• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ammunition storage cabinets?

I bought a couple of these from a Framingham based used furniture dealer. Each shelf slides out on rollers. They contained lots of those grey storage boxes that can be used to hold ammo. And he put a locking gizmo on both of them.

The shelves hold a LOT of weight and they work very well.

Try shopping at a used furniture dealer. It is hit or miss as their inventory changes all the time. But the price was right, he was willing to make them lockable and deliver. John was a pleasure to deal with:

John Meadows
Owner
Used Office & Warehouse Equipment
59 Fountain St
Framingham Ma 01702
phone 508-879-8693
[email protected]
www.usedofficefurnitureusa.com

downsized_0216011027.jpg

Last edited:
I have a six foot high double door metal cabinet that would make greet storage for ammo cases with the addition of a padlock.

I just moved and this cabinet can't come with me so it free for the taking. (You need a truck and another guy to carry it)

Emoto has first dibs if he wants it, but after he says yes or no if anyone else wants it, you can have it just for picking it up in Norton... soon.

I bought a couple of these from a Framingham based used furniture dealer. Each shelf slides out on rollers. They contained lots of those grey storage boxes that can be used to hold ammo. And he put a locking gizmo on both of them.

The shelves hold a LOT of weight and they work very well.

Try shopping at a used furniture dealer. It is hit or miss as their inventory changes all the time. But the price was right, he was willing to make them lockable and deliver. John was a pleasure to deal with:

John Meadows
Owner
Used Office & Warehouse Equipment
59 Fountain St
Framingham Ma 01702
phone 508-879-8693
[email protected]
www.usedofficefurnitureusa.com

John is a great guy and you can't go wrong dealing with him. He was the Treasurer of my fishing club for a while, and did the Boston Marathon Jimmy Fund walk with me 2 years ago to benefit Dana Farber Cancer Institute.

ETA: added pic,, that's him on the left, me on right.

Attachments

• finish2-med.jpg
    finish2-med.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
I just use a big metal storage cabinet with a locking handle. The shelves are supposedly good to something like 250 lbs (check the specs on any you buy). I was able to get mine at cost, but even that was expensive. Probably better off trying to find something used.

I have 2 of these, Storage File cabs, I can fit 12 .30 Cal ammo cans in each drawer, they are extremely sturdy. I also have one of these Tall Storage , This is for 5.56 and .50 cal mostly, I had to reinforce each shelf though. Of course, they are all empty due to the recent boating accident. I got all three at a company that was going out of business they were less than a year old, $100 and I had to take them away myself! [smile]

anybody know any nifty tricks for locking those military ammo cans that Finallygotabeltfed posted the pic of. i know i can attach a hasp style door lock but that'll be too bulky etc.

anybody know any nifty tricks for locking those military ammo cans that Finallygotabeltfed posted the pic of. i know i can attach a hasp style door lock but that'll be too bulky etc.

Buy a nut and bolt the diameter of the hole in the latch of the ammo can, drill a hole in it to accomodate the shackle of a small padlock. Drill the can(empty of course) from the outside using the hole in the latch as a guide. Put the bolt through from the inside using a rubber washer to seal it, put the nut on, close the lid and apply the lock.
I'm sure you can do it for much less than the $23+ dollars each that they cost from the posted website.

I'm actually working on some DIY locks for ammo cans as we speak that should end up costing about $3 each. I'll post some pics when I'm done.

I use old (non-fireproof) file cabinets filled with ammo cans.

If you find good ones, they're not at all flimsy, you can fill them with ammo, and you can get them for practically nothing.

They never have the keys, but you can buy replacement locks (keyed alike) for very short money.

Buy a nut and bolt the diameter of the hole in the latch of the ammo can, drill a hole in it to accomodate the shackle of a small padlock. Drill the can(empty of course) from the outside using the hole in the latch as a guide. Put the bolt through from the inside using a rubber washer to seal it, put the nut on, close the lid and apply the lock.
I'm sure you can do it for much less than the $23+ dollars each that they cost from the posted website.

I'm actually working on some DIY locks for ammo cans as we speak that should end up costing about $3 each. I'll post some pics when I'm done.

3/8" Clevis Pins with 7/8" of usable length (that means, behind the hole)

3/8" Push Nuts

Luggage sized pad lock

Make sure you center the handle on the ammo can, there is alot of slop there and this is important.

Transfer the hole to the can from the locking lever. Drill a 3/8" hole thru the can. Your mark will fall directly over the seam, be careful because the drill will want to walk off the edge. I step drilled, first with a 1/8" bit, then up to 3/8".

Push the pin thru from the inside of the can, put on push nut, seal it with some silicone and there you have it!

031908_11121.jpg

lock.jpg

Last edited:

3/8" Push Nuts

seal in place with silicone

Luggage sized pad lock

031908_11121.jpg

lock.jpg

Good idea!

BTW, for the inquiring poster, clevis pins come in larger diameters to accomodate a larger lock shackel.

Last edited by a moderator:

3/8" Push Nuts

Luggage sized pad lock

Make sure you center the handle on the ammo can, there is alot of slop there and this is important.

Transfer the hole to the can from the locking lever. Drill a 3/8" hole thru the can. Your mark will fall directly over the seam, be careful because the drill will want to walk off the edge. I step drilled, first with a 1/8" bit, then up to 3/8".

Push the pin thru from the inside of the can, put on push nut, seal it with some silicone and there you have it!

031908_11121.jpg

lock.jpg

That's very similar to what I'm doing, except I'm using 0.375" hanger bolts. I wasn't able to find clevis pins that were readily available (read: from mcmaster-carr) that had holes larger than .125". The bolt will be secured from both sides of the can, and I was planning on sealing with RTV silicone. Will accommodate padlocks with 0.25" shackle diameter (which I already have on hand).

Last edited:
Very cool posts about making your own ammo can lock. I swung by the hardware store today and bought some 7/16" tine pins (the clevis pins they had either didn't have a large enough hole diameter or were too long), push nuts, rubber washers, and silicone. Going to make up a can or two this weekend.

Edit: Just found this http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=97342 which is cheaper if you can put a nice hole through a regular bolt.

Last edited:
Powder and Ammunition Storage
"small arms ammunition, primers, smokeless propellants and black powder shall be stored in original containers and such containers shall be stored in a locked cabinet, closet or box when not in use."

My house is one big closet with a deadbolt. Simple:)

Am looking for locking/lockable cabinets or other types of containers to store ammo. Am ideally seeking something that could hold multiple cases of ammo. What have you folks found that works well for you? Links to commercially available products appreciated. Thanks!

I bought a couple used high-school lockers on the interweb a couple years back... Couldn't the same web site but here's something similar.
http://www.schoollockers.com/discounted-lockers-for-sale/discounted-double-tier-lockers-for-sale

Scroll down to the scratch and dent section for the best deals

Powder and Ammunition Storage
"small arms ammunition, primers, smokeless propellants and black powder shall be stored in original containers and such containers shall be stored in a locked cabinet, closet or box when not in use."

My house is one big closet with a deadbolt. Simple:)

I like the way you think [smile]

I've been thinking about some new storage for my ammo and I found this when looking for vented chemical cabinets:
http://www.labsafety.com/refinfo/ezfacts/ezf215.htm

Don't Vent Unless You Have To

According to NFPA (National Fire Protection Association) Code 30, Flammable and Combustible Liquids Code Handbook, venting a chemical storage cabinet is not necessary for fire protection purposes. Flammable and combustible liquid storage cabinets are designed to protect the internal contents from a fire outside the cabinet. A vented cabinet could compromise the ability of the cabinet to protect its contents from a fire.

According to NFPA Code 30, 9.5.4*, "The cabinet is not required to be vented for fire protection purposes."

9.5.4.2, states; "If vented for whatever reason, the storage cabinet vent openings shall be ducted directly to outdoors in such a manner that will not compromise the specific performance of the cabinet and in a manner that is acceptable to the authority having jurisdiction."

9.5.4.1, states; If the cabinet is not ventilated, storage cabinet vent openings shall be sealed with the bungs supplied with the cabinet or with bungs specified by the manufacturer."

NFPA Code 30 clearly dismisses the need to vent storage cabinets in its appendix. Under A.9.5.4 it states, Venting storage cabinets has not been demonstrated to be necessary for fire protection purposes. Additionally, venting a cabinet could compromise the ability of the cabinet to adequately protect its contents from involvement in a fire since cabinets are not generally tested with venting. Therefore, venting of a storage cabinet is not recommended."

Maybe the conventional wisdom of this group is incorrect. Having something that is not vented might be better in case of a fire.

Back
Top Bottom