1909 Spandau Gew98M Mostly Mutt

majspud

NES Life Member
NES Member
Picked this up on the very cheap for the receiver. 1909 is a very low production year for the Gew98, and it is the year my German grandfather was born. Barrel, receiver, sights, trigger, sear, and front trigger screw match. Nothing else matches. Unusual markings on barrel I can't figure out. Barrel doesn't have much life left.

I'm getting more answers on the stock and barrel proofs.

Sad thing is this is worth more in parts than as a complete rifle. I paid $325 shipped; the bolt and stock could fetch almost that much by themselves.

T

Last edited:
As always, enjoyed the pics and info- thanks. Pretty nice looking stock, even if not a match...

Well, I guess its officially a DOG. The bore is shot out, and all rounds key-holed. Question now is whether to re-barrel it, flip it, or part it out.

T

Last edited:
Well, I guess its officially a DOG. The bore is shot out, and all rounds key-holed. Question now is whether to re-barrel it, flip it, or part it out.

T

that's sad, takes .323" bullets correct? what did you run for ammo.
What does the bore look like?
Sometimes cast loads can save a worn bore from being completely useless....
I cant see spending the cash to rebarrel.... I would part it out or start casting for it.

Bore was very dark and had little rifling. Ammo was '78 Yugo.

To add insult to injury, SON would rather stay home and CLEAN HIS ROOM than come with me and shoot a pumpkin.[slap]

So much for my reason of buying a second Garand. At least it is a better shooter than the other one I have.

T

By looks of that target, this rifle should be dynamite on pumpkins. :)

To bad a dog, but maybe Mac is on to something and a generously sized (vs. original spec) cast boolit might work.

To add insult to injury, SON would rather stay home and CLEAN HIS ROOM than come with me and shoot a pumpkin.[slap]

So much for my reason of buying a second Garand. At least it is a better shooter than the other one I have.

Ugh ..... I couldn't shoot unless I cleaned my room...
It's tough my daughter started off like gang busters shooting now she can't be bothered. O,well can't force it on them.
Dark bores don't keep me from thinking they can't shoot. My RC is a dark mess. Thin rifling but has turned out to shoot pretty well once I stopped shooting surplus and I also cleaned the bore very very good.
I thought I had it clean until I used some sweets 762...nasty stuff.
I also gave it a 10 min electrolysis bore clean.
I have some 325" cast bullets if you ever want to try some cast loads through it.

What's that ramped thing forward of the front sight, on the top of the muzzle? Sorry if that's a basic-level question; German rifles are NOT my forte, or even close.

What's that ramped thing forward of the front sight, on the top of the muzzle? Sorry if that's a basic-level question; German rifles are NOT my forte, or even close.
muzzle protector
normal question you do not see muzzle protectors often
images.jpg gew98.jpg

That adoption offer still stands [rofl]

But in all seriousness looks like some nice patina on there. Too bad about the keyholing.

Back
Top Bottom