1st deer taken, opening day, NH, 5 pointer

Decided at 53 to get into bowhunting. Been hunting only 3 years, no luck with rifles, shotguns, or muzzleloaders. Been practicing for a few weeks, mostly from the ground, one session in a tree stand.
Owe most of this to my hunting buddy. He brought me onto private land he has invitation to, helped me pick the tree stand site, in the woods on the edge of a field with brush tips all nibbled off by deer.
1/2 an hour prior to sunset, a nice doe stepped into my view. I shot low, and she ran off. I did not see the arrow, and thought I hit her. I took off my gloves and release, and was going to go down to check for blood, when she wandered back in! I quietly put on my stuff again, she would not go back to that spot, but a nice 5 point stepped into the same spot and started nibbling the grass. Hit him a little too far back, liver shot. He ran off. I climbed down to check on blood. Did not see where he went.

Saw another hunter across the field. He had already accidentally spooked my bleeding deer that was 200 feet from the shot site, bleeding out where it bedded down, just like they say they do when hit. The buck ran off, the other hunter felt bad, but he did not know that the buck was bedded down injured. We could only track it to one point. Bleeding stopped along the tree line. Bleeding was heavy at first, then lightened up. Then stopped while the deer was running. The next day my buddy, a great tracker, spent two hours. He was able to find 2 spots of blood each 10 feet apart, then tracked hoof prints into the woods. Found it in a grove of brush. The deer apparently passed out and died a few minutes after it was spooked.

There will be some meat going to my buddy, and the other hunter who lives a mile from the field. My buddy made the difference on a retrieval or no retrieval, and the other hunter spent an hour trying to help.

None of us had a good flashlight. I will be bringing my Makita spotlight with two extra batteries for late day hunts in the afternoon.

Going to buy an Archers Choice by Nikon today. Bow is perfectly set up, but need the distance. Diamond Nitrous. Spitfire tips worked great, killing arrow can be used again. Got it marked for the one kill.

My buddy got an almost identical 5 pointer the next day at a different area 5 miles from this spot.
2008 Bowtech Nitrous #70

1stbucksept2009001final.jpg

Congratulations on your first deer with a bow. I also took up bow hunting after no luck with a rifle. I got mine the first year out and it was also a 5 pointer. I still haven't shot anything without a bow, but I get at least 1 a year.

Congrats! Similarly, I picked up bow hunting at 43 and had a friend set me up and show me the ropes. I've been extremely fortunate, and got 2 last season (spike and 4 pointer).

This season, Ive chosen different sites myself, as I want the satisfaction of having done it all on my own. I'll hold out for a bigger buck this year I think. Although, I'm a guest at one property because they want the deer population decreased, so that will be a factor.

Hopefully we will both be calling our buddies to help butcher one and share the meat!

Back
Top Bottom