17 Hmr

I have a Savage 93r17 FVSS that I got from Northeast Trading Co. a year or so ago. I had some extraction trouble with it at first and had to send it to Savage after they sent me replacement springs for the bolt, and even a new magazine. Come to find out it was a tight chamber problem. Now as long as I keep it clean it works fine.
I scoped it first with a BSA Sweet 17 low end power scope (3 to 7 I think it was) and loved it. Then I moved up to the higher end Sweet 17 model and can't get off the shots I did with the lower magnification. [rolleyes]
Definitely flat shooting and accurate, although ammo is expensive.

2b89fd22.jpg

derek said:
I think I want to get one. [devil2]

You can find quite a few positive reviews online, heres the one that sold me:
http://www.gunblast.com/Savage-93R17.htm

I heard now these models are being offered with Savage's AccuTrigger system, plus theres a target stock model out now! http://www.savagearms.com/93r17BTVS.htm
Very sleek and sexy.[smile] I may have to see about ordering one of these. Wonder if I can put mine on consignment at Northeast Trading Co. and order a new one.[thinking]

Milsurps 4 Me said:
You can find quite a few positive reviews online, heres the one that sold me:
http://www.gunblast.com/Savage-93R17.htm

I heard now these models are being offered with Savage's AccuTrigger system, plus theres a target stock model out now! http://www.savagearms.com/93r17BTVS.htm
Very sleek and sexy.[smile] I may have to see about ordering one of these. Wonder if I can put mine on consignment at Northeast Trading Co. and order a new one.[thinking]

That thing looks sweet!

Jon for me until the boys are old enough.[wink]

I've got one...a Marlin 917VS bolt action. I haven't had a chance to shoot it too much, but I like it a lot and know that it will be a tack-driver. I put a Leupold VX-I 4x12x40 on it for a bit longer range than a 3x9.

Marlin917VS.jpg

dreppucci007 said:
I've got one...a Marlin 917VS bolt action. I haven't had a chance to shoot it too much, but I like it a lot and know that it will be a tack-driver. I put a Leupold VX-I 4x12x40 on it for a bit longer range than a 3x9.

Marlin917VS.jpg

Nice looking rifle Dave.

The thing I've read, if you get the .22 mag 10/22, you can just swap out the barrel for a .17 HMR and it's good to go. No other changes. So, if you like then crap that you can do with a 10/22, you can really get two guns by just buying a barrel. Being that it's only a screw that holds the barrel on.

I've been wanting a .17 HMR for a long time... Just keep finding things that I want a lot more before I get around to it.

If you can change calibers by a simple to do barrel switch, as in the 10/22, that would be a good way to go. I don't see 22 Mag ammo going off the market any time soon.

You won't get the same accuracy with a swap over 10/22. Now if you invest in the new Sako 4 in 1 Quad rifle thats out there or coming out, its capable of accuracy and will never go out of style. http://www.rifleshootermag.com/featured_rifles/sako_092005/
Theres even a special scope with diferent dial settings to keep zero when you switch over.

There was a write up of that in Shooting Times. Man, that looks like a sweet deal. And they are color coded so you can match everything up pretty easily.

I was thinking about picking up one of those.

Any why isn't the accuracy there when you do a barrel swap in the 10/22?

Looks nice but $1800+ (including tax) is ouch!

Wonder what street price really will be. Someone curious enough needs to ask Carl?

Hopefully you bring it with you.

For reference, a bolt action that has a threaded barrel is easy for a gunsmith to change barrels on. That is the best way to deal with the situation, other than something that can be had in both 17 HMR or 22 Mag. It's also a solution to the 5mm's out there.

C-pher said:
There was a write up of that in Shooting Times. Man, that looks like a sweet deal. And they are color coded so you can match everything up pretty easily.

I was thinking about picking up one of those.

Any why isn't the accuracy there when you do a barrel swap in the 10/22?

For one thing you won't get the accuracy in a semi auto that you will in a bolt action.
Another reason is because you are taking a rifle (10/22) that was specifically designed for one function, not 4 like the Sako, or even one of the Savage 17hmr rifles were designed for. Savage rifles are known for outstanding accuracy plus value.
Myself I don't see the 17hmr going away anytime soon. There have been tons of sales of rifles, pistols, conversions, etc. and just about every major company is making ammo for it.

Milsurps 4 Me said:
For one thing you won't get the accuracy in a semi auto that you will in a bolt action.
Another reason is because you are taking a rifle (10/22) that was specifically designed for one function, not 4 like the Sako, or even one of the Savage 17hmr rifles were designed for. Savage rifles are known for outstanding accuracy plus value.
Myself I don't see the 17hmr going away anytime soon. There have been tons of sales of rifles, pistols, conversions, etc. and just about every major company is making ammo for it.

I understand that a bolt action is more accurate than the semi. I'm just saying, the .22 mag and the .17HMR are the same case. Just one is necked down more. So the action is going to no different. It's just ramping into a smaller barrel.

I understand that it was designed for a .22 mag, but I can't see it being so out of wack that it's not worth it...but then I could be wrong. All the things that I was reading, (which I can't locate online) was saying that with Brownells barrel, they were able to keep a 1" group at 100 yards.

That's not too bad...granted that it's a lot at 500 or 1000 yards, but not too bad at the distance that we'd be shooting around here...

But, as I've never done it myself, I can't say for sure.

Anyway, at some point, I do plan on getting a .17 HMR as well...

dffa284b.jpg

I did indeed shoot mine today. I dialed in the BSA Sweet 17 scope at its highest power (18) and did pretty well for a breezy day. For some reason the new scope doesn't give me the groups that the old 2-7 power BSA 17 scope I had on the rifle before. Now I get a flyer here and there where before when using the low powered one i'd get 5 shots I could cover with a quarter. [thinking] I've already sent the new scope back to BSA once and they replaced it with a new one, but i'm thinking a high end Weaver would give me better results. I firmly believe when it comes to optics... you get what you pay for. What ever I decide on I now know I need some flip up covers after seeing TYPEO's rifle. [grin]

Back
Top Bottom