss of both legs: $yyy", etc.

Even at that age it didn't seem right that parents had to sign an I decline form. Would have pushed back hard if they tried to make me sign to not buy when my kid was in school.

Back when I was kid, the first "free breakfast" programs in the schools started. We did qualify and even if we did my parents weren't interested. They sent us a green form for our parents to fill out and return. As I recall, the questions were about finances, income, size of the family.

My government hating Republican Dad took the form drew a big X on it, didn't sign it, and told me to bring it back.

I was in the mid single digits of age at the time and I still remember it.

Pure feel-good virtue signaling.
If such a letter were to be created and sent home for signature one might consider that not signing and returning is likely to be considered de facto evidence of gun ownership. I would question whether school committees or departments have the legal authority to issue such requests with penalty of perjury <wink> <wink>
Not if they require it of all parents, even if they do not own guns.

This is only a week after one other district was trying to raise funds for an illegal student who needed to pay off a coyote.
I saw that - it was f’in unbelievable. I’ll give that woman the benefit of the doubt and assume she has a borderline IQ.

Okay…trigger warning…unpopular opinion to follow. I strongly dislike public school attitudes and practices as much as anyone else here…and they should absolutely stay in their lane and away from ANY political activism (which this is)…that said (as someone who grew up in a responsible house with loaded, unlocked guns and never had an issue) and as a parent myself…guns should be locked up if there are kids or teenagers in the house. We don’t do ourselves any favors as a 2A community when we fight the stupidity but also fail to acknowledge the reasonableness of that as a general matter. We lose credibility.

Meh, I wouldn't read too much into myself. Merely acknowledging I saw a letter doesn't show I have or do not have firearms.
Nanny states do stuff like this all the time. Hell my town had a reverse-911 that called all parents to let them know if was supposed to be very cold the next day so dress the kids warmly.
I could hear the eyes rolling all over town.

It's not like it can even help with compliance.

Reminds me, I'm supposed to go shooting with the HS Principal soon...gotta get that on the calendar :)

you should go to school districts meetings more often.
:)

actual parents with kids in the system cannot tell that to them, as you never insult the warden while in jail.
I’d get locked up. Don’t have the temperament for it anymore. When my youngest was like 7-8, he was being bullied ruthlessly, cried that he didn’t want to go back to school, the kids bullying him (mostly one very large girl) would always put stuff in his lunch so he couldn’t eat it, dump his tray on the floor etc that kind of BS and it was getting worse.

We went to the school on several occasions over about a 3 month period asking for help and they did nothing. Zero.

I was sitting on the couch one night talking to my boy, and I gave him very specific instructions on how he should handle it now because the teachers wouldn’t help.

I told him the next time someone puts something in your food, you pick up your lunch tray and you smash them across the face with it as hard as you can. And you keep smashing them with it until a teacher pulls you off. Do not strike the teacher. The school will call us to come in and take you home I’m sure. You will NOT be in trouble in this house for protecting yourself ever.

His mother got pissed at me and said you can’t tell him that! I calmly explained that yes, sometimes violence is the only answer.

Thankfully he did not have to do that, as the next basketball game I attended, where he and the very large girl were on the same team.

I made my way to the sidelines to cheer and clap among the other parents and kids and waited for the fat little f*** to come past me and waved her over smiling and said “Good game!” and then quietly added “Hey listen, I’m xxxx’s dad, I wanted to introduce myself so you’d remember me. If you ever touch his food again or put your hands on him again, I will dig a f***ing hole in the woods and bury you in it. Now go have some fun.” (No exaggeration, my exact words. I didn’t care anymore because the school wouldn’t help us).

Sure it wasn’t appropriate. I knew that going in. It did solve the problem though. Within a couple weeks he was saying how nice she was and that they’re friends now at recess (as most kids are want to be at that age).

I was much younger (he’s 25 now) and had more patience then. Nowadays I’d get locked up even if I didn’t throw a chair at the schoolboard.

4FB9017C-D7AF-4825-BACB-59E257D89F4E.jpeg

We lose more credibility when we allow ourselves to be slow boiled like frogs.

With the Left it's always about incrementalism and "common sense" this and that.

Once the parents sign this, the next thing will be "voluntary" visits by the police to make sure every thing is safely secured. Out of an "Abundance of Caution" no doubt.

About 10 years ago when the open carry movement started in Texas, a lot of people said that the radicals (carrying rifles or black powder pistols) were being unreasonable and would hurt the cause. Yet, they ended up winning that battle.

The Left figured out years ago that being "unreasonable" long enough would eventually work.

Okay…trigger warning…unpopular opinion to follow. I strongly dislike public school attitudes and practices as much as anyone else here…and they should absolutely stay in their lane and away from ANY political activism (which this is)…that said (as someone who grew up in a responsible house with loaded, unlocked guns and never had an issue) and as a parent myself…guns should be locked up if there are kids or teenagers in the house. We don’t do ourselves any favors as a 2A community when we fight the stupidity but also fail to acknowledge the reasonableness of that as a general matter. We lose credibility.

This is a personal decision as every house is going to be different. No outside agency should be telling us as parents how to conduct family business in your home. Ever. Short of abuse it’s no one’s business.

If you allow the state to insert laws and policies into your home willingly, what’s to stop them from saying now you have to put your kitchen knives in a safe, now you have to put your alcohol in safe, now you have to put your car keys in a safe, now your kids have to wear f***ing helmets going up and down the stairs, what other stupidity can the government come up with under the guise of protecting the children.

Oh and maybe after all these safes are needed, they will require us to purchase “their” line of home safes or tax us yearly for the mandatory safes emplaced in each home.

The "meet to discuss/act on creating a registry of kids whose parents have guns in their homes" part is the most concerning piece of this.
They already have that. I saw a town employee in MA show off the functions of the GIS system in the town. There was a little filter she clicked and all these little icons popped up over a bunch of houses showing households with firearms permits. The push now is to treat ”gun violence“ as a health issue, so I assume the head of the board of health in every city and town has access to the list of every firearms license household in the town. The woman heading up the BOH in my town wants to put mask mandates back in place, not that she has to, everyday before and after school I see kids walking home alone outside with masks on. I see parents driving their kids to school wearing masks in their cars. I wonder if these people hump with masks on.

They already have that. I saw a town employee in MA show off the functions of the GIS system in the town. There was a little filter she clicked and all these little icons popped up over a bunch of houses showing households with firearms permits. The push now is to treat ”gun violence“ as a health issue, so I assume the head of the board of health in every city and town has access to the list of every firearms license household in the town. The woman heading up the BOH in my town wants to put mask mandates back in place, not that she has to, everyday before and after school I see kids walking home alone outside with masks on. I see parents driving their kids to school wearing masks in their cars. I wonder if these people hump with masks on.

So town employees (not LEO) have access to this info in MA?? What department was the person in?

So town employees (not LEO) have access to this info in MA??
I don’t know how the towns filter it out or lock employees out, if at all. I just know that the GIS system is much more than just a tax assessor system. The individual I saw giving the demo was a town engineer at the time, and she wasn’t LEO. She was pointing out how useful the system is to assist police when making calls to residences to determine if there are firearms present. I would assume the police in MA would know that since they issue the licenses, anyway, but, their records apparently go into the GIS database for the town because she clicked one button and highlighted every house with a firearms license.

We lose more credibility when we allow ourselves to be slow boiled like frogs.

With the Left it's always about incrementalism and "common sense" this and that.

Once the parents sign this, the next thing will be "voluntary" visits by the police to make sure every thing is safely secured. Out of an "Abundance of Caution" no doubt.

About 10 years ago when the open carry movement started in Texas, a lot of people said that the radicals (carrying rifles or black powder pistols) were being unreasonable and would hurt the cause. Yet, they ended up winning that battle.

The Left figured out years ago that being "unreasonable" long enough would eventually work.
I agree with you. Except locking up guns around kids is actual legitimate common sense and denying that by failing to acknowledge it makes you seem unreasonable and therefore encourages undecided people over to the other side of the argument…now…locking guns up around kids is one thing…making it a criminal offense not to is quite another…the latter is a much better battle to fight. (Personally, I think it would be reasonable for the storage issue to be treated like a speeding ticket - a couple tickets, no bad incidents, not really a big deal. Get in an accident going 100 on a cul de sac and kill little Suzie on her trike - big problem. In other words, no real danger, pay a small fine and that’s it. Leave a gun on an elementary school playground and a kid gets killed, you’re in trouble).

Last edited:
I don’t know how the towns filter it out or lock employees out, if at all. I just know that the GIS system is much more than just a tax assessor system. The individual I saw giving the demo was a town engineer at the time, and she wasn’t LEO. She was pointing out how useful the system is to assist police when making calls to residences to determine if there are firearms present. I would assume the police in MA would know that since they issue the licenses, anyway, but, their records apparently go into the GIS database for the town because she clicked one button and highlighted every house with a firearms license.
If I were you, I would be talking to GOAL/Comm2A about this. They're already working on the state for the public disclosure; this is far worse.

If I were you, I would be talking to GOAL/Comm2A about this. They're already working on the state for the public disclosure; this is far worse.
I agree. That’s really disturbing. That’s means a freakin’ high school intern in some admin office could just look it up.

I agree with you. Except locking up guns around kids is actual legitimate common sense [...]
high quality GIF

We can literally insert every counter example from his post. They're all equally valid. When are they no longer kids? 12? 18? 26? How do we define "around?" Only when they're in the building? As long as they live there? As long as they might visit?

What is right for you in your home is for you to decide. Locking up firearms is smart for any number of reasons. But demanding folks do so, under the guise of "common sense, for the children" is inappropriate.

high quality GIF

We can literally insert every counter example from his post. They're all equally valid. When are they no longer kids? 12? 18? 26? How do we define "around?" Only when they're in the building? As long as they live there? As long as they might visit?

What is right for you in your home is for you to decide. Locking up firearms is smart for any number of reasons. But demanding folks do so, under the guise of "common sense, for the children" is inappropriate.
I just think the battle about secure storage generally is one we’re destined to lose by taking a hard line. Which will result in regulation that’s extremely hard in the opposite direction - like in Mass. On this narrow issue, I think it’s wiser to compromise. As I added to my post a few minutes after I originally posted it, I think it should be treated like speeding in a car.

I just think the battle about secure storage generally is one we’re destined to lose by taking a hard line. Which will result in regulation that’s extremely hard in the opposite direction - like in Mass. On this narrow issue, I think it’s wiser to compromise. As I added to my post a few minutes after I originally posted it, I think it should be treated like speeding in a car.
We already have a compromise.

When we teach safety classes, we talk about the importance of individuals taking responsibility for their gear, and storing it appropriately. When we discuss our protocols in person and on fora like this one, we say the same things. As a community, we seek to teach people the importance of self-regulation.

Additionally, the industry is full of companies delivering new and improved storage solutions - ones designed to decrease the friction associated with safely storing a firearm ready for personal use. Those products are advertised and reviewed everywhere from industry rags to YouTube. In MA, we make them tax-free.

Why do you propose to punish people for actions that have caused no harm?

Why do you propose to punish people for actions that have caused no harm
because it is the most eficient way of control.
make the jail rules a norm for whole society - and you can reduce the financing needs to build new jails.

have you been to a modern school lately - a more or less recent middle or a high school? it is even designed as a jail inside, corridors, movements, everything.

a courtyard in the middle you can access for lunch only as a sign of gratification for some special achievements. you name it - they got it.

have you been to a modern school lately
I teach in them, occasionally, around the state. So, yes.
- a more or less recent middle or a high school? it is even designed as a jail inside, corridors, movements, everything.
Honestly? My schools in the 90s, that were built in the 60s were way more "institutional" than the ones I go to that were built since I got out.

I don't disagree with your premise. But I'm not sure it 100% tracks.

And none of this answers why this poster wants to force people to build this societal prison for us.

We already have a compromise.

When we teach safety classes, we talk about the importance of individuals taking responsibility for their gear, and storing it appropriately. When we discuss our protocols in person and on fora like this one, we say the same things. As a community, we seek to teach people the importance of self-regulation.

Additionally, the industry is full of companies delivering new and improved storage solutions - ones designed to decrease the friction associated with safely storing a firearm ready for personal use. Those products are advertised and reviewed everywhere from industry rags to YouTube. In MA, we make them tax-free.

Why do you propose to punish people for actions that have caused no harm?
There were no storage laws where I grew up. My family was responsible and there was never even close to an issue in my home. But, I had several very scary incidents as a kid at friend's houses where my friends acted irresponsibly with their parent's guns. Nothing bad ever happened; but on more than a few occasions that was probably due to my own intervention in the situation - having been taught properly. The parents would have been furious had they found out. I'm sure they tried to teach the kids something. Nevertheless, kids will do dumb things. As I said, I think it's like speeding in a car. 9 times out of 10, nothing bad happens. Occasionally, something really bad happens. Does anyone really think we should abolish all speed limits and not let cops give out speeding tickets? Now, I'm not saying revoke FIDs/LTCs, make people criminals, etc.

The compromises we make in MA are silly ones that never should have made though, the situation remains here that failure to put a $3 suitcase lock on a nylon range bag with a SIG P226 is potentially a 10 year state prison felony. That's beyond absurd. I've been trying to say, I think instead of focusing on "you can't make me do X", on this one issue, we should focus on "if X happens, you can't crucify me" - which is precisely what happens now under MA law.

There were no storage laws where I grew up. My family was responsible and there was never even close to an issue in my home. But, I had several very scary incidents as a kid at friend's houses where my friends acted irresponsibly with their parent's guns. Nothing bad ever happened; but on more than a few occasions that was probably due to my own intervention in the situation - having been taught properly. The parents would have been furious had they found out. I'm sure they tried to teach the kids something. Nevertheless, kids will do dumb things. As I said, I think it's like speeding in a car. 9 times out of 10, nothing bad happens. Occasionally, something really bad happens.
that's an awful lot of "what if" followed by nothing. Should the parents of those kids really be punished when nothing happened?

Does anyone really think we should abolish all speed limits and not let cops give out speeding tickets?
You're asking this on the wrong forum. I'll give you the one word answer: yes.

I trimmed out the rest.

Suffice to say, empowering the state to enforce anything eventually includes them pointing guns at people. So you think that's an appropriate end for "failure to put a $3 suitcase lock on a nylon range bag with a SIG P226"?

16" SBRs on the NFA, but no handguns. [rofl2]
The NFA should be repealed. It's silly, irrational and never should have been passed. I'm with you there. But, in MA, we are clearly only a generation or so away from being Canada and, my point is, all of us are, in a sense, a $3 suitcase lock away from a 10 year felony for exercising a Constitutional right. That's the tyranny that exists right now and all our efforts have made zero progress at changing it for more than 20 years. Maybe its time for a new strategy - fight incrementalism cloaked in "common sense" with the same of our own, except using actual common sense. But, we may have to agree to disagree.

The NFA should be repealed. It's silly, irrational and never should have been passed. I'm with you there. But, in MA, we are clearly only a generation or so away from being Canada and, my point is, all of us are, in a sense, a $3 suitcase lock away from a 10 year felony for exercising a Constitutional right. That's the tyranny that exists right now and all our efforts have made zero progress at changing it for more than 20 years. Maybe its time for a new strategy - fight incrementalism cloaked in "common sense" with the same of our own, except using actual common sense. But, we may have to agree to disagree.
Except there have been improvements in the last 10. We got rid of LTC-Bs. We got rid of adult licensing for defensive sprays. We can have electronic defense weapons.
On the horizon are the end of mag and AW bans.

Heller was supposed to be the end of "safe storage" laws nationwide. With Bruen, we can probably even renew an attack on that. Why would you propose we not?

Back
Top Bottom