Showed up in the Mail Friday- 1918 Erfurt Luger

40 caliber

NES Member
In all my years of collecting, I never got around to getting a luger. i almost bought DRB** a couple years ago but it got away. This was on another board, I made an offer I thought he'd never take. Next thing I know it's in a box on the dining room table. Gun is all matching except the mag. Purists will tell me I have a shooter. So be it, I'll shoot it, but it's still a cool piece in the collection.
The year on the holster matches year of the gun. bore is very good to excellent.
There is something really cool about seeing the same number everywhere you look. I just don't look at the mag. ;)

IMG_5499.JPG IMG_5493.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_5498.JPG
    IMG_5498.JPG
    153.7 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_5500.JPG
    IMG_5500.JPG
    127.9 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_5491.JPG
    IMG_5491.JPG
    99.6 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_5497.JPG
    IMG_5497.JPG
    109.4 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_5492.JPG
    IMG_5492.JPG
    51.2 KB · Views: 55
The magazine can be loaded without the tool, but it makes it easier. Reproductions are cheap enough. Use Winchester White Box 115gr 9mm.

Now go forth my son, and have fun.

t

They're not very practical, they're finicky on ammo, mags are horrendously expensive, and, for reasons I cannot articulate...I want one so badly. What a beautiful example of old world craftsmanship you have. I'm envious.

Very few pistols have the...cachet of the Luger. It just oozes cool. Congrats on the grab.

Very nice! I would like to shoot one someday. I've never seen one in use at any range I've been to.

The only Luger I have owned was in the 1970's. It wasn't very accurate and the water leaked due to a shitty plug fit. As with all squirt guns, it met a stomping after the trigger got stuck.

Yours is a beauty.

They're not very practical, they're finicky on ammo, mags are horrendously expensive, and, for reasons I cannot articulate...I want one so badly. What a beautiful example of old world craftsmanship you have. I'm envious.

Very few pistols have the...cachet of the Luger. It just oozes cool. Congrats on the grab.
Same could be said about 1911s minus the expensive magazines, yet here we are. Not bashing either, they are both exceptional pieces of equipment especially given their dates of inception. My granddad has one that has it's stock still and it has wow'd me since I was little.

Same could be said about 1911s minus the expensive magazines, yet here we are. Not bashing either, they are both exceptional pieces of equipment especially given their dates of inception. My granddad has one that has it's stock still and it has wow'd me since I was little.

Agree to disagree, I guess. The wide proliferation of 1911’s in various updated forms has made it commonplace, IMO.

For me, The Luger maintains the iconic mystique. Like something Alan Ladd would use in some Film Noir.

Agree to disagree, I guess. The wide proliferation of 1911’s in various updated forms has made it commonplace, IMO.

For me, The Luger maintains the iconic mystique. Like something Alan Ladd would use in some Film Noir.
That is true. Wasn't really referring to the mystique. It definitely wins the rare ooh and ah factor. It was more reference to being as finicky, impractical by and large, and an example of old world craftsmanship. Though the lines give the Luger a much more crafted appearance.

Keeping in mind that the design was over 100 yrs ago, it was quite unique. I've never found mine finicky on ammo and I handloaded light loads for it, went bang every time with zero failures. Of course it is stock, having been captured from a German Army Major at the end of the war by my Father. Perhaps those that are hacked together with random S/Ns may be finicky, I don't know.

I think mine needs new springs; had a couple of stovepipes last time out. But I also noticed the toggle was a little sticky. A few drops of CLP and it moves freely.

t

Nice. I have three P.08's. A mostly matching 1941 byf but it has several replacement parts including the extractor, ejector, and rear toggle (which cracked). The finish is well worn so that gun is a shooter.
A 1915 DWM that is all matching except mag and is in excellent shape. Some of the straw parts still have the golden coloring. I've put 16 rounds through that gun and it's a safe queen. I oil it occasionally.
A 1917 DWM that was originally an Artillary Luger but was reworked into a P.08 at a German factory some time prior to WWII and was nickel plated sometime after making it's way to the U.S. It's quite a long story about what this gun has been through but keep an eye out on this sub-forum for a thread I will create (could be months from now) with it's transformation back to rust blue/ straw parts form. I bought the gun over 4 years ago and just a few weeks ago started tearing it apart again to semi-restore it. ;)

keep an eye out on this sub-forum for a thread I will create (could be months from now) with it's transformation back to rust blue/ straw parts form. I bought the gun over 4 years ago and just a few weeks ago started tearing it apart again to semi-restore it. ;)

45C hurry up! I'm holding my breath here! i want to see it

Very nice indeed!
Recently, a younger shooter that seems to own about everything, brought over a Luger in .30 Luger. What a sweet shooter! I think it was a Great War - era firearm...not sure.

Back
Top Bottom