> 10 round .22 pistols?

There are plenty of 9mm and other caliber, even .45's which can take greater than 10 rounds (Mass. considerations aside).

Why does it seem that there are no .22 pistols (or rifles, for that matter) with magazines which take greater than 10 rounds? Or am I just missing them? I am thinking along the lines of the Ruger MkII and Browning Buckmark type of idea.

It sure would make target shooting a lot easier if one didn't have to reload so often.

Thanks.

There are plenty of 9mm and other caliber, even .45's which can take greater than 10 rounds (Mass. considerations aside).

Why does it seem that there are no .22 pistols (or rifles, for that matter) with magazines which take greater than 10 rounds? Or am I just missing them? I am thinking along the lines of the Ruger MkII and Browning Buckmark type of idea.

It sure would make target shooting a lot easier if one didn't have to reload so often.

Thanks.

There are. I have a 30 round mag for a 10/22. (Bought before the Ban).

TBP

The one that jumps to mind is the Intratec Tec-22. This is a .22LR version of the Tec-9. They come with a 30-round mag, I think you can also get 60-round mags for them. They are ugly, unreliable, and inaccurate. I wouldn't pay $10 for one that was N.I.B.

Here's one:

tec22.jpg

For the ultimate in high capacity, there's the Calico .22 LR pistol. This one has a 100-round magazine. I've never fired one so I can't report on it. They're hard to find and very expensive when you do find 'em. Four seasons had one a couple of years ago:

calicom110c.jpg

Last edited:
When 10 rounds isn't enough... [smile]

American 180...

am180-1.jpg

275 rounds @ 1,200 - 1,500 rounds per minute.

I remember when they first came out. They had what must have been the first laser sights produced and the sight was the larger than most handguns.

If I ever have the chance/$$$$ to get involved in NFA firearms, the 180 would be my first purchase.

The one that jumps to mind is the Intratec Tec-22. This is a .22LR version of the Tec-9. They come with a 30-round mag, I think you can also get 60-round mags for them. They are ugly, unreliable, and inaccurate. I wouldn't pay $10 for one that was N.I.B.

Here's one:

tec22.jpg

For the ultimate in high capacity, there's the Calico .22 LR pistol. This one has a 100-round magazine. I've never fired one so I can't report on it. They're hard to find and very expensive when you do find 'em. Four seasons had one a couple of years ago:

calicom110c.jpg

There was one at Marlboro last week.

The biggest reason why there aren't too many high capacity
.22LR pistols is because of the fact that you can't use a normal
double stack type of magazine to feed the pistol. Typically the
cartridges must either be fed in a straight line or via a drum type
device. This means you can't use something thats high space
efficiency like a double stack magazine.

IIRC, theres also at least one company that makes an extended Walther P22
mag... problem is it hangs out the bottom of the gun, and it also doesnt lock
the slide open after the last round.

I've also seen some 10/22 actions sold as pistols in free
states. I don't think ruger sells them that way, obviously, but
some lic. manufacturer is out there making 10/22 pistols. These
would take the large cap 10/22 mags no problem.

-Mike

Thanks everyone. I was wondering if it was because the rims on the .22 cartridges don't allow for "nice" double stacking.

I wasn't looking for a high volume like those 100-180 round jobs, but 15-20 would be nice. (I was thinking if you can fit 15 9mm in a handgrip, that 20 .22's should be easily doable.)

I saw it too but didn't look. My dad has a 9mm calico back home, they are fun to shoot, and even more not fun to reload the mags.

The main problem is rim-lock,hence the reason for large capacity 10/22 mags taking that more extreme banana shape.Someone makes +3 round followers for the P22 but to me 3 rounds of .22 isn't worth commiting a felony over.Brons in Sturbridge has a Calico pistol for IIRC $800.My older brother had one and ticked me off so I removed the follower that looks somewhat like a piece of licorice and after him getting raw thumb from loading it,wouldn't fire more than 4 rounds without jamming.He'd continue on with the rest of the mag,get frustrated and call it a POS.I'd stick the piece back in,load 'er up and let fly...he's still never figured out why I can get it to work and it's been almost 10 years and I ain't tellin' now :)

The Tec22/Scorpion is horrible-I have never seen one that will feed reliably.If you want an unreliable .22 pistol,better to track down a mangy Explorer 2 with the larger mags so you won't feel as bad for wasting as much $.Collectors has had a couple of the Tec22's from time to time if you're a sadist.Granted,using the el cheapo Eagle mags in them doesn't help matter,but I've seen a few and none of them have ever worked well regardless of cleanliness or rounds used.

.22 mags

Ramline used to make cheap plastic 16 round mags for the Ruger Mk II and 30 round mags for the Ruger 10/22

Last edited:
Ramline used to make cheap plastic 16 round mags for the Ruger Mk II and 30 round mags for the Ruger 10/22

I dont know why they dont make them now that the "Ban" has been dropped?

Maybe not enough market for them.

maybe if we all E mail them and promise to buy a bunch they will drag out the old molding tools?

They still have some for sale at

http://www.ramlinestocks.com/ramstocks.html#mags

Who is this "we" you refer to? Anything new would obviously post-ban and, therefore, equally obviously illegal in Massachusetts.

Back
Top Bottom