1916 V. Chr. Schilling 98M has arrived RANGE REPORT

majspud

NES Life Member
NES Member
1916 V. Chr. Schilling

9487 c block (?). The front trigger bolt is frozen and I can’t get it off. I’ve got it sitting and soaking in penetrating oil. So no barrel code yet. Slight to moderate amounts of Cosmoline; bore is somewhat dark, but very good with no pitting.

Matching parts: stock, but plate, hand guard, rear band (SuWu over 1936 and S/42?), ejector box, follower, trigger guard, floor plate, rear sight base (K167, S/42K), leaf (S/42G), and slide. Spring is marked WaA250, cleaning rod 05. Rear trigger screw is unmarked as is the capture screw. Front screw 70 and proof on front capture screw. Front band 6310 no proof.

Bolt, Imperial proofs, has two matching sets of parts; guts #74: safety, cocking piece, firing pin, shroud, and body and extractor are: #1947/47

More to follow. Hopefully I can get the front screw to move, and then I can dismount the action. I don’t want to bugger this.

MS

Last edited:
More pics; upload feature is balking.

025.jpg

024.jpg

023.jpg

022.jpg

021.jpg

020.jpg

019.jpg

018.jpg

015.jpg

014.jpg

013.jpg

012.jpg

011.jpg

010.jpg

009.jpg

008.jpg

007.jpg

006.jpg

005.jpg

004.jpg

Still loads of cosmolene there it looks like. Be sure to use the proper sized bit to loosen that screw! One decent B Square Gunsmith screwdriver set will pay for itself in not damaging a nice gun.

Use Kroil (the best penetrating oil I've ever used) on the screw, let it sit for a day, clamp it down tight in a vise with plenty of rags to protect the rifle and use steady pressure to break it loose.

Ray; these pics were before cleaning. Only place with a lot of Cosmo is the trigger and Sear assembly; I didn't feel like fighting with it tonight.

I got to screw to come out. I took an old large flat head screwdriver and dremeled the head to a perfect fit for the screw; it came right out after two hours of oil.

The stock seems recycled. There are two X'd out serial numbers in the channel, and the visible one is 9587 - a typo. Nothing under the butt plate. Unreadable Weimar WaA on take down disk and faint Weimar rearsenal stamp at wrist. Wrist serial matches; 9487.

Barrel is Weimar proofed with NO barrel code. Bluing is in great shape, some roughness at woodline at receiver. Light illegible import mark under front of barrel; may be St. Albans.

Rifle now sports a reproduction sling of vintage leather from Liberty Tree Collectibles in Maine. WaA63 (Stick) marked sight hood.

Action does not close on my field gauge; range time!

MS

037.jpg

036.jpg

033.jpg

032.jpg

031.jpg

030.jpg

029.jpg

028.jpg

027.jpg

026.jpg

Last edited:
Range Report

Went to the range today. I still need to get some Cosmo out of the trigger/sear. I shot 25 rounds of 1954 Yugo, seated, 100 yards, no rest; I didn't even bother to bench it. First seven rounds were right or left as I fiddled with the initial strikes; the rest dropped right on target. Bullseye on this target is 1.5 inches. This rifle is a great shooter. [smile]

First five rounds were double taps. I then brought out my secret weapon; a new 30# Wolf spring. NO problems after that. I put the original spring if after; I'll keep the Wolf in the range box for use as needed. I also noticed the firing pin tip is bent about 15 degrees; I'll tap that out when finish cleaning.

MS

011-1.jpg

010-1.jpg

Last edited:
Here is the full historical description:

1916 Mauser Geweher M1898/14 8mm-S (.323); 98M conversion by HZa Spandau; SuWw/S58 on rear band, 1936, also matching wrist stamp Su58. Early rear sight collar by Obendorf with ®, Ö37, and K Date (1934). Matching rear sight parts S/42G dated (1935) with K167 proofs. Contract manufactured receiver, V. Chr. Schilling, Suhl; 10th rarest of 11 Gew98 manufacturers in WWI. 1920 Versailles Treaty/Weimar over date; this marks the rifle as one the Weimar Republic was allowed to keep for the German army, which was limited to 100,000 men after WWI. The rifle is a bolt mismatch except for the front band (6310), serial #9487c; matching parts include barrel (early Simson/Suhl mark; mid 1920’s overhaul), receiver, ejector box and parts, rear sight and parts, middle band, stock, hand guard, bayonet lug, follower, floor plate, trigger guard, and butt plate. Bolt parts match #74 (firing pin, cocking piece, shroud, and safety with Obendorf/DMW Imperial proofs). Imperial proofed bolt body and extractor, #1947. Solid one piece beech stock with Imperial and Weimar HZa Su58 Spandau proofs, and renumbered to match. Odd proof mark on stock by take down disk is probably an entwined “BS” (or “KS”) for “Bahnschutz,” the German Railway Police. Reproduction sling from vintage leather. Light illegible import mark under front of barrel.

MS

Last edited:
The only piece my 1916/1936 V.C.S/Spandau 98M was missing was the rear sight retaining pin. I had a spare from a RC that I tried to install, but it was too fat and began to shave off as I hammered on it. I pulled it out and used a small finishing nail to clean out the hole, when I found the nail fit perfectly. I pulled it out, snipped off the ends, rounded the ends with my Dremel, and rolled the piece in cold blue, then wiped down with a patch. I knocked it in and you wouldn't really know...

Hope this doesn't offend any purists. Sorry about the pics; flashlight in one hand, camera in the other...[banghead].

MS

I have an SKS front sight block on a mint Russian that was missing the retaining pin and a nail worked for me as well plus like you I filed it down, blued, and it looks like it was there from the beginning.

Back
Top Bottom