• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

1916 spanish mauser 762 conversion question

I have been trying to find a strait answer on if these guns will safely fire commercial .308 ammo. I stumbled across one I really like. It's numbers matching, bore is great. I have been looking for a rifle that will take the same ammo as the mg42 in 308 I am building. But is there someone who can say yes or no for sure? I have read it was ammunition that caused issues, that they are fine with commercial ammo, and more that says that they were intended as low use rifles so they could shoot .308, just not often. Then there is the argument that both rounds have the same pressure, its just measured differently for each round. My head is spinning!

The M1916 Spanish Guardia Civil carbines were converted from 7x57mm to standardize ammo requirements across the Services. You'll find tons of online postings that claim the rifle was meant only for the "7.62 CETME" cartridge, a lower-pressure Spanish-unique round, rather than the more familiar 7.62x51 (7.62 NATO) round. These are usually accompanied by statements about "soft Spanish steel."

They're great little carbines. I have no opinion on "soft Spanish steel," but I do know they were designed for 7.62 NATO rounds. Here are a couple of pages from the Service Manual for the rifle.

261du2g.jpg

oiudc.jpg

54vuqc.jpg

My Spanish is pretty rotten, but it's not too hard to get the point of that cover page.

Last edited:
The 1916 is a M1893 Mauser action, which is significantly weaker than a 98.
Personally, I wouldn't want to feed it with a steady .308 or 7.62x51 diet.

Spoken by "the Man!" That is all I need to know. If Juergen says no, I would not do it. I have personally seen his armory, er... uh... collection

Unless you load your own and reduce the charge?

It's like a M88 Commission 'Mauser'; it can take 8mm, but at 120 years old...I use understrength loads.

MS

Only had one for a short time. It looked great and was dirt cheap. Of course, when I got it home and checked the headspace, I found out why it was so cheap. Brought it back the next day.

The Spanish mausers converted to 308 are only safe to use NATO or military surplus NOT the 308 high pressure commercial ammo. When surplus rifles .com was up there was a great article on the very subject. Also i think this question has been asked in an earlier post. Try a search and see what you come up with.
You know you can convert that to 7.62x39! There is a chamber sleeve that has been installed in many of them by folks.

Back
Top Bottom