• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

1903-22 - Info Request - PIC HEAVY

So another "Gramp's closet" find showed up at my door and I need your help with ID and value.

I suspect it a 1903 22 trainer that may be a CMP gun - Lyman peep sights, no sling, great wood - overall it needs a steam bath and detailed cleaning. It reportedly fires and hits where it's aimed.

See the pics and let me know what you think
Thanks
IMG_6809.jpg
IMG_6810.jpg
IMG_6811.jpg
IMG_6814.jpg
IMG_6816.jpg

Might I suggest before cleaning, we find out what it is? Sometime steaming a stock will diminish value. It won't hurt the metal, though.

I don't think the stock is original, as it appears to be a post-WWII scant stock for an 03-A3.

What are the markings on the receiver? 22 Cal M1? M2?

Thanks.

yeah the stock doesn't look right, at least the handguard doesn't, for that rifle. But its a beautiful stock none the less! I wouldn't do much to it.

Looks like an 1922 M2 but maybe with a bubbaed stock to make it look more like an 03? never seen a 1922 with a handguard....

Last edited:
If it is an M1922 on the receiver (and it looks like it might be), then it can be a valuable variant.

But finding a correct stock would be tough.

Absent a closer inspection this would be my guess also.

Might I suggest before cleaning, we find out what it is? Sometime steaming a stock will diminish value. It won't hurt the metal, though.

I don't think the stock is original, as it appears to be a post-WWII scant stock for an 03-A3.

What are the markings on the receiver? 22 Cal M1? M2?

Thanks.

http://www.milsurps.com/archive/index.php/t-48832.html?

Very interesting from the thread above....

"You have a US Model of 1922 M1 (one of the later versions by the serial number and the annotation) which has been converted to the M2 configuration by changing the bolt and the Magazine(?). It has been installed in an early M1903 stock. Since you indicate that the barrel is dated 3-32, I would tend to believe that the barrel is/was original. If the magazine is stamped "M2" than it is for the M2 version. Evidently someone has turned down the barrel to accommodate the M1903 Fixed Rear Sight Base and installed it. It appears to me that the upper band is from a M1917.
Such a conversion was proposed in an early AMERICAN RIFLEMAN, (CIRCA LATE 1930) , to allow a competitive shooter to practice indoors with a rifle that approximated his service rifle. During winter time the shooter could shoot indoor gallery for practice and be ready for the big bore season when it arrived. The original article suggested using a type C stock to simulate the 1929 and later NM M1903. Perhaps the original owner of this rifle had a 1928 or earlier NM M1903 which would have come equipped with type type S tock and he wanted to simulate this."

OK Guys - here's some markings and other info:
the receiver is only partially visible due the the handguard being installed
U.S.
Springfield
Armory
Model of 19....
MI (with another I stamped, it's crooked) Cal.2...
5971B

Bolt has a lot of stamps, etc,:bolt handle has "N.8." Possibly and S
underneath is "M2"
There is a 3 on the underside of the bolt handle

there also appears to be some numbers etched by the lugs - 2 lines, the top is worn off from the action but bottom is definitely a "55"

The safety has a "3" on the back of it

The bottom lug at the rear has "C 9335"

More to come

Edits for numbers

Well it's got good screws and there's some gummy from oil and age - Hoppes it doing it's thing. It's got honest wear and it's coming apart easily (and slowly). Toothbrushes and q-tips are working out well too.

A little work to the barreled action and I can start the wood

Oh - What's the tube thingie in the buttstock for?

Last edited:
Check the magazine for an 'M2' embossed on it. M1 and M2 magazines do not interchange as they seat at different heights. The M2 seats 0.040" or so higher. An M2 bolt will over-ride a round if using an M1 magazine. M2 magazines are scarce and costly though aftermarket ones are available. I have two Triple K mags for my M2 and one original.

This is mine;

The 'NS' on the bolt means nickle steel, then M2 for obvious reasons. The number under the 'M2' is a heat lot I believe.

You have a very desirable, valuable and uncommon US Model of 1922 MI/ .22 cal with the early Springfield installed Lyman M48B long slide rear sight.

The big hurt? The stock is incorrect, and it will be tough to find the correct stock. These originally came without the handguard, and a special C-stock style pistol grip and unique buttplate. Start looking for a stock with those features as seen below.

(disregard the handguard, checkering, and front bayonet lug/band on mine, as it is still in 30-06, not in .22 cal)

M1903starget_001.jpg

M1903starget_002.jpg

M1903starget_003.jpg

M1903starget_004.jpg

M1903starget_005.jpg

Back
Top Bottom