• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

147 grain loads in a 9mm

appraiser

NES Member
anyone want to comment on this? From a thread over on one of the motorcycle forums

From http://www.chuckhawks.com/ammo_by_anonymous.htm

Now it is time to impart some crucial information:

NEVER use 147 grain ammo in a 9mm pistol!

There was a stupid fad for 147 grain hollowpoints a few years ago, and many were suckered into buying these weak, worthless and malfunction-prone rounds. I don't care what you've heard: never use any 9mm hollowpoint heavier than 125 grains. 147 grain hollowpoints often jam in many popular 9mm guns like the Browning Hi-Power, SIG, Beretta 92, S&W and Glock. Ignore the gun magazine hype and stick to what works.

If you want to gamble, go to Reno. Don't gamble with your life. 147 grain ammo sucks.

Bad 9mm Loads to avoid (and certainly NEVER carry). Numbers given:

Federal Gold Medal 9mm 147 grain JHP (9MS)
Federal Hydra-Shok 9mm 147 grain JHP (P9HS2)
Winchester 147 grain 9mm Silvertip Subsonic JHP (X9MMST147)
Winchester 147 grain 9mm Super-X Subsonic (XSUB9MM)
Remington 147 grain 9mm JHP (R9MM8)
Remington 147 grain 9mm Golden Saber JHP (GS9MMC)
Remington 140 grain 9mm JHP (R9MM7)
Remington 88 grain 9mm JHP (R9MM5) This bullet is far too light.
CCI Lawman 147 grain 9mm PHP "Plated Hollow Point" (3619)

Well it may be true (I don't know) for CCW loads.. but for competition- 147gr are very popular... not in HP though. ;)

The HST in 147gr look pretty impressive. I've never heard of 147gr jhp jamming more often than other types. 9mm is 9mm. Whether it's a 115 +P+ or 147gr it's still just a 9mm. As with all handgun rounds shot placement is key.

I prefer standard pressure 124gr HST over +P because I am faster w/o the extra recoil. I haven't had a chance to try the 147gr yet, but my P99 has NEVER jammed, and I'm sure it will eat the 147gr just as well as the others.

I use my 147gr HP handloads in 3 handguns and 1 carbine, never had a hic-up. I load 135gr protected HP's(same as hydro-shock) also, no issues. 124gr RNL, 124,115,90gr and all function fine. jp

Who needs 147gr when 115 will do the job? :p

IMG_3186.jpg

My Dept. at one time carried the 147 gr subsonic HP.They were very accurate,however we had a few failures in shooting injured cats,dogs etc.If that bullet was given another 150fps,I believe it would work much better.

Well it may be true (I don't know) for CCW loads.. but for competition- 147gr are very popular... not in HP though. ;)

For competition, Team Glock uses 9mm 147 JHP made by Atlanta Arms.

I have been shooting it for a couple of years, it is a sub sonic round (sometimes very sub, Lugnut) designed for IDPA/IPSC shooting and it has run through my Glock 17 without any problems.

I agree that For CC, 147gr isn't the best choice but don't necessarily agree that all 147gr are "malfunction-prone rounds".

From what I remember when I researched the topic and spent hours and hours pouring over ballistics tests and all sorts of info, velocity is the name of the game when it comes to hollowpoint expansion. Back during the 147gr. hollowpoint fad the subsonic velocity was not enough to reliably expand the hollowpoint designs of the time. From what I understand there are records of even black talons overpenetrating.

It seems to be less of an issue with today's hollowpoint designs. When I carried a 9mm I chose 124gr or 124gr +p Gold dots.

Now I just use a .45 [smile]

I have some 147gr CorBon hollow points that develop 1160 fps out of a S&W 5906 (four inch barrel). Seems like an excellent carry load to me.

I've got a Ruger P89 9mm that I never shoot anymore that hates the lighter 115 gr. bullets. Can't hit the broad side of a barn with them. I was shooting with a friend one day and he offered me some ammo when I ran out. I was pleasantly surprised how good the Ruger shot when his heavier bullets were used. Until I switched to .40 and .45 I shot quite a few 147 grain rounds out of the Ruger and never had a FTF or a FTE.

...NEVER use 147 grain ammo in a 9mm pistol!

There was a stupid fad for 147 grain hollowpoints a few years ago, and many were suckered into buying these weak, worthless and malfunction-prone rounds. I don't care what you've heard: never use any 9mm hollowpoint heavier than 125 grains. 147 grain hollowpoints often jam in many popular 9mm guns like the Browning Hi-Power, SIG, Beretta 92, S&W and Glock. ...

If your screen name was Rugeraholic, you probably wouldn't be posting this complaint (-: . The Rugers seem to do very well with most any ammunition.

When the Mass State Police carried 9mm SIG 226's, the issue round was the Winchester Ranger SXT 147 Controlled Expansion. They look very similar to the old Black Talon. I don't remember any reports of problems when they used this round. I happen to still have a full box right here that a trooper gave me when they switched over to the .40's.

Federal Hydra-Shok 9mm 147 grain JHP (P9HS2)

I've only had one issue with the thousand or so I have shot. It was a FTF on a slide rack on a S&W 910. I believe it was my fault, but it did happen. Flawless in everything else I have tried it in. I'd have no issue carrying it for PP.

I only shoot 147's out of my HP and not having any feed problems. A lot of the probems associated with the HP stems from the magazines. My preferences are MecGar and Inglis.

When the Mass State Police carried 9mm SIG 226's, the issue round was the Winchester Ranger SXT 147 Controlled Expansion. They look very similar to the old Black Talon. I don't remember any reports of problems when they used this round. I happen to still have a full box right here that a trooper gave me when they switched over to the .40's.

I've tried and still have some of this ammo and it feeds fine from my HP and my Glock.

FWIW I use Frontier 147gr CMJ's for my competition loads in both of my 9mm's.

Back
Top Bottom