1951 Tula SKS Non-refurb

Well, gentlemen. Some things are a LONG time coming, and this case is certainly no exception. Presenting another "little gunshop" find that came my way a couple of months ago. A 1951 Tula Factory SKS-45, non-refurbished.

51_tula_0021.JPG

51_tula_003.JPG

The SKS model gun is the first passion of mine, before the Mosin bug hit. And I've been needing a 1951 to nearly round out my Russian collection of all years and variants. I've passed on plenty of refurbished ones, or original ones that were priced at $600-plus. This one was already priced fairly at $425, but a little haggling brought it down to $375, and I hope the shop owner didn't see me walking on air as I stepped out his door! Only the dated cover 1955 eludes me from completing the series from 1949 to the undated 1956.

It's a matching unit, inside and out. (bolt and electropenciled gas piston not pictured)

51_tula_0041.JPG

51_tula_007.JPG

51_tula_009.JPG

51_tula_006.JPG

51_tula_005.JPG

And the tell-tale sign of the original finish is the matching numbered stock stamping breaking through the garnet shellac on the arctic birch stock. The diamond stamps around the crossbolt, the acceptance mark on the right side of the stock, and various other original cartouches can also be found on the furniture.

51_tula_004.JPG

51_tula_0041.JPG

51_tula_010.JPG

51_tula_009.JPG

51_tula_0031.JPG

Not all had the bronzed-tint bayonet, as some 1951's have the bright chrome, but I'll take this one just as it is to fit safely in the vault. And per usual, thanks for looking.

51_tula_002.JPG

51_tula_001.JPG

damn it, I have yet to acquire a SKS. This thread is not helping my promise to "not shop or buy any more guns this year"

If you had come to the NES shoot today, you could have shot my russian sks and Ray's chinese. There would then have been no hope for you [smile]

IMG_0920.jpg

It now has a Bayonet, but i am too tired after cleaning all the guns I brought to take a picture right now.

If you had come to the NES shoot today, you could have shot my russian sks and Ray's chinese. There would then have been no hope for you [smile]

IMG_0920.jpg

It now has a Bayonet, but i am too tired after cleaning all the guns I brought to take a picture right now.

I will try my hardest to make it to the next shoot, as I would like to thank a few people in person for there help. Unfortunately I had to get ready for yet another week of work away from home ( NYC sucks! )

+1. NEVER again will I bring and shoot five guns at a NES event. Three hours cleaning. FUN though; My last 'bang' before my shooting-shoulder-surgery on the 20th.

MS

Oh, man. Sounds like I missed another good shoot too! SKS's abound.

The beauty of owning more than just a few SKS's (that's a hint, DRB), is that one like shown above can stay in the racks at home, while the more common shooters can get tossed in the truck, carted to the range, and fire stripper clip after stripper clip after stripper clip (and then some more) without worry of a ding or two or wearing them out. Tough semi-autos.

Back
Top Bottom