12 Gauge Mossberg 500. Will it kick like a mule?

Hello folks, I just purchased a Mossberg 500 combo with different barrels for different purposes at my local dick's. I'm loving it. Look forward to trying it. Will I get kicked down to the ground? I mean i've heard boogie man stories about shotguns breaking shoulders or sending people on their butt. That it'll rattle your soul and has brought the likes of grown men to tears. But was wondering if I can handle the beast lol. I'm 225 and 6 feet tall. half fat, half on the way to not being fat :). fairly strong. Not that it matters. I've studied how to hold it when firing but of course it's my first time so the first few will need adjusting.

How bad is the punch on one? Will wearing a jacket help absorb the punch? I assume it would. Any tips for the first time shotgun shooter. I've shot small rifles and large pistols before. Thanks for any help.

it's not bad, its not like you're shooting a .50

Get a slip on recoil pad if you're leery of it, load in a slug and see what she's got

I have one. It thumps, but it's not unpleasant. Technique is a big part enjoying a day of recoil-therapy. Snuggle up tight, left foot a little forward with your weight a little forward. Do some reading on stance for shotgunning. Wear more than a t-shirt your first day out.

A lot depends on the load. A 3” magnum slug is pretty stout, but crappy #9 target loads are a piece of cake. One of the first guns I shot was a 590a1 loaded with slugs. It was fun, but it took a little experience to help me understand shotguns weren’t always like that.

How bad is the punch on one? Will wearing a jacket help absorb the punch? I assume it would. Any tips for the first time shotgun shooter. I've shot small rifles and large pistols before. Thanks for any help.

What sort of load are you planning to shoot? Start out with basic target loads on the trap field and you'll be fine, even after putting a whole box through it.

The hype around 12ga shotguns beating people up is all bullshit. My .270 Winchester deer rifle kicks a hell of a lot more than any of my 12ga shotguns. If you were about 5' and under 100lbs then yeah, you might have an issue and might want to consider a youth 20ga just for comfort and fit. You're a grown man, sack up, shoulder arms, and go kill some shit.

Hello folks, I just purchased a Mossberg 500 combo with different barrels for different purposes at my local dick's. I'm loving it. Look forward to trying it. Will I get kicked down to the ground? I mean i've heard boogie man stories about shotguns breaking shoulders or sending people on their butt. That it'll rattle your soul and has brought the likes of grown men to tears. But was wondering if I can handle the beast lol. I'm 225 and 6 feet tall. half fat, half on the way to not being fat :). fairly strong. Not that it matters. I've studied how to hold it when firing but of course it's my first time so the first few will need adjusting.

If you mount it poorly you might get an uncomfortable bruise. If it hurts to shoot target loads, and you are an average sized man then you are doing something wrong. (Not saying women can't handle it, just I know that women have a different geometry and so it may be an issue of the gun being a very poor fit.)

Go and find a club near you that has public trap/skeet and shoot it there. You will get endless advice about how to improve mounting your shotgun.

Where are you located?

Also longer term there are slip on recoil pads and replacement screw on ones that you can use to decrease felt recoil. I might even have a limbsaver pad for a Mossberg 500 around somewhere. (For example https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00K...+limbsaver&dpPl=1&dpID=41pCOzy2piL&ref=plSrch

https://www.amazon.com/LimbSaver-Slip-On-Recoil-Pad/dp/B01IJUPLTC)

Recoil is very subjective but in general, a 12 gauge shotgun is the most recoil that most people can tolerate well. Others have mentioned these things but they're worth repeating. Slugs kick the most, target loads kick the least and stance means a lot.

I sighted in a 500 with about 15 sabot slugs and I have to admit that stopped being fun after about the tenth round. Most other loads were fine though.

The reason why shotguns or any rifle for that matter "beat you up" is poor fit.
If the pitch/angle of the butt pad is not suited to your build it will cause the shotgun to rise up and smack your cheek.

What model did you get... Weighs about 7lbs.
Figure a 1oz slug is going to have about 25 ftlbs of free energy coming back at you at 16fps , 3" slugs with a little more mmpphh will have a little more.

What sort of load are you planning to shoot? Start out with basic target loads on the trap field and you'll be fine, even after putting a whole box through it.

The hype around 12ga shotguns beating people up is all bullshit. My .270 Winchester deer rifle kicks a hell of a lot more than any of my 12ga shotguns. If you were about 5' and under 100lbs then yeah, you might have an issue and might want to consider a youth 20ga just for comfort and fit. You're a grown man, sack up, shoulder arms, and go kill some shit.
This^

Op.....there are literally dozens and dozens of different loads you can put through a 12 gauge shotgun with a 3 inch chamber like your mossy 500. Gun club target loads with 1 oz of 8 shot are cake. I shoot 3 rounds of trap on a Saturday using those and no problem. If you hunt......I hunt with a 12 g mossy 500 ALOT.... And high brass Remy xtended range loads with 1 1/4 oz of 4 shot "pop" a bit. Get up into 3 inch turkey loads with almost 2 ounces of 5 or 6 shot and yup.....your into some stout recoil. 1 ounce slugs suck......they hurt a bit.....but put deer down hard and that's what they are for. Buckshot......2 3/4 inch shells will get your attention but won't "knock you over". Just pull tight into the pocket of your shoulder....lean in.....you'll be fine.

I sighted in a 500 with about 15 sabot slugs and I have to admit that stopped being fun after about the tenth round. Most other loads were fine though.
I find 0 "enjoyment" in shooting any slugs through a 12 gauge pump action. I only use them for deer hunting. The only time I go to the range and consider it to be "work" rather than "fun" is checking the zero on my 12 gauge before deer season.

it wont hurt you, but it will kick pretty hard, just make sure that the butt sock is firmly and comfortably planted in you're shoulder. Youre cheeks may suffer from some strain from smiling so much after.
Depends on what load your shooting. Trap and sleep target loads should not be uncomfortable at all.

Depends on what load your shooting. Trap and sleep target loads should not be uncomfortable at all.

The only caveat there is "as long as the gun isn't a massively poor fit for you".

I have shot a light 12 ga where the LOP was way too short for me and I had a hefty bruise for a week or so.

The original pad on my 870 (old rubber that didn't have a long of spring in it) had the felt recoil at a "meh" for target loads, and then I put a limbsaver pad on and it went down to about equal to my heavy trap gun.

What the hell is happening to this world? When I was 15 me and all my buddies had shotguns and we'd spend all of our lawn mowing and paper route money on shotgun shells and we'd spend entire days shooting. Hand-thrown clay pigeons, cans, bottles, old cars, whatever.
Now a 225 lb full grown man is posting that he's afraid to try his gun? The times, they are a-changin. And not for the better.
Just shoot the damn thing!

The only caveat there is "as long as the gun isn't a massively poor fit for you".

I have shot a light 12 ga where the LOP was way too short for me and I had a hefty bruise for a week or so.

The original pad on my 870 (old rubber that didn't have a long of spring in it) had the felt recoil at a "meh" for target loads, and then I put a limbsaver pad on and it went down to about equal to my heavy trap gun.
True on poor fit and shoulder bruising.

However....op is worried about being knocked over by his mossy 500. A target load won't knock you over even with poor fit.....well.....unluess your drunk off your ass. Lol

the recoil is dependent on the load. low brass shot is nothing, whereas a magnum slug will wake you up. when i first started shooting pump shotguns I will admit the recoil was painful. but over the years i've come to like it. last time I took the 590 to the range i went through over 100 rds (mostly slugs) and would have keep shooting if not for cost. flinging slugs at 150 yards is just too much fun, although the ballistics are depressing when one considers how much steam a slug loses over just 50-100 yards.

keep the stock snug against shoulder. this will minimize the "thump". if the recoil is too much just put a pachmayr decelerator pad on the stock.

True on poor fit and shoulder bruising.

However....op is worried about being knocked over by his mossy 500. A target load won't knock you over even with poor fit.....well.....unluess your drunk off your ass. Lol

If someone doesn't know how to stand, then they won't be stable and a 12 ga COULD knock them over. If someone who is 110 lbs takes a proper stance and mounts the gun, even if it is a poor fit they will not likely get knocked over regardless of the load.

Something must be wrong with me,

I get a smile doinking the metal critters at 50 then 100 yds w/slugs .

The guys over on the trap field give me the wtf eyeball.

One time on the way out, guy on the trap field said,
When your done hit stationary junk, come over here and have some real fun.:)

Back
Top Bottom