1907 Sling Restoration

JonJ

NES Member
I was given a 1907 leather sling the other day. Dry, dirty & moldy but it didn't look too bad under all that crap. I didn't know what to do to get it back in shape until I remembered a leather dressing made by a company called Pecard. I've always heard good things about Pecard Leather Dressing and now was my chance to try it. It's highly regarded among collectors and restorers.
Someone gave me some Armor All Leather cleaner and Restorer. I'm happy I didn't use that, it's water based. I've seen too many restorable items ruined by people who were in a rush to try something. I'm happy I did my research.
I placed my order on Aug 11 and had it in my hands yesterday Aug 14. I bought the Antique Leather Dressing. As a bonus, they through in a 1oz can of Shoe Oil.
The sling is an original 1907. It's dated but I cannot make out the manufacturer. The back side of the short strap is stamped with boxed "O T".
Here's some before and after pictures.

Before:

HPIM3126.jpg

After one application:

HPIM3128.jpg

HPIM3129.jpg

Another +1 for Pecards, its definitely the only product I use when dealing with my new found surplus passion... crusty old leather slings.[smile]

Back
Top Bottom