1st Year Turkey Hunting (Western Mass)

This will be my first season hunting in Western Mass. I moved here not too long ago and I really do not know of any place to do so. I picked up a shotgun last week for about a $100 just to start out.

If someone could please PM me with some sort of place where I can go an do some decent bird hunting, I would be greatly appreciative.

Thanks in advance,

~Tony

Fall is defiantly not the easiest time to start turkey hunting. There much harder to locate than spring time birds because there not as vocal. Iam no turkey expert, I ve only shot my first turkey this spring. Also its a much shorter fall season than in the spring (1 week compared to a mounth, at least in NH.) My advice would be to buy some calls and an audio CD and practice on you calls for next years spring season.

Turkeys are everywhere, and theres nothing like when a big tom gobbles to you hen call when your sitting in the woods with your shot gun and you know hes comming in. In the fall you need to locate the flocks for they will not come to these calls. My advice to you would be get ready for deer season and if you happen to see some turkeys while waiting for bambi (and it is still fall turk season) take one out.

Hope this helped,
Quinn

Quinn,

Thanks a lot for the advice. I will pick up a call and take it from there. Maybe I am just too ambitios to impress the wife and show her I do know how to hunt. She has no faith in me...

Oh well...

Thanks again!

Fall is defiantly not the easiest time to start turkey hunting. There much harder to locate than spring time birds because there not as vocal. Iam no turkey expert, I ve only shot my first turkey this spring. Also its a much shorter fall season than in the spring (1 week compared to a mounth, at least in NH.) My advice would be to buy some calls and an audio CD and practice on you calls for next years spring season.

Turkeys are everywhere, and theres nothing like when a big tom gobbles to you hen call when your sitting in the woods with your shot gun and you know hes comming in. In the fall you need to locate the flocks for they will not come to these calls. My advice to you would be get ready for deer season and if you happen to see some turkeys while waiting for bambi (and it is still fall turk season) take one out.

Hope this helped,
Quinn

X1

In the fall archery season for deer if a turkey happens to walk by in range during the season he/she gets an arrow. This is also the way I approach the second fall bear season.

In the fall the best thing is to find a flock and bust it up. After the birds scatter they can be called back in.

Bob

Back
Top Bottom