12 Gauge Mossberg 500. Will it kick like a mule?

229539_1722879109650_1872663_n.jpg

This is 2 3" slugs going down range simultaneously. From a gun that probably weighs about 1/2 what your 500 does.

Don't worry about the recoil. Tuck the gun in the right way (see video earlier in the thread), and you'll be fine.

Today was the big day everyone :). I brought her to the first range firing and put shooting a shotgun for the first time under my firearms journey and I wanted to update everyone here who were helpful of how it went.

I first started last night, practicing form, loading and unloading, racking the pump to expel the rounds and all and all getting to know the gun inside and out. This made me more comfortable with it as a whole.

A few days ago I also installed a tactical adjustable stock with a pistol grip and recoil pad. This also aided control of the gun so much and it makes it less taxing and much more poseable and gripable at least from my experience.

To detail the day, I woke up today nervous but more so excited to try it out, entered the gun range. Stepped into the indoor range with some pre shooting angst and adrenaline, set my target out down yonder. Loaded her up and took the big boy gulp and pulled the trigger and seen what she had.

What I was greeted with was a feeling i'll never forget. Certainly not pain, certainly not fear but pure god damn patriotic happiness and adrenaline and it was the best feeling ive had in quite some time. It's like a hand cannon and it thumps your soul so softly and makes you more of a man for having done it. I have to tell ya, it's like you're hearing the national anthem, George Washington smiling and bald eagles screaming every time you pull that trigger.

The flash that comes out the barrel, the smell, the thunderous boom. It's all just magical indoors lol. It even got a proud chuckle out of the range officer because I informed him it was my first time.

As for the recoil, It's way way less than I thought it'd be. It had some kick to it of course, and my shoulder is a tad sore all these hours later to the touch but it's so damn worth it lol. Nothing where it'd send ya back or rip your muscles apart. I'd shoot 100 more buck shots if I had brought 100 more. It's not devastating or fear inducing pain, it's kinda more majestic feeling. It's power translated more into my inner fixing and soul than my shoulder.

My form was pretty good for my first time based on what my dad said, landed all shots on target and although It was my first time I felt at home after the first shot. No angst at all. It's so comforting and made me love the gun 20 times more than I already did.

I'm one happy camper today. Thank you so much everyone for all the tips and friendly advice.

Hope everyone has a great weekend. :)

40680630705_1898fd79e4.jpg
DSC05300[/url] by Instant High Five, on Flickr[/IMG] DSC05300.JPG

Today was the big day everyone :). I brought her to the first range firing and put shooting a shotgun for the first time under my firearms journey and I wanted to update everyone here who were helpful of how it went.

I first started last night, practicing form, loading and unloading, racking the pump to expel the rounds and all and all getting to know the gun inside and out. This made me more comfortable with it as a whole.

A few days ago I also installed a tactical adjustable stock with a pistol grip and recoil pad. This also aided control of the gun so much and it makes it less taxing and much more poseable and gripable at least from my experience.

To detail the day, I woke up today nervous but more so excited to try it out, entered the gun range. Stepped into the indoor range with some pre shooting angst and adrenaline, set my target out down yonder. Loaded her up and took the big boy gulp and pulled the trigger and seen what she had.

What I was greeted with was a feeling i'll never forget. Certainly not pain, certainly not fear but pure god damn patriotic happiness and adrenaline and it was the best feeling ive had in quite some time. It's like a hand cannon and it thumps your soul so softly and makes you more of a man for having done it. I have to tell ya, it's like you're hearing the national anthem, George Washington smiling and bald eagles screaming every time you pull that trigger.

The flash that comes out the barrel, the smell, the thunderous boom. It's all just magical indoors lol. It even got a proud chuckle out of the range officer because I informed him it was my first time.

As for the recoil, It's way way less than I thought it'd be. It had some kick to it of course, and my shoulder is a tad sore all these hours later to the touch but it's so damn worth it lol. Nothing where it'd send ya back or rip your muscles apart. I'd shoot 100 more buck shots if I had brought 100 more. It's not devastating or fear inducing pain, it's kinda more majestic feeling. It's power translated more into my inner fixing and soul than my shoulder.

My form was pretty good for my first time based on what my dad said, landed all shots on target and although It was my first time I felt at home after the first shot. No angst at all. It's so comforting and made me love the gun 20 times more than I already did.

I'm one happy camper today. Thank you so much everyone for all the tips and friendly advice.

Hope everyone has a great weekend. :)

40680630705_1898fd79e4.jpg
DSC05300[/url] by Instant High Five, on Flickr[/IMG]View attachment 230823

Cool, now go try shooting at something that moves, like some little orange disks flying through the air!

It really depends. A 28in barrel will kick less than a 18in home defense barrel because of the extra weight out front. Ammo also plays a huge part, a 3 inch magnum will kick the hell out of you, while a target load will be a pussy cat. I would add a limbsaver recoil pad and possible add weight inside the stock if it proves to be too much for you. I’m partial to piston semi autos because of the felt recoil reduction. I just picked up a left hand autoloader, a Tristar Viper G2 for $400, solid Turkish shotgun.

Oh boy... You've been bitten by the gun bug. Say goodbye to your savings. Remember, whenever safe you think will be big enough, buy one at least twice that size.

I'm pretty sure that he just wants to shoot it, at least for now. Maybe when he gets to know it better, he can put on a little music, have a glass of wine, and then think about mounting it.

Yeah, forgot its just a mossberg 500. He needs to get himself a hawt piece like this and then he won't be able to resist dimming the lights:

WTS - Browning BT99 adjustable

If you are worried about the recoil buy a Knoxx or ATI stock for it. The stock(s) are adjustable and absorb the recoil by a good amount. I thinks it's worth the $100 and everyone can shoot it without concern.

I have one with an 18.5 inch barrel and a 28 inch barrel. Shooting target load stuff for a little while it isn't that bad. Hunting or defense ammo it kicks like a f@#$%ing horse. I use it sometimes as a backup gun for trap and it's best with the lightest target loads you can get. Any thing over 1200 fps and it wears you out pretty fast. I always wear a shoulder recoil pad shooting clays anyway so it's ok for me. Once I bought some target and field ammo, which is a little heavier and hotter, and shot skeet with it and it was hard to get the doubles because I couldn't recover fast enough between shots. With light target it's ok for that too. It only weighs 6 lbs or so. It ain't no trap gun.

So for hot ammo shooting a box or two is fine but if you're going to shoot a lot wear a shoulder pad and/or use light birdshot target ammo.

It's not a 600 Nitro Express.

I have one with an 18.5 inch barrel and a 28 inch barrel. Shooting target load stuff for a little while it isn't that bad. Hunting or defense ammo it kicks like a f@#$%ing horse. I use it sometimes as a backup gun for trap and it's best with the lightest target loads you can get. Any thing over 1200 fps and it wears you out pretty fast. I always wear a shoulder recoil pad shooting clays anyway so it's ok for me. Once I bought some target and field ammo, which is a little heavier and hotter, and shot skeet with it and it was hard to get the doubles because I couldn't recover fast enough between shots. With light target it's ok for that too. It only weighs 6 lbs or so. It ain't no trap gun.

So for hot ammo shooting a box or two is fine but if you're going to shoot a lot wear a shoulder pad and/or use light birdshot target ammo.

It's not a 600 Nitro Express.

Mine is the 18.5 inch barrel too. I do enjoy the shorter barrel because it makes the gun much more manageable from my experience. They gave two other barrels with the combo package. One is a fairly long barrel. I'd say maybe a 24I know it probably kicks more and has more bounce to it but just for the added comfort and weight reduction alone I find it a good trade off :).

If you are worried about the recoil buy a Knoxx or ATI stock for it. The stock(s) are adjustable and absorb the recoil by a good amount. I thinks it's worth the $100 and everyone can shoot it without concern.

I purchased a adjustable stock with a pistol grip very similar to the ATI brand ones recently. It did help very much. The pistol grips makes it way more controllable. And I love the feel of the stock compared to the original one.

Next time I go to the range i'm going to try to put a SST Slug through it and see how it goes, from what everyone here said that should kick even more than the federal buckshots did :). They seem to be pricey though so i'll only waste 1 or 2 on paper targets.

Mine is the 18.5 inch barrel too. I do enjoy the shorter barrel because it makes the gun much more manageable from my experience. They gave two other barrels with the combo package. One is a fairly long barrel. I'd say maybe a 24I know it probably kicks more and has more bounce to it but just for the added comfort and weight reduction alone I find it a good trade off :).

I purchased a adjustable stock with a pistol grip very similar to the ATI brand ones recently. It did help very much. The pistol grips makes it way more controllable. And I love the feel of the stock compared to the original one.

Next time I go to the range i'm going to try to put a SST Slug through it and see how it goes, from what everyone here said that should kick even more than the federal buckshots did :). They seem to be pricey though so i'll only waste 1 or 2 on paper targets.

The shorter barrel will recoil the most. You got 3 barrels? That's cool. If you got a 28 inch barrel try shooting trap with it. Good times.

Back
Top Bottom