1911 Holsters for both IDPA AND IPSC

My 1st 1911 is in it break in period and I'm pleased with the results so far so I would like to spend some money an start getting in setup. First on the list is a proper holster for the postal and the mags. I'm looking for a holster that will be acceptable for both IDPA and IPSC and it will be carried as well. I already have the cheap BladeTech setup that came with my M&P range kit and I'm pretty happy with the quality.

So, my 1st thought is a BladeTech BlackIce.

Any thoughts or suggestions? I would like to keep it under $80

Edit: Just realized I put this in the pistol competition forum and not the equipment forum. (Sorry)

Assuming you want to shoot single stack (not L10) I would go with ready tactical. I went back and forth with Comp-Tac over a 1911 holster that wouldn't fit. Ready tactical was good from the start.

Beware of Uncle Mike's holsters. At approx $20 they are the best deal on the market BUT they are not legal for IDPA. Something about the belt loop being too large. This ban makes no sense to me because my Uncle Mike's holster holds my 5906 up against my ribs; you can't get any closer to the body than that.

in october, i think the gap in the belt loop area rule is gone. the gun must be within some distance to your body via dowel test, 3/4" maybe.

also, if you plan on shooting single stack, then whatever holster is legal for idpa should be legal for single stack.

Get the Blade Tech holster. The CT is too heavy and much harder to adjust (see below)

Cut down the face and lower the holster in the belt attachement to max allowed by rules and open op the sides when you get it. It sets too high (you can lower it until the front strap is even with the belt for USPSA and IDPA) and the face cut is not deep enough (you can cut it down to 1.75 forward the breech face for IDPA) as it comes from BT.

Get the solid Sting Ray belt loop. The adjustable loop is junk. The TecLok is OK, but you carry around a lot of stuff you don't need for no good reason.

Get the Blade Tech mag pouches for IDPA - see belt loop note above. You can lower the hight to max allowed by rules and flare the openings with a hair drier and a little ingenuity.

CR Speed with the SS spacers/CompTac belt feed pouches for L10/SS respectively. Get a 2 pc velcro belt from CR Speed or Safariland. You have to secure the CT Belt feed to the belt (rivet, screw, etc.) but once it is locked in and the tension screws are adjusted properly, it works well for SS. A few velcro strips on the inside of the mag pouch & holster belt attachements helps secure the whole rig .

For L10 get the BT DOH attachement, it was designed fit in between the holster and the loop. It takes a few minutes to install/remove, but well worthe the effrt. You can spend a lot more on a sexy magnetic or trigger gaurd retention Ltd/L10 holster, but the BT is cheap, secure and effective.

You cannot use the DOH piece for SS or IDPA if you are a male.

Eventually, you will set up a separate rig for SS/L10 and IDPA CDP/ESP, but one holster will work for now.

Last edited:
I'd listen to him. I think he knows what hes talking about, I seen him shoot one of them IDSURPA matches

Get the Blade Tech holster. The CT is too heavy and much harder to adjust (see below)

Cut down the face and lower the holster in the belt attachement to max allowed by rules and open op the sides when you get it. It sets too high (you can lower it until the front strap is even with the belt for USPSA and IDPA) and the face cut is not deep enough (you can cut it down to 1.75 forward the breech face for IDPA) as it comes from BT.

Get the solid Sting Ray belt loop. The adjustable loop is junk. The TecLok is OK, but you carry around a lot of stuff you don't need for no good reason.

Get the Blade Tech mag pouches for IDPA - see belt loop note above. You can lower the hight to max allowed by rules and flare the openings with a hair drier and a little ingenuity.

CR Speed with the SS spacers/CompTac belt feed pouches for L10/SS respectively. Get a 2 pc velcro belt from CR Speed or Safariland. You have to secure the CT Belt feed to the belt (rivet, screw, etc.) but once it is locked in and the tension screws are adjusted properly, it works well for SS. A few velcro strips on the inside of the mag pouch & holster belt attachements helps secure the whole rig .

For L10 get the BT DOH attachement, it was designed fit in between the holster and the loop. It takes a few minutes to install/remove, but well worthe the effrt. You can spend a lot more on a sexy magnetic or trigger gaurd retention Ltd/L10 holster, but the BT is cheap, secure and effective.

You cannot use the DOH piece for SS or IDPA if you are a male.

Eventually, you will set up a separate rig for SS/L10 and IDPA CDP/ESP, but one holster will work for now.

I'd listen to him. I think he knows what hes talking about, I seen him shoot one of them IDSURPA matches

Listen??? I'm still trying to decipher!

Thank you all!

I have been a HSC member for 2 years and have yet to shoot a match of either idpa or ipsc ( shame on me ). Maybe september match

Listen??? I'm still trying to decipher!

Thank you all!

I have been a HSC member for 2 years and have yet to shoot a match of either idpa or ipsc ( shame on me ). Maybe september match

Don't wait until September... What are you doing Sunday? There is a USPSA match Sunday @ HSC. I'm shooting L10. You're welcome to borrow my Ready Tactical 1911 holster and five comp-tac single mag holders for the match.

Don't wait until September... What are you doing Sunday? There is a USPSA match Sunday @ HSC. I'm shooting L10. You're welcome to borrow my Ready Tactical 1911 holster and five comp-tac single mag holders for the match.

A most gracious offer.... Unfortunately I have a previous engagement Sunday morning and I would feel a little more comfortable with some dry fire practice from a holster 1st

A most gracious offer.... Unfortunately I have a previous engagement Sunday morning and I would feel a little more comfortable with some dry fire practice from a holster 1st

No problem. If you still are in need of gear in September let me know. Take your time, ask lots of questions. Nobody will care if you are slow, as long as you are safe. Just be mindful of where the muzzle is pointed and keep the finger off the trigger when you're not shooting. We were all newbies at one point.

I will warn you though: Action pistol shooting is highly addictive! [wink]

Well after shooting today's match with my M&P9 I've discovered a few things 1. I suck. 2, I really suck 3, ipsc guys get to use way cooler gear than idpa 4. I want to setup my 1911 for limited 10

Well after shooting today's match with my M&P9 I've discovered a few things 1. I suck. 2, I really suck 3, ipsc guys get to use way cooler gear than idpa 4. I want to setup my 1911 for limited 10

Well, except for the fishing vests....

Why not run your 1911 in Single Stack division? Rocking 8 round mags on 32 round stages is where its at.

Well, except for the fishing vests....

Why not run your 1911 in Single Stack division? Rocking 8 round mags on 32 round stages is where its at.

Another vote for single stack.

Any reason?

Went and found the scores from yesterday, this was the most fun stage ( 6 )

12 Barker, Dan 114 U Production 158 0 37.02 4.2680 125.2462 78.28%

Stage 6 made me wish I had 2 more mags! Only having 4 really slowed things down

Last edited:
Well, I put the 1911 aside for now.... it will become a winter project. instead I ordered myself a glock 34 to play with and got a used ready tactical DOH holster to shoot production with. I already reload 9 and have a fair amount loaded with components to spare so it made more sense than trying to learn a new platform (1911) and try to find ammo components for....

If anyone has belt and mag pouch recommendations for glock mags I'm all ears. ( or if you have some kicking around in your closet you want to loan or sell!)

Assuming you want to shoot single stack (not L10) I would go with ready tactical. I went back and forth with Comp-Tac over a 1911 holster that wouldn't fit. Ready tactical was good from the start.

I ended up finding a Ready Tactical DOH holster for my Glock 34 on eBay ( yes, glock 34... I know this was started with 1911 holsters ). Scored it at the last second for $33. Very nice construction and fit.

About to order a cr speed belt, two daa racer pouches and a double versa pouch from shooters connection... looking for one setup to shoot production and ss. Any issues with this?

About to order a cr speed belt, two daa racer pouches and a double versa pouch from shooters connection... looking for one setup to shoot production and ss. Any issues with this?

4 mags on your belt is good for production. If necessary you could use a 5th from your pocked to start off with, and have the 4 on your belt for the stage.

4 mags is cutting it close for long stages if you are shooting singlestack major (45 acp and 8 round mags) If you are shooting singlestack minor (9mm and 10 round mags) the same as production applies.

You will need these CR spacers and DAA spacers to hold singlestack mags in those pouches

Last edited:
4 mags on your belt is good for production. If necessary you could use a 5th from your pocked to start off with, and have the 4 on your belt for the stage.

4 mags is cutting it close for long stages if you are shooting singlestack major (45 acp and 8 round mags) If you are shooting singlestack minor (9mm and 10 round mags) the same as production applies.

You will need these CR spacers and DAA spacers to hold singlestack mags in those pouches

SS will be 10 round 9mm mags. I want to buy 1 belt and pouches that will work ok for just about anything. I will plan to add another daa racer, but I have a $175 limit on my spending right now. I have shot the last two matches with only 3 mags on my belt and the 1st mag coming from my pocket and I really want at let 4 on my belt ( starting with one from my pocket )

Does this sound like an ok rig that will do just about anything for the price range I'm looking at?

Last edited:
Yes

4 on the belt with 10 round mags should be fine. This will still allow you to drop and abandon a full mag if a problem arises, and you won't come up short on the round count for a stage.

Nothing wrong with using a combination of different mag pouches on your setup. look at KYTEX Shooting Gear | Shooting Accessories for Competition, Carry & Duty for some very nice and very inexpensive pouches, you could get a few of these towards the back, and also run a couple fancy adjustable pouches up front. I use 6 of them on my singlestack belt.

Yes

4 on the belt with 10 round mags should be fine. This will still allow you to drop and abandon a full mag if a problem arises, and you won't come up short on the round count for a stage.

Nothing wrong with using a combination of different mag pouches on your setup. look at KYTEX Shooting Gear | Shooting Accessories for Competition, Carry & Duty for some very nice and very inexpensive pouches, you could get a few of these towards the back, and also run a couple fancy adjustable pouches up front. I use 6 of them on my singlestack belt.

I was actually very interested in those.... My thought was if I spend a little more now on mag pouches that will fit both double and single sack mags I wouldn't have to re buy additional mag pouches latter

Thanks for your help!

I was actually very interested in those.... My thought was if I spend a little more now on mag pouches that will fit both double and single sack mags I wouldn't have to re buy additional mag pouches latter

Once you get really hooked you'll want a belt for each dedicated setup. [wink]

If anyone hands you an Open gun, just say NO

Dear lord, I want to in the worst way! ( I'm a bit of a gear junky by nature )

Edit: it was cool watching your composure with the steel that wouldn't fall on stage 1 last weekend... Quite a few had that issue

Last edited:
Dear lord, I want to in the worst way! ( I'm a bit of a gear junky by nature )

Edit: it was cool watching your composure with the steel that wouldn't fall on stage 1 last weekend... Quite a few had that issue

Unless you were at the midatlantic sectionals or CJ, it probably wasn't me.

There is quite a few of us running around with Pigs on the back of our jersey's

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom