• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

1903 Pederson Device

I would like to know a bit about the pederson device for the 1903. I may be getting one that has the adaption for the device and if it affects the price and desirability of it as far as being a collectable.

skald...i wont say never cuz its very possible you may find one but i guarantee youd have to sell of your first born in order to afford a pederson device

the pederson device was basically a pistol mag that was fitted into the gun to make it semi auto i believe...i could be wrong my memory is foggy...1903's that have the cut for the pederson device have simply just that...a small slice taken out of the left side of the receiver where spent shells would fly...it does make the gun a lil more desireable but since a pederson device will probably never be happened upon by any of us in my opinion i'd buy one of the guns without the cut in it and with the money you save buy some ammo to shoot

some may say it makes the gun more desireable some may say less...sure its collectable and all but wouldnt you rather have something functional like an original bayonet for the rifle rather than a hole cut for something youll never use?

its just my .02 but id save the money and buy a non cut one

I would like to know a bit about the pederson device for the 1903. I may be getting one that has the adaption for the device and if it affects the price and desirability of it as far as being a collectable.
Skald,
Thhe Pedersen device is a fascinating piece of US military history. An "03 that is cut for one should make a nice addition to your collection. If you would like to see one up close and learn more about US military arms, you should visit the Springfield Armory. They have a nice display of several of the units and thier accessories.

pedersendevice-vi.jpg

Just about any 03 (as long as its not Bubba'ed) is collectible these days, especially if the price for it is good or at least fair.
Just about anything you want to know about the design can be found here:
http://www.odcmp.com/Services/Rifles/pipsqueak_pistol.htm
As for prices, I've seen them sell for anywhere between $600 and $900 depending on condition, matching parts, etc.

GEtting an 03 with the cutout is fine..Won't hurt it for normal use at all. It'll probably even be worth more.

Unless you win the lottery and are very lucky locating one, don't ever expect to get 'the device'. I know a guy who has one - in his safe deposit box.

Last one I heard being sold was over $25k.

Just remember, rifles numbered under 800,000 are generally considered not safe to shoot because of heat treating issues when mfd'd. Bolts have been know to stick themselves into people's faces.

Back
Top Bottom