• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

1100 or 11-87

ARV

Ok, so I've decided to get into Skeet. I've shot it in the past with various guns, but I think I'd like to pick up either a Remington 1100 or 11-87. I have used 1100's in the past and liked them, but the 11-87 so far has been easier to find (either way I'll be going with a good used gun) BUT I've heard mixed reviews of the 11-87 cycling light loads. Does anyone here use the 11-87, or have any reason why one is preferred over the other for skeet?

While I have no grounds for comparison to the 1100, I picked up an 11-87 Premier though another green member in the classifieds for this very purpose earlier this summer. I've been firing 2 3/4" 8 shot target loads and have yet to have any cycling issues.

So far it's worked well for me; I'd like to know why the 1100 would be better, as that seems to be the consensus from those I talk to.

Last edited:
I do know there's a difference in the gas systems. The 11-87's can handle the 2 3/4 and 3" interchangeably, were as the 1100 (IIRC) you need diffrent barrels AND a receiver made to handle 3". The gas ports are different, and the 11-87 has a compensation system of some kind. the 1100 would be battered by 3" loads if the ports were too large. Nothing I've seen tells WHY (mechanically speaking) people were/are having problems with light loads but this gun will likely never see anything other than 2 3/4" target loads. I passed up a sale at Dick's on the 11-87, and am having a hard time finding anything set up in a usable configuration for skeet. Plenty of left handed and turkey guns though. [angry] This will likely have to wait till the Big E show.

You already know a lot more about the differences than I do (or anyone at my club seems to). Again, I've put about 300 rounds through it shooting skeet and have yet to have a single cycling issue. With that said, while the gun is almost 20 years old, I doubt it's seen 500 rounds total. I picked it up virtually brand new off the classifieds for just over $400.

Certainly beat paying a higher list price on one brand new. The only part I'd worry about being worn out on a used 1100 or 11-87 is the gas ring, but that's what, a $1.50 part at an auto parts store.

The one at Dicks would have worked out to $499 + a 100 store credit. If you haven't had any issues and no one else chimes in with any, I'll give them equal consideration with the 1100. Two of the reasons I want one or the other is people buy them as hunting guns, they see a box of shells a year and get put away. Good deals can be found on a gun that is not even though a break in period, and will last pretty much forever.

Yeah, my goal was two fold: I wanted a decent gun to shoot quick doubles without breaking the bank or my shoulder, and a gun I could use if I later decided to get into hunting. So far, part 1 has worked out fine.

I tried my hand at hunting maybe 5 years ago. My first trip was with a Milsurp M39 Mosin up in Vt. After hours of lugging that beast through the woods, I spent $200 on a Rem 870 youth 20 ga. Nice and compact, and deadly accurate with rifled slugs out to 100 yards. After 2-3 years of going with my friend and his father, I gave up. I never saw anything more than tracks in the woods. [laugh] If I want to be cold, wet and annoyed I just go to work.

My first gun was an 1100, as was my second, third and fourth. I had an 1100 in every ga. I used them strictly for skeet shooting as I wasn't into hunting yet. They are a great gun and with proper cleaning, they will function great. The down fall is the 2.75" shell if you move into hunting. The ability to shoot the 3" shell dramitically improves penetration, especially with steel shot for waterfowl. The 11-87 is the identical gun in my opinion. It has the same parts, rings, ect.. as the 1100 and it takes 3" shells. The major difference is the gas compensator in the 1187 that expells gas to absorb the recoil of the 3" load and it doesnt have the rubber O ring that is in the 1100. As far as reliability, I think the 1100 is more reliable, the 1187 has mixed reviews, some good, some not so much. If you are leaning toward an 1187, I would highly recommend looking at a used Winchester Super x2. It is comparatively priced, super reliable, and shoots so soft. They are also way easier to clean and break down than the remingtons. If you could shoot an 1187 and a SX2, you"ll see what I mean. Good luck

go to any club that shoots skeet. look on the boards for 1100s for sale. I always seem to see some good deals.
For the most part if your only going to shoot for fun (1 guage) and not compete a good deal can be found at skeet ranges. You will find shooters selling off their 1100s and buying over and under sets of 4 guages. I only know of one shooter that has a 1100 in all 4 guages and competes.
I feel the 11-87 is more of a broad coverage gun. I have a 11-87 been flawless even with the light target loads. It just is not ideal for trap(what I shoot)

Last edited:
Thanks guys. It will probably be used for 99% skeet, and the occasional round of trap. I know the stock wont be right, but I can fix that with a lace on cheek pad to an extent that will make me happy I think. I'm going to poke around for an 1100, but I wont write off the 11-87 as much as I had been.

I bought a 11-87 for three gun fun. I have shot a few pin shoots with it and set my personal best time on five pins two Sundays ago, 3.45 secs. I put an extension tube to hold 8 shells, and replased the gas O-ring when I bought this piece used. I have the fiels barrel for it and I found a deer barrel to shot action with. I love the things. My thoughts 11-87 = keep it clean, and you are all set!

Love my 11-87P. Has been running well for several years. I find I have to keep it clean to run well. Never drilled out the gas ports as many do. I have to run at least 3 dram 1 1/8 oz. my barrel says right on it not intended for light loads. I use it for action shooting matches.

I have an 11-87 that I really hate to say runs great. (I am knocking on wood) Only trouble I have ever had with mine was shooting sporting clays with dirty steel ammo. It really gummed it up. After cleaning and lubing again, replacing the o ring and gas ring, it was back running properly.

I am to the point I found some police Trade Ins that although used and not well cared for I may buy one as a spare.

I use Estate 3dram 1 1/8 ounce target loads and even found some low recoil slugs that run real well.

I have the 11-87 and love it. Got it about 6 months ago. Have shot probably 15 rounds of skeet and 10 rounds of trap with it. Never an issue. I use Remington Gun Club 1 1/8 oz, 2 3/4" shells.

Thanks. I decided I'll get the 11-87, simply because Ive struck out so many times looking for either of them used. If I wanted a camo slug gun, or a left hand 1100, I'd be doing good. But Dicks is having a sale soon on the 11-87 for $400, so I'll probably pick one up. I might go to the Holbrook show and take a last stab at it though.

Back in the early/mid 90's I had a Premier Trap 11-87 (30" barrel) and a Premier Skeet 11-87 (26" barrel).
They were fantastic guns and I won a CT State Junior Trap Singles title with the trap version. I cleaned them after every 250 rounds and replaced the seal rings, and springs as needed. Never had a misfire or misfeed with either of them. The trap version had about 200,000 rounds through it and about 50,000 through the skeet version and they just kept shooting. Still kicking myself that I sold them to "upgrade" to an over/under. Wish I had them back. Live and learn I guess.

+1 for the 1100

And when it comes time to replace the o-ring, go to mcmaster.com, Viton® Fluoroelastomer O-Ring AS568A Dash Number 021 (part #9464K75)

Although at 50 per order, I have plenty to give away, since I just bought a pack last week....

+1 for the 1100

And when it comes time to replace the o-ring, go to mcmaster.com, Viton® Fluoroelastomer O-Ring AS568A Dash Number 021 (part #9464K75)

Although at 50 per order, I have plenty to give away, since I just bought a pack last week....

Thanks for posting that info, as I can never seem to find it when I need it.

How much did the box of 50 run? I heard they ran about a buck a piece, and I only wanted to grab a dozen or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok, so I've decided to get into Skeet. I've shot it in the past with various guns, but I think I'd like to pick up either a Remington 1100 or 11-87. I have used 1100's in the past and liked them, but the 11-87 so far has been easier to find (either way I'll be going with a good used gun) BUT I've heard mixed reviews of the 11-87 cycling light loads. Does anyone here use the 11-87, or have any reason why one is preferred over the other for skeet?

Ive got an 1187 Sportsman i use for trap. It xycles fine with low velocity #8 sport loads. Needed about 100 rounds to break it in and been good to go since.

Back
Top Bottom