1911 FP light stikes- FP plunger

Folks- I've run into a couple situations where the hammer on my S&W 1911 dropped but the FP plunger at least partially blocked the FP resulting in no bang. I'm sure I didn't have a death grip so it may have been a grip issue however I'm sure this shouldn't happen- if the hammer drops the FP shouldn't be restricted. I know I can send it to S&W but they are shut down over the holidays. This is a competition only gun and I don't want these issues occuring again. I've done a lot of research on the web but wondered if anyone here has run into this and done anything about it.

Thanks!

I would take the slide off the frame, flip it over and be sure the FP block moves freely. With the block depressed then check to se that the FP can move in the slide. Is the safety lever in the fram properly?

Many issues like this can also be ammo related. If a round is a tad fat it may not fully seat in the barrel, but seat just enough to allow the hammer to fall, this allows the FP to stike the primer but not with enough force to fire. I see this in lead reloads which are .452, not so much in jacketed at .451.

This is a few things to look at. Hope it helps, Greg

Thanks Greg- I see what you are saying. I don't use lead but they are reloads. I'm pretty sure it's not the cartridges as I can get the hammer to drop without the FP pushing a pencil out of the barrel. When I squeeze the grip as much as I can this never happens. It's on a weak grip that I can get the hammer to fall without the FP freely striking the pencil/round. The FP plunger does move freely in this gun and the lever appears to work just fine as well.

So I can do a few things- work on a more consistent grip- which isn't always predictable in competition, or have S&W check/fix the "timing" issue. It's my belief that if the hammer drops the FP should be free to strike the primer.... I've read that folks with Kimbers that have had similar problems have been told by Kimber that it's NOT a problem and they need to ensure a good grip.

I've heard some folks simply remove the plunger and install a light FP and strong FP spring similar to the original Colt Model 70 designs... not sure if that's a good option.

I might have to just see how things go from here... but knowing my luck it will reoccur in a match or classifier! ;)

Back
Top Bottom