1st SKS for me

I was messing around on Gunbroker and before I knew it I picked up my first SKS. Its an all matching number 1956 Tula Letter gun. Its been refurbed, but it is in nice condition and it should be fun to shoot. Here is a picture from the auction:

Russian SKS.jpg

it looks good, at least it aint the black painted referb. I looked at one a while back that had the bolt and bayo painted black. I have a russian that is all matching but the stock and bolt carrier and has the nice colored stock like yours

I was messing around on Gunbroker and before I knew it I picked up my first SKS. Its an all matching number 1956 Tula Letter gun. Its been refurbed, but it is in nice condition and it should be fun to shoot. Here is a picture from the auction:

View attachment 18806

That's a sweet ride Ash. Something about those Russian SKS's really knocks my socks off. They're so thin, so well balanced and shoot like a wet dream.

That looks like a fine example, and as someone already pointed out it doesn't have the blackened bolt. The refurbs usually did and most all refurbs have some force-matched, electro-pencil'd parts somewhere.

The Russians I've owned have all been sub 3" guns at 100 yds, which is pretty damn good for a 55-65 year old mil-surp running Wolf ammo.

Enjoy!

That may actually be a little better than you think. The refurbs did not receive the garnet-ruby shellac. If it turns out that the stock crossbolt has diamond cartouches around it, and the numbers match on the stock, you might have just scored BIG TIME. Most of the Letter Series guns have BBQ paint and brown stocks.

Keep your fingers crossed.

I forgot I scored a internet jem myself

View attachment 18807 Romanian leather sling, hop I have it slung right.
I will 2nd the russians shooting and feeling well in the hands, heck my trigger aint that bad either. The romi in the pic has a slightly better trigger feel.
Now you will be looking all around for more things SKS. If you had told me I would be searching the net all hours looking for a romanian sling before I got the
SKS bug, I would say you where nuts......

both guns will shoot sub 2" groups with wolf milspec ammo off a rest no problem

Looks great Ash. Cant beat the look of a Russian SKS. Makes me wanna pick one up for myself to keep my Norinco company [smile]

That may actually be a little better than you think. The refurbs did not receive the garnet-ruby shellac. If it turns out that the stock crossbolt has diamond cartouches around it, and the numbers match on the stock, you might have just scored BIG TIME. Most of the Letter Series guns have BBQ paint and brown stocks.

Keep your fingers crossed.

Martin, can you explain what a letter series means? Is it that the serial number has a letter or letters in it? I will have to dig out my Rusky SKS and see what it is. Thanks.

Good question, Niner.

All the Russians have Cyrillic letters preceding the serial. But in mid 1955, the Russians stopped stamping the years on their receiver covers and stocks. Instead, a Tula factory star was added to the left side of the receiver, and a letter was added after the normal serial number. Production was only at the Tula arsenal, and continued until early 1956 when the SKS production ceased in Russia.

letter_series_009.jpg

letter_series_010.jpg

The three well known series are the D (like mine), the I, and the K. Others are said to exist, but I haven't seen them pictured - yet it is possible.

D = Д
I = И
K = К

Thanks Martin.... very informative. Mine is a 53 so I won't bother getting it out of the safe and has the Tula star and date on the receiver cover.

Martin- Mine has the И

There are faint cartouches around the cross bolt, but it is hard to make them out. The stock is stamped with the same serial number as the rifle, but there is a partial line of X's a few inches above the serial number. That is why I thought it was a refurb. There are stamps and small inspection marks on the bolt, on the stock and on the receiver (especially under the rear sight and forward part of the receiver). I can try and take some pictures tomorrow or Thursday.

what a beauty. I need to start screwing around on gunbroker more often.

I'll add this back in here:

triangle "cartouches" or stampings as I like to call them, are Tula in origin. They also used square stampings that usually had two letters inside of the square, as well as circular stampings with a letter inside.

Last edited:
Martin- Mine has the И

There are faint cartouches around the cross bolt, but it is hard to make them out. The stock is stamped with the same serial number as the rifle, but there is a partial line of X's a few inches above the serial number. That is why I thought it was a refurb. There are stamps and small inspection marks on the bolt, on the stock and on the receiver (especially under the rear sight and forward part of the receiver). I can try and take some pictures tomorrow or Thursday.

As you have lined out numbers, the stock is not original to the gun. It's a refurb, but it is what is called a "light" refurb. The white bolt and lack of heavy black paint mean that the action was in acceptable finish quality and tolerances. Likely, only the stock was replaced, which is still somewhat uncommon. Most of these guns received the full refinish and refit process.

I need to get a Ruskie SKS sometime soon. My Yugo shoots just fine but the huge-ass wrist (made bigger for the grenade-launcher attachment) is not very comfortable to shoot with.

Surprisingly they have not risen in relation to the prices of Chinese SKS's proportionately. I think you can still find them between $400-450. I am speaking locally. Results may vary in different locations or on auction sites.

They can be picked up for $350-400 on GB if you look around. The cost is pretty reasonable, especially if you have a C&R and can have the rifle sent directly to you.

Back
Top Bottom