• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Range time with a 1918 Eddystone

majspud

NES Life Member
NES Member
51 degrees, still, overcast; but you could see your breath. Winter's on the way.

35 rounds '69 HXP, 100 yards, seated, hasty sling. I tried the first 10 with the loop style sling, but I am more comfortable with the hasty sling.

Had to figure out where to aim again. 4 of the first 5 were high. Aimed a little below the black, and second 5 were left. Knocked the front sight a little left and switched to the hasty sling; most were in the black. Last 10 were a little high or low with the right flyer. Just need to get used to it again and I know it will shoot better. 251/350, 71%, Gentleman's C.

Very steady rifle. Haven't shot a rifle in two weeks and my neck didn't hurt me this time out.

3/1918 Eddystone, 3-GMK rebuild (thought to be General Motors Guide Lamp Division) with NOS 12/17 Winchester barrel/front sight. All other parts Eddystone save a Remington P14 rear hand guard. Mint 6 groove barrel. This is the rifle whose nose fell off after the first time I shot it - it had been only glued on. I came up with a creative way to reattach it buy drilling, inserting, and epoxying a threaded steel rod. After cutting a channel between the two pieces, I inserted a brass packing staple with the ends trimmed and facing in towards each other in little holes, filled the gap with epoxy and saw dust, sanded smooth and restained. Has held up fine since.

T

Attachments

• IMG_1908.jpg
    IMG_1908.jpg
    254.9 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_1906.jpg
    IMG_1906.jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_1905.jpg
    IMG_1905.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_1909.jpg
    IMG_1909.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_1911.jpg
    IMG_1911.jpg
    174.5 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
51 degrees, still, overcast; but you could see your breath. Winter's on the way.

35 rounds '69 HXP, 100 yards, seated, hasty sling. I tried the first 10 with the look, but I am more comfortable with the hasty sling.

Had to figure out where to aim again. 4 of the first 5 were high. Aimed a little below the black, and second 5 were left. Knocked the front sight a little left and switched to the hasty sling; most were in the black. Last 10 were a little high or low with the right flyer. Just need to get used to it again and I know it will shoot better. 251/350, 71%, Gentleman's C.

Very steady rifle. Haven't shot a rifle in two weeks and my neck didn't hurt me this time out.

3/1918 Eddystone, 3-GMK rebuild (thought to be General Motors Guide Lamp Division) with NOS 12/17 Winchester barrel/front sight. All other parts Eddystone save a Remington P14 rear hand guard. Mint 6 groove barrel. This is the rifle whose nose fell off after the first time I shot it - it had been only glued on. I came up with a creative way to reattach it buy drilling, inserting, and epoxying a threaded steel rod. After cutting a channel between the two pieces, I inserted a brass packing staple with the ends trimmed and facing in towards each other in little holes, filled the gap with epoxy and saw dust, sanded smooth and restained. Has held up fine since.

T

There are a few shooters I know that will say if it feels comfortable it's wrong.
Good to get them out any way. Maybe next year I will restart my search for a M1917.

2 boxes of HXP came today. 1 box marked 76, the other 77. No rust, just dusty. Both boxes show equal amounts of '78 and '82 head stamps.

T

Attachments

• IMG_1914.jpg
    IMG_1914.jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_1913.jpg
    IMG_1913.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_1912.jpg
    IMG_1912.jpg
    187.3 KB · Views: 45
From one box I filled the 7 strippers I used, two 20 round '69 HXP M2 ball cardboard boxes, and topped off a third with 5 more. I then took a third nearly full ammo can, and combined the ammo the from the other cans into 2 cans total. There's probably room for at least another 50 rounds in these cans over the 200 loose rounds you get.

T

Hey, I finally noticed the cans actually say 250 rounds + links. I want my 50 rounds! This is like when they cut the half gallon ice cream boxes to 1.5, charged the same price, and didn't tell anyone.

Last edited:
From one box I filled the 7 strippers I used, two 20 round '69 HXP M2 ball cardboard boxes, and topped off a third with 5 more. I then took a third nearly full ammo can, and combined the ammo the from the other cans into 2 cans total. There's probably room for at least another 50 rounds in these cans over the 200 loose rounds you get.

T

Hey, I finally noticed the cans actually say 250 rounds + links. I want my 50 rounds! This is like when they cut the half gallon ice cream boxes to 1.5, charged the same price, and didn't tell anyone.

It be more if it was linked... At least they are pre ban linked cans!

Back
Top Bottom