1944 1938/43 Carcano TS 8mm conversion

majspud

NES Life Member
NES Member
Snagged this one off Gunboards yesterday for what I think is short money, especially for a 7.92 WWII conversion. Of course as an 9mm conversion, I had to have it. Great bore, light, old import mark, toe repair, and a crack in the front of the hand guard. Should be here by this weekend.

LTC is out of Carcano slings...surprisingly hard to find...anyone have a line on an original leather one?

Maybe I can find one at the Plymouth show...looks like I need the cleaning rod as well.

Thanks,

T

Last edited:
Carbine has arrived and is in excellent condition. Undated (c1944) M1938/43 Carcano TS carbine (Troop Special) converted to 7.92 (8mm) Mauser. These rifles were reportedly manufactured at the Armaguerra Arms Factory in Cremona in 1944 for the Italian forces still fighting alongside the Germans. However, as this carbine is marked FNA-B (for Fabbrica Nazionale d'Armi di Brescia), it could have been converted from the original 6.5mm shortly post-war, as many 8mm conversions were sent to Arabic nations as training rifles. Serial number is electro-penciled in the receiver. Faint remains of white paint on the right side of the butt stock support this scenario, but the firing pin is uncut. Stock is numbered 13 to match the action. Bolt is pristine inside, unnumbered, and proofed ‘PG’ with ‘CG6’ in root. Period toe-splice arsenal repair shows some evidence of service. There is a small crack at each end of the hand guard, which have been glued and are stable. Stock and action are in above average condition. Bore is excellent. Sling is original, and I have a cleaning rod coming from Italy. Faint C.A.I. import mark under barrel.

Only issue is that I cannot get 8mm rounds to feed from a standard Carcano clip, although they chamber properly. Action does not close on my 8mm field gauge.

T

Last edited:
I've seen a few threads on the 8mm conversion over the years, and sentiment seems to lean toward, "Don't shoot it!"

Sometimes a rifle gets a bad rep, with no real experience to back it up.

So...

.... are you going to shoot it? [shocked]

As I would have to hand modify a Carcano clip to make it work, it's single shot only. I'll put a few new Hornady vintage loads out if it to say "I've shot it."

T

Back
Top Bottom