• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

1911...converting .45 acp to 10 mm

greencobra

NES Member
there's been threads on this before, frankly i'm too lazy to search for 'em.

i know this conversion can and has been done but i'm forgetting the details. it's something i want to do.

- can the same .45 extractor & ejector be used?
- generally would a .45 acp and 10 mm 1911 barrel have the same outside over all dimension so the .45 bushing is still used?
- be best to use a long recoil spring guide rod as opposed to a short one?
- with the exception of a gunsmith fitting the barrel and possibly the bushing, would a mechanically inept individual be able to complete the project?

anything else i may need to know before i mess up a 1911?

thanks for any help, people.

there's been threads on this before, frankly i'm too lazy to search for 'em.

i know this conversion can and has been done but i'm forgetting the details. it's something i want to do.

- can the same .45 extractor & ejector be used?
- generally would a .45 acp and 10 mm 1911 barrel have the same outside over all dimension so the .45 bushing is still used?
- be best to use a long recoil spring guide rod as opposed to a short one?
- with the exception of a gunsmith fitting the barrel and possibly the bushing, would a mechanically inept individual be able to complete the project?

anything else i may need to know before i mess up a 1911?

thanks for any help, people.
i thought of that; gunsmith told me it was not possible without spending big $$$$$. bought a ruger 10 mm instead which i am quite satisfied with

i thought of that; gunsmith told me it was not possible without spending big $$$$$. bought a ruger 10 mm instead which i am quite satisfied with
now that you said that, yeah, i vaguely remember a quote i got some years ago and yeah, it's probably the reason i didn't do it. a decent barrel and fitting alone was somewhere at 400+ then.

I think you’re better off, financially at least, by buying a 10mm. There’s a G20 for sale that I seriously considered before going with a G40 MOS.

It’s a fun gun, and even though it’s a bit long, it's something that I can carry when hiking/camping/fishing, or even just around our place in NH.

Last edited:
If the frame and slide isn't rated for +p+ 45 acp, they won't hold up to the recoil forces on a 10mm barrel and will crack.

Better off buying a 10mm off the shelf.

A 45 1911 has a ramped frame, while a 10mm (40) has a ramped barrel - the frame is not compatible.

Can't find one right now, but somebody might make a non ramped 40/10 barrel for a ramped frame, but that's asking for feeding problems.

The breechface of 45 and 40/10 is different size.

Yes, different extractor and different ejector.

No reason to try to use your same bushing if such a barrel swap were otherwise feasible.

A steady diet of stout 10mm requires a heavier recoil spring than 45, and to really be done right, a heavier main spring along with a smaller radius fireing pin stop.

Just buy a 10mm factory gun.

just start with a new pistol. 10mm will require different breech face, extractor, slide stop, barrel, and I think ejector too. it's ~ 60 thousands difference in case diameter. in general with 10mm 1911's I like to run a flat (not standard curved) firing pin stop, which decreases leverage of the slide on hammer. this has the effect of slowing down rearward slide velocity with the heavier recoil of 10mm. you'll see some people running heavier recoil springs for 10mm but with a single action pistol one is better off tuning the mainspring or firing pin stop than the recoil spring.

overall i would not waste $$ trying to get a 45acp 1911 run 10mm. if you need a 10mm 1911 just go with a new production one. it will likely be unreliable even when factory built for 10mm!

Last edited:
I have a heavily modified custom ruger 1911 commander converted to .460 Rowland. its more powerful than 10mm and is closer to .44 magnum, Has a custom match barrel, Two piece guide rod, dual port compensator of my own design and uses a 22 lb recoil spring. It has the original internal extractor and uses a 9mm firing pin,it was a disaster when it came back from the gunsmith so i did most of the work myself. its a bitch to rack but after approx 1000 rounds no issues, no ftf or fte, it does however throw the cases about 40 feet lol. I dont see why you cant convert to 10 mm, it'll take a lot of work and prolly cost a fortune,i have way too much money and time into this thing maybe you'd be better off just buying a 10mm.

Attachments

• 120.jpg
    120.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 21
  • 119.jpg
    119.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
I have a heavily modified custom ruger 1911 commander converted to .460 Rowland. its more powerful than 10mm and is closer to .44 magnum, Has a custom match barrel, Two piece guide rod, dual port compensator of my own design and uses a 22 lb recoil spring. It has the original internal extractor and uses a 9mm firing pin,it was a disaster when it came back from the gunsmith so i did most of the work myself. its a bitch to rack but after approx 1000 rounds no issues, no ftf or fte, it does however throw the cases about 40 feet lol. I dont see why you cant convert to 10 mm, it'll take a lot of work and prolly cost a fortune,i have way too much money and time into this thing maybe you'd be better off just buying a 10mm.

if you're running the factory firing pin stop or hammer spring, 40 ft ejection suggests the frame is at risk for getting damaged. a heavy recoil spring will not protect the frame but rather worsen the situation by increasing the forward slide velocity and impact during lockup.

There’s a G20 for sale....
have a gen 4 20 already, just looking for another option.

A 45 1911 has a ramped frame, while a 10mm (40) has a ramped barrel - the frame is not compatible.
well...maybe i could try my old ipsc gun. i shot a para p16 .40 for several years. i didn't want to go there for just the fact the guns pushing 25 years old and we had some good times, just wanted to let it graze out in retirement.

i'll put this idea on the back burner for now.

IIRC Ruger uses a 22 lb recoil spring and a 30 lb mainspring,I have a Ruger 1911 in 10mm had a flat bottom firing pin stop installed and brass is still sent into orbit. Had a Delta Elite that had the dual recoil spring replaced it with a single 26 lb spring get the brass near by but pulling the slide back needed the aid of a tranquilized gorilla.

OP- aside from slide stop issues, my RIA 10mm has been a great value pistol. incredibly accurate. rested it shoots the same groups as my Sig P220 elite 10mm which is funny since the RIA is half the price. If having the 10mm itch I would not hesitate to go with the Ruger or RIA offering. Probably I would go ruger since their CS is solid if you shoot the gun into failure they will probably replace it. FWIW I do believe the 1911 is an excellent platform for the 10mm especially for hunting purposes, although it seems many manufacturers are behind on correctly tuning and building their 10mm 1911's.

.....to go with the Ruger or RIA offering.
ria got some fabulous reviews when they arrived on the scene, wouldn't hesitate for a second, same with ruger. big ruger fanboy here despite some recent problems i've experienced.

this may be a bad idea but being retired, i thought i could get a 1911 10mm for the price of a drop in barrel and heavy spring without shelling out for a new gun which is not gonna happen unless i start selling something off.

oddly, i settled on the glock 20 when i couldn't find a delta elite. i wanted a new one but for some reason, my guys distributors couldn't get any from colt...and used ones were like natural red haired women and unicorns, none to be found. and recently, 2 have showed up here in the classified. i'm literally a day late and a dollar short on those. lol

ria got some fabulous reviews when they arrived on the scene, wouldn't hesitate for a second, same with ruger. big ruger fanboy here despite some recent problems i've experienced.

this may be a bad idea but being retired, i thought i could get a 1911 10mm for the price of a drop in barrel and heavy spring without shelling out for a new gun which is not gonna happen unless i start selling something off.

oddly, i settled on the glock 20 when i couldn't find a delta elite. i wanted a new one but for some reason, my guys distributors couldn't get any from colt...and used ones were like natural red haired women and unicorns, none to be found. and recently, 2 have showed up here in the classified. i'm literally a day late and a dollar short on those. lol

I have an unfired Delta Elite which is why I ended up with a G40. I couldn’t believe I found one, let alone one at a reasonable price. I looked hard at the 20, but it was essentially the same size as my 19 and the 40 was slightly longer than any of my other 1911s.

If you have that itch, go scratch it!

.....the 20, but it was essentially the same size as my 19
shit, i've always thought my 20 is huge compared to my 19...it dwarfs it basicly. i'm goin' back in for another look. although i'm a glock fan, the 20 was never on the radar when i got it in 2016 but an impulse buy one day. i do like it and enjoy shooting the thing but it's a range toy honestly. it's never had a factory round thru it, i bought brass from starline and just rolled my own from day one.

Maybe I’m off. I thought it was close enough in my mind that I felt it would’ve essentially been duplicative.

EDIT - Just looked at the Glock site and the difference is larger than I recall it being. It may have been the Johnnie Walker that threw me off! :)

Back
Top Bottom