• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

11 people gunned down in New Orleans attack

How many of those 11 were shot due to the police thinking they were being fired on and responding in kind until they adjusted to the situation?

Looking for more info still, but this sounds like a normal day in NO got a little more giggidy due to the extra presence.

New Orleans violence has been heating up, and with a reported average of 1 in 7 adults having a warrant out for their arrest, 56,000 in total, city leaders are looking for answers to solving their crime problems.

56k reasons not to go there

First city that I was handed a "Where not to go map" when I checked into the downtown Hilton hotel. The elderly black door man told me to "take the map seriously".

NOPD revised the number down to 10 wounded. At this time, 2 are in critical condition.

New Orleans violence has been heating up, and with a reported average of 1 in 7 adults having a warrant out for their arrest, 56,000 in total, city leaders are looking for answers to solving their crime problems.

You can get an arrest warrant issued on you for a whole lot of stuff, a lot of which has absolutely nothing to do with being a violent criminal or even a criminal. I bet a lot of those warrants are for "failure to appear" on things like traffic summonses, or even parking tickets. This is especially common among poorer people who tend to move around a lot, and where things like legal notices don't tend to follow frequent changes of address.

I knew a guy who got one issued on him for failing to pay a $35-ish ticket for expired tags while driving his brother's car. His brother had promised to pay the ticket since it was his brother's car and, well, you know how that works. Two years later $FRIEND was in the back of a patrol car in handcuffs over that unpaid $35 ticket.

Yes, but...

"94 percent of those were for misdemeanor offenses such as public intoxication and fishing without a license."

Frank
I still can't imagine living there. We partially define ourselves by who we choose to be around. In my social/acquaintance/work circle, I'm aware of zero people with arrest warrents. I plan to keep it that way. I can't imagine living where 1 in 7 have at least 1.

I still can't imagine living there. We partially define ourselves by who we choose to be around. In my social/acquaintance/work circle, I'm aware of zero people with arrest warrents. I plan to keep it that way. I can't imagine living where 1 in 7 have at least 1.
In certain jurisdictions, many people have zero idea that they have warrants. It's ridiculously easy to have a warrant with no clue.

You can get an arrest warrant issued on you for a whole lot of stuff, a lot of which has absolutely nothing to do with being a violent criminal or even a criminal. I bet a lot of those warrants are for "failure to appear" on things like traffic summonses, or even parking tickets. This is especially common among poorer people who tend to move around a lot, and where things like legal notices don't tend to follow frequent changes of address.

I knew a guy who got one issued on him for failing to pay a $35-ish ticket for expired tags while driving his brother's car. His brother had promised to pay the ticket since it was his brother's car and, well, you know how that works. Two years later $FRIEND was in the back of a patrol car in handcuffs over that unpaid $35 ticket.

Yes, especially a lot of southern states do retarded shit like that, instead of latching it onto your DL renewal or whatever, they put a warrant out for you for a parking ticket or something
stupid like that. Friend of mine actually had problems renewing his FL CCW because some revenue rhetoric town in FL had a warrant out on him for an unpaid ticket. So he cleared it up
remotely and fixed it, but still retarded.

-Mike

Yes, especially a lot of southern states do retarded shit like that, instead of latching it onto your DL renewal or whatever, they put a warrant out for you for a parking ticket or something stupid like that. Friend of mine actually had problems renewing his FL CCW because some revenue rhetoric town in FL had a warrant out on him for an unpaid ticket. So he cleared it up remotely and fixed it, but still retarded.

Yeah, in the jurisdiction where this happened, "expired tags" was a $35 fine (late '80s money) and no points, not even a moving violation technically speaking. For that they hauled this dangerous desperado off to the hoosegow and I had to go bail him out at 3:00am.

Bringing this back around on topic, having a warrant like that out on you would (technically) make you a "fugitive from justice" and thus a PP, methinks, no?

Back
Top Bottom