10 weeks and waiting for my LTC.....

Just checking in. Finished my NRA safety couse in early July. Call the Norwell PD, can't get an appointment to submit my Class A LTC until August 25th, which goes just fine. I'm told "We'll call you when it comes in". 10 weeks pass. Email the firearms officers last week. No response. Leave a voice mail after Obama gets elected, no response. Now I'm looking at the calendar, trying to figure out the number of weeks till inauguration!

Started the process in the summer, and I'm tired of watching classified items that I'm interested in come an go! Last minute work kept me from making the Braintree rifle and pistol club orientation on Sunday, so now I have to wait until January to have someplace to even shoot! I'm a patient man, but even the wife is saying "when is this thing ever going to happen"? Just venting, thanks for your time:) Blackrain.

my ltc took almost 12 weeks to get but my machine gun lic. came almost 6 weeks to the day. Its really just dumb luck if you ask me. You should get it any day now. I feel your anxiety i was the same way

Have you tried calling the FRB to see when - or even IF - Norwell submitted your application?

Note that you MAY not get an answer if you call there. Then again, you may.

In my experience, the delay is seldom with the state and the more protracted the delay, the more likely it is to be your town that is responsible.

Keep calling or go down, but be apologetic too. It's always a challenge, you want to bug them enough so that get it, but if you piss them off too much, they will tell you to go F' yourself.

Did you pay in cash or check for the application fee? Sometimes the local PD sits on the forms for a few weeks before sending them in, but if you can see when they cashed the check it could help in figuring out when it was actually processed.

At my local PD I could just talk to the clerk for status instead of having to talk to the firearms officer. Every town does it a wee bit differently it seems, but you might just try calling the non-emergency number and seeing if whoever picks up the phone can update you on your status. Good luck!

From the reading of the MGL, "The licensing authority shall, within 40 days from the date of application, either approve the application and issue the license or deny the application and notify the applicant of the reason for such denial in writing"

I am guessing that would give you standing to file suit if you choose to. I suggest contacting your local NRA rep and asking his opinion on what this language means and what challenging the Norwell CLEO under these circumstances might accomplish.

From the reading of the MGL, "The licensing authority shall, within 40 days from the date of application, either approve the application and issue the license or deny the application and notify the applicant of the reason for such denial in writing"

I am guessing that would give you standing to file suit if you choose to.

Good luck with that...

Thanks for all the input guys. I will call the NPD front desk today, see if I get anywhere. I'll hold off on the legal action for now :) I will have my wife review the checks, and see if/when that $100 check got cashed, good idea. Thanks again all!

I am guessing that would give you standing to file suit if you choose to.

There is no guessing required. The time period is set by statute, as is the appeals procedure. "Standing" is not a matter of conjecture in such cases.

There is no guessing required. The time period is set by statute, as is the appeals procedure. "Standing" is not a matter of conjecture in such cases.

The question becomes: What can actually be gained by filing said appeal? If the aggrieved party gets a license in the mail in the interim, does that make the appeal irrelevant?

This is the reason I suggest calling the local NRA rep, or for that matter anyone that can advise on what the value of filing such an appeal can be. Is there any repercussion, meaningful or not, for the police department violating the statute?

Another guess, but I would think that nothing meaningful would result. I could not any information on previously filed appeals in the cursory search I did @ http://www.lawlib.state.ma.us/guns.html

I'm sort of in the same boat.

I dropped off my application with safety course cert. on 9/11/08. I have not even been called back yet to go for the interview.

And I'm in a green town in metrowest.

DougT

To prevent future laziness and or abuse.

IMO, if there are no repercussions to the PD, and the plaintiff gets nothing more than the downgraded license the CLEO would have eventually granted anyways, then the only think the local PD got out of the court appearance was overtime.

Let's also not forget that the local courts are typically inclined not to rock the boat with the local chiefs over what they consider to be mundane issues. It's an important issue to you and I, but to them it's a clerical error.

I'm sort of in the same boat.

I dropped off my application with safety course cert. on 9/11/08. I have not even been called back yet to go for the interview.

And I'm in a green town in metrowest.

DougT

You may treat your application as denied and file accordingly.

IF you wish to push the issue.

Over the span of the 8 weeks, I've actually (very politely) emailed (no response), left a voice mail (no response), and stopped at the station (Sgt wasn't in and the dispatcher said they were just really busy and they will eventually call me).

I guess its just not a priority to them.

And I don't think I want to push the issue. I've lived in this small town for 15 years and don't plan on moving for a while.

DougT

Wife found the cancelled check; written 8/25, cashed 11/07......yup, 3 days ago. Even though the wheels are moving pretty damn slow, this gives me some hope that they are actually moving :)

my check wasn't cashed until close to 100 days after my app was submitted. Several weeks after I got my permit.

So its not usually some thing gauge off.

LTC finally came through today! Woohoo! Now I can stop bitching about the wait, and start bitching about the cost of ammo like everybody else! Time to start filling my gun safe :) Thanks all!

Last minute work kept me from making the Braintree rifle and pistol club orientation on Sunday, so now I have to wait until January to have someplace to even shoot! Blackrain.

I see you live Boston South, American Firearms School (N. Attleboro, MA) is open to the public if you need a place to shoot. They also let you rent guns

I see you live Boston South, American Firearms School (N. Attleboro, MA) is open to the public if you need a place to shoot. They also let you rent guns

Norwell is not too far from Kingston, MA. I was told that another public range has opened in that area. I will join Plymouth Rod and Gun in January, but have been to AFS a few times. AFS is a great place to start if you cannot find the place in Kingston MA.

Back
Top Bottom