1903 Springfield

I know, I can't get another one yet, money just isn't there. I just got one of the last 03A3s back in December & I really shouldn't have spent the money on that at the time. The money I've got for firearms is set aside for a pistol for my wife.

For the time being I just need to stay off the CMP site.[grin]

CD

Hope you get a good one! I waited too long on the A3's too. My '03 from the CMP was the worst of 4 rifles that I have purchased from the CMP, still worth $400 though.

USMA-82 said:
Yeah, and did you see how fast they went? I counted about 1500 being offered, and they were gone in less than 2 weeks!!!

Just think.... theres a lot of "projects" lying around on gun benches out there right this minute.[laugh]

Nickle said:
Sent my paperwork to CMP for a 1903 Springfield on Monday. Let's see how long it takes to get here.
Nickle how would you like some experiance De-Gunking one of those 1903s
i have had one apart on my bench, for about three weeks all ready for someone to volenteer to
get the 10Lbs of cosmoline off of it, i have had it for a year and a half and finaly took it apart to clean it !! i think there is a nice gun under all that but every time i look at it i think of somthing else to do!! Ha Ha any-takers???Free Beer!!

Sheriff Dudley s.a.s.s. #17925

SD, you really don't want to know just how many guns I've removed the Cosmoline from when I was a teenager, working at the shop. I use Kerosene, myself.

Hopefully, mine just has a crappy barrel, seeing that I have a new in wrap A3 barrel (Star Guaged).

I need to get on this dam wagon.. tell it to slow down until I get my paperwork in and back > :)

MVC-007F.jpg

My 03A3 was so greasy the flash reflected off it and made for a lousy picture. [laugh]
I used a GE hand held steamer available at Wal Mart for $30 to get rid of the cosmolene on mine. Took about an hour. A steamer is the best way i've found lately to remove cosmolene. If you start from the muzzle and work your way down, it all just drips or gets blasted off by the pressure. Best of all the metal gets so hot it dries instantly, then its ready for oil.

Pilgrim said:
My Garand came from CMP just about ready to shoot. Just ran a swab down the barrel, wiped off the wood and I was ready to go.

I was REALLY surprised.
Ditto on that for both of my CMP Garands.

I missed out on the 03A3's when the CMP had them. I never wanted one but by the time I realized that I did want one, the CMP was out. I lucked out on the SC 03A3 I got. Paid just a little bit more for it than I would have for a Rem from the CMP.
I'll go through the same thing with the straight 03 too.

Speaking of M1s, whats the deal with CMP Garands? I keep hearing/reading about erosion, wear, etc. How do you know you'll be getting a good shooter? I've got a new production Springfield Armory model (put together and rearsenaled from old M1s and made new by SA) but I want a worn but good shooting war baby. My new SA M1 shoots like a dream, is dead on accurate and brand new in just about every way, but it doesn't have that left over prop from Band of Brothers look that a CMP one will. I just don't want to step down in quality from what I have now.

Milsurps 4 Me said:
Speaking of M1s, whats the deal with CMP Garands? I keep hearing/reading about erosion, wear, etc. How do you know you'll be getting a good shooter? I've got a new production Springfield Armory model (put together and rearsenaled from old M1s and made new by SA) but I want a worn but good shooting war baby. My new SA M1 shoots like a dream, is dead on accurate and brand new in just about every way, but it doesn't have that left over prop from Band of Brothers look that a CMP one will. I just don't want to step down in quality from what I have now.

Go with a Service Grade. Barrel will be good if not excellent, same with the rest. Best deal in any firearm out there IMO.

1903 Springer

You cant go wrong with the service grade for shure!! but i would not rule
out the Greek rack grade guns, i was fortunate to grab three of the H&Rs and one
Springfield, all rack-grades and every one has excelant bores!! reason?
thay never gave the troops ammo!! its a manditory army and moral was
nill, exceptionaly hi rate of suicides!! so the stocks are realy beat-bad,
and the price is right!! (plenty of wood around)

Sheriff Dudley s.a.s.s. #17925

1903 springer

Oh yea i forgot! Mil-4me you said somthing about a steamer from Wally-world
for $30 bucks! what about a heat-gun? like the kind you take paint off with?
keeping far enough away to just melt the cosmo?? anyone ever use one???

Just a thought! S.D.

sheriff dudley said:
Oh yea i forgot! Mil-4me you said somthing about a steamer from Wally-world
for $30 bucks! what about a heat-gun? like the kind you take paint off with?
keeping far enough away to just melt the cosmo?? anyone ever use one???

Just a thought! S.D.

I've heard of people using them to steam dents with a wet rag, and i've also heard about some scorched wood. Best thing about the steamer is not only is it heat, but high pressure blasting too. You can literally blast cosmolene off once it turns white and paste like.
Another neat trick that requires hardly any work is soaking. This past winter I had a wood stove going in the basement near my gun bench for warmth. An old pot of water sitting on top for adding some moisture to the air gave me the idea to soak small parts like bolts, barrel bands, etc. in there. After about 10 minutes you could see a puddle of cosmolene floating on top of the water and the parts were squeaky clean. [smile] Patting them dry and wiping down with oil made em like brand new.

1903 Springer

Sounds like a good idea!! Now let me see, i need a wood stove, a pot of water
and a rag and what else?? Ha Ha Ha just kiddin but thanks anyway i now
have a bunch of good idea,s all i need is to get off the proverbial butt
and move-it i love to play but hate to pay!!
S.D.

Nickle said:
Milsurps4me, if you a worn look, I've got a stock for you. We would have to trade, since I just couldn't sell it, it's so ugly.

Actually my 03A3 stock is in great shape, even has a stamped matching number to with the rest of the rifle.
If and when I get another Garand, and if it needs a stock, i'll get one of those crazy mottled/flamed birch stocks I see people spending the cash for to have that "Finn" mosin look to it.[grin]

The one I'm thinking of looks like they left the bark on when it was made. UGGGGLY. I replaced it right off, and since replaced it with a properly cartouched stock.

Back
Top Bottom