17 Hmr

Milsurps How does yours like HP'sw. I took mine shooting today and it wasn't thrilled with them CCI Hollow Point. The Hornady Varmint Express with the V-max on the other hand were great.

Moderator said:
Milsurps How does yours like HP'sw. I took mine shooting today and it wasn't thrilled with them CCI Hollow Point. The Hornady Varmint Express with the V-max on the other hand were great.

Hollow points group lousy for me, but are great if you're shooting at objects like chestnuts. [smile]
Quick story.... A year ago around Christmas time someone had took string and hung chestnuts and tangerines from the target stands where I shoot at 100 yards. Luckily the person who hung these and left em only hit a few tangerines, frustrated gift basket recipient maybe, who knows. [laugh]
Anyway I was at the benches alongside a friend of mine who was shooting a 223 Savage LE series rifle with Tasco scope. He had only been shooting for a few months and I figured would easily nail all the hanging chestnuts while i'd be struggling for more than 2. After trying to dial in on the small targets, he opted for the tangerines instead leaving the chestnuts for me. First shot I took using CCI V-Max popped the chestnut but with less than impressive impact results but great accuracy. I grabbed another magazine and loaded up CCI TNT hollow point ammo. I knew this round was sloppy for groups but wanted impact and impact it delivered. Took me 2 shots this time but when I hit the second chestnut it sent pieces flying in a white cloud of debris that was visible to everyone on the line. [smile] Now i'm no ammo expert but I know open hollow points probably won't give the pinpoint accuracy polymer tipped rounds like the V-Max will. At least they don't in my rifle.
Want some REAL fun?? Take a dozen or so empty small cans like the little V8 Juice cans, or Red Bull cans, bring them down to the target line, stand em on a steady surface and fill each one to the top with water. I usually take a little red or blue powdered drink mix and add it to a 2 liter bottle filled with water for color. One 2 liter bottle will fill a good number of small aluminum cans. When you hit one of these targets with a fast moving little hollow point bullet like the 17hmr, the impact is hard and easily seen. Not to mention the can is torn up well.
My favorite for this is my Ruger M77 Mk2 in 204. At about 4,000 fps, it literally vaporizes the water and can into a cloud.[smile]

Back
Top Bottom