• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

1918 BSA S.M.L.E.

Sweeney

NES Member
This is the BSA of which Majspud spoke in his thread. I had been casually looking at Smellys and felt this was the time to pounce. Majspud had good things to say about it and JD09, the previous owner, met me so I could give it the once over. Obviously, it came home with me.

An hour or so after I got home it was completely dismantled and the bits were getting a bath. Somewhere in its live it got a coating of a waxy substance to preserve it (not cosmolene). I stripped that with solvent and lightly oiled the stock with thinned BLO. The metal bits got a good cleaning then a coat of Ballistol.

Some of the screws were buggered so I peened them back into shape. I hate buggered screws with sharp protuberances.

I just put it back together and took its first glamour shot with poor lighting and a marginal camera. It's a little shiny from being rubbed down with a Ballistol soaked rag but it will 'temper' overnight.

A big 'Thank You' to Jd09 and Majspud!

Last edited:
Fine old battle horse. I'm a No.4 fan as the world's best battle rifle, but I do respect the heritage. I have some No.I's, including the transitional Sht.LE Mk.V. :)

Back
Top Bottom