• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

1911 for USPSA. 9mm or 45 ?

I am looking for a 1911 for USPSA. I love the 45, and the Major factor is a plus, but because of cost considerations, I would like to stay with 9mm.
My question is, how do the 9mm 1911 guns handle, compared to the 45 ? I love the accuracy I get from the 45.
Will a 9mm for example S&W have the same 1911 feel, or is it more a bastardized version of the 45 1911 for whimps ?
I presume a 9mm 1911 with the 10 round magazine would be considered a production class.

Also, in USPSA does 1911 start cocked and locked or fully decocked ?

Thank You
Rob

As long as you stay away from .40 you should be fine!

Sorry, I don't have anything constructive to add, I'm a fan of both the .45 and 9mm and of the 1911 heh.

-chris

I have no personal experience here, but watching a shooting show, the host's first impressions of a 9mm 1911 were that it was like cheating it shot so well with so little recoil. He loved it.

Major scoring is always a benefit. 2 extra round occasionally helps.

1911s start cocked and locked and 9mm with 10 rounds is single stack legal, but not production legal.

If you want to have fun, shoot 9mm. It is a very pleasant gun to shoot. If you want to do well, shoot major. 45 or better yet 40

1911s start cocked and locked and 9mm with 10 rounds is single stack legal, but not production legal.

If you want to have fun, shoot 9mm. It is a very pleasant gun to shoot. If you want to do well, shoot major. 45 or better yet 40
Thank you, that clears it up. Going through the role books, I realized that the 9mm would still be single stack.

I have always thought that shooting major loads (45) would be a scoring advantage over a minor nine. Now I am not so sure. The extra two rounds and reduced recoil/muzzle flip seem to be leveling the playing field.

Major is probably better, but if you train hard and shoot minor you will destroy guys shooting major who don't practice as much, even at the national level. I prefer .40 major in single stack.

1911s is USPSA start cocked and locked.

If you shoot 9x19, you are minor power factor in single stack division and limited to 10 rounds. If you are 40 or above, you are major power factor and limited to 8 rounds.

General consensus would be that the advantage of major outweighs the occasional advantage of those two rounds saving a reload.

Option 3 is to shoot .45 minor with a lighter recoil spring and 10 round magazines. If you feel the urge, you can always switch to major later just by using more powder.

Oh, and yes, a 9mm 1911 is very comfortable and accurate.

Option 3 is to shoot .45 minor with a lighter recoil spring and 10 round magazines. If you feel the urge, you can always switch to major later just by using more powder.

Oh, and yes, a 9mm 1911 is very comfortable and accurate.

I don't think .45 10-round mags fit the box.

1911s is USPSA start cocked and locked.

If you shoot 9x19, you are minor power factor in single stack division and limited to 10 rounds. If you are 40 or above, you [STRIKE=may]are[/STRIKE] may be major power factor and limited to 8 rounds (major) or 9 or 10 rounds (minor).

General consensus would be that the advantage of major outweighs the occasional advantage of those two rounds saving a reload.

Fixed it for you. I've heard repeated claims that there are Tripp mags with a different follower that you can get 10 rounds and still fit in the box. You could then have to choice to shoot 40 minor or 40 major with the same gun.

Major is probably better, but if you train hard and shoot minor you will destroy guys shooting major who don't practice as much, even at the national level. I prefer .40 major in single stack.

I have always preferred the .40 in major. Performance is comparable to the 45 with the advantage of extra rounds in some divisions and .40 is cheaper to shoot. Lighter bullets (lead is expensive) less powder, and free brass (on the ground at your local range) all add up to savings.

I don't think .45 10-round mags fit the box.

correct
Singlestack major is 8 rounds. singlestack minor is 10 rounds

My recommendation is to get yourself a 9mm 1911. Singlestack minor is your division and power factor, using 10 round mags. This is the best for any level 1 / local match, up through an area / level 3 match. The singlestack nationals is the only place where 8 rounds / major is a distinct advantage, this is because all the stages there are designed for 8 round shooting.

It is possible to get a 40 1911, you then have the option to shoot that in major, or minor, with 8 or 10 round mags respectively.

I am looking for a 1911 for USPSA. I love the 45, and the Major factor is a plus, but because of cost considerations, I would like to stay with 9mm.
My question is, how do the 9mm 1911 guns handle, compared to the 45 ? I love the accuracy I get from the 45.
Will a 9mm for example S&W have the same 1911 feel, or is it more a bastardized version of the 45 1911 for whimps ?
I presume a 9mm 1911 with the 10 round magazine would be considered a production class.

Also, in USPSA does 1911 start cocked and locked or fully decocked ?

Thank You
Rob

I'm no expert but I own a S&W Pro 1911 9mm. I am beginning to shoot it in USPSA. You start cocked but with the external safety on. I find it to be a very accurate gun more accurate than my G34 Gen 4. But it is not as reliable as the Glock. I've had some feed problems and I had to adjust my 9mm reloads to a OAL <1.12 to fit in the Wilson Combat Mags

I'm no expert but I own a S&W Pro 1911 9mm. I am beginning to shoot it in USPSA. You start cocked but with the external safety on. I find it to be a very accurate gun more accurate than my G34 Gen 4. But it is not as reliable as the Glock. I've had some feed problems and I had to adjust my 9mm reloads to a OAL <1.12 to fit in the Wilson Combat Mags
Be tough to start uncocked with a single action pistol.

This is really the answer. It doesn't matter what you shoot, but how you shoot

Be tough to start uncocked with a single action pistol.

That is what your weak hand is for :)

AClarkJuly2013074656001.jpg

Thanks for the feedback. I was intrested in impressions of shooters who use their 9mm 1911.
How bad are the feed problems ?
There is a S&W Pro 1911 9mm on Armslist.

Thanks for the feedback. I was intrested in impressions of shooters who use their 9mm 1911.
How bad are the feed problems ?
There is a S&W Pro 1911 9mm on Armslist.

With good mags, a 9mm 1911 will run great. I have a STI spartan that has ran awesome. Easy to shoot, soft cycling and accurate. I do prefer a 2011 40 over it though, but that is a different division

Last edited by a moderator:
If you're going to buy one, buy a .40 and shoot major or minor.

I have 2 9mm 1911s and never had an issue with either that wasn't reload related (a DW and a SIG)

I am looking for a 1911 for USPSA.

Thank You
Rob

Great! I shoot 1911 style guns in a few Divisions at USPSA matches. Use whatever you like.

Just to clarify, your Division is defined by your equipment. Your CLASS is defined by how well you shoot within a particular division.

(Damn you Charlie Funk for forever making people screw this up. But thanks for your work to create the first computer based IPSC/USPSA scoring program) RIP

I'm having the same dilemma, I owned a 1911 in 9mm (rem R1= junk) Went to the Sig Academy thinking I would just get the 1911 target in 9mm. Made the mistake of touching other 1911's which are only available in real men with beards caliber...I mean .45. I shot the other 9mm at idpa matches and liked the "heft" of a steel gun more than my plastic guns. Was I faster, more accurate? Idk but what I do know is that I felt like I looked way more rugged with a 1911 in hand, even though. I cant grow an a beard. Honestly run what feels good to you! Work on form and the times will drop. When you become a sponsored pro like I will be, you can shoot other peoples guns for free. But work on form and when you think you have it down, work on it some more. A slower time with accuracy wins every time. Did I mention shoot what makes you look coolest. Nope, good now go work on some drills.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom