1907/1917 Savage

I'm considering picking up a 1907 or 1917 Savage pistol in 32acp or 380acp. I've looked at a few on GunBroker and I've even found one that was made under military contract but, I'm more interested in it as a classic, film noir, gangster gun. Does anyone have any knowledge on them? Any advice? How shootable are they? How difficult to field strip? I'd be interested in something to occasionally shoot.

I'm more interested in it as a classic, film noir, gangster gun.

If that's what you're going for I'd look into a Colt 1903 or 1908 hammerless (.32, and .380 respectively). Yes you will spend more money, but parts are probably easier to find for the Colt, and well, its a Colt!! The hammerless models were a favorite among the the old-timey gangsters. Capone supposedly carried one. Nuff said!

As far as the Savage goes, I held one at a gunshow years ago and they seem to be of decent quality. I wouldn't want to carry one concealed due to that sharp exposed hammer possibly ripping my right love handle open! ;0)

I have one, it shoots okay and has an occasional stovepipe so I wouldn't use it for personal defense.

1917sav.jpg

It field strips the same way as the 1907.

http://www.vintagepistols.com/1907/disassembly.html

I have one in .32. I like it a lot. A very cool gun. I also have a couple Colt 1903's and a H&R Self Loader all in .32. I use them at American Zootshooter matches when the capers call for a snubby or pocket pistol. The .380's are rarer and more money.

DSC_1650.jpg

DSC_1651.jpg

Thanks guys.... Yeah, I've got a couple of Pocket Models and that 1930's gangster thing is one of the things I like about them... Watching an old Bogey movie with gun in hand is awesome!

Knob Creek, the finish looks awesome that gun!

I never knew they made a model with a rounded hammer. Looks much more comfy for conceal carry. Shows how much I know about this particular gun!

I remember reading an article about the pistols that were submitted for trials prior to the 1911 winning the slot. Savage, DWM (Luger), Colt, there were at least 4 or 5 others entered but they all failed in the first round of testing. DWM submitted just 2 Lugers chambered in .45acp for testing. 1 of them was destroyed after testing and apparently it's sister is still out there somewhere. Someday I will be helping a sweet old lady clean out her basement, and I will find that one-of-a-kind .45 Luger. Oh yes, it will happen.

I wonder why someone since hasn't tried to make a Luger in .45. I know that Stoeger made them in .22.

For the same reason people like Mitchell Arms and Stoeger don't make repros anymore. It's too expensive. A buddy of mine has a Mitchell stainless Luger and he can't get a magazine through it without a jam. Lugers are too expensive to make with any kind of quality.

For the same reason people like Mitchell Arms and Stoeger don't make repros anymore. It's too expensive. A buddy of mine has a Mitchell stainless Luger and he can't get a magazine through it without a jam. Lugers are too expensive to make with any kind of quality.

He's doing it wrong.

I have one and have little trouble getting a mag through it. Those pistols are so tight that you have to put a death grip on it to get it to shoot right, otherwise you're limp wristing it.

He's doing it wrong.

I have one and have little trouble getting a mag through it. Those pistols are so tight that you have to put a death grip on it to get it to shoot right, otherwise you're limp wristing it.

I'll pass it along.... I've heard they were hit or miss. Either you got one that worked great or you didn't.

Back
Top Bottom