Granby, Alderbrook and FOD are all within 2.5 hrs of Boston. Sheepdog in NY is about 4. Not too bad.

Sig does have a 1k yard range but I don't count them as it isn't public or open to membership and they don't host matches. They're irrelevant unless you're looking to attend courses.
Oh. I mentally don't count any ranges that don't hold XTC or prone matches.

Except they are not “their” matches, just held at Granby. You need not be a member to register and shoot match, and you are competing for a number of the limited match spots with non members.
sure. not hard to get a spot though.

really not possible to beat the 6BR
this is a rather pointless statement - see above the PRS standings i posted.
6BR, 6GT, 6 Dasher, then 6BRX, 6 BRA - choose whatever you like. I really like my 6.5CM rifle, it is great. but i need a rather significant supply of reloder16 for my optimal loads there and i did not see it lately, nowhere at all - and it takes 41.8gr of R16 for my load there. 166 rounds from a pound of powder.
6 dasher is usually going at 32.5gr of varget (115gr bullet), and to load 6GT or Dasher i'd use same Varget i have stocked up and need for my .223 69gr loads - and having same powder for both would simplify the deal a ton.

shooting wise, again, it is all the same. no benefit at all. even barrel use wise - 6.5cm will wear really comparable to 6 dasher or 6 gt.

Last edited:
this is a rather pointless statement - see above the PRS standings i posted.
6BR, 6GT, 6 Dasher, then 6BRX, 6 BRA - choose whatever you like. I really like my 6.5CM rifle, it is great. but i need a rather significant supply of reloder16 for my optimal loads there and i did not see it lately, nowhere at all - and it takes 41.8gr of R16 for my load there. 166 rounds from a pound of powder.
6 dasher is usually going at 32.5gr of varget, and to load 6GT or Dasher i then going to use same Varget i have stocked up and need for my .223 69gr loads - and having same powder for both would simplify the deal a ton.

shooting wise, again, it is all the same. no benefit at all. even barrel use wise - 6.5cm will wear really comparable to 6 dasher or 6 gt.
Pointless to you maybe, and maybe to the original intent of this discussion. But it's been sidetracked with talking about custom 6mm cartridges. So, my post is saying when you take everything into consideration, inside of 600 yards, you can't beat the 6BR. Agree or disagree; but if you disagree, be prepared to tell me why.

Is there ANY update on their situation?

Keep paying dues and making donations but not much status information is being shared. The last renewal has the LRO stamp removed.
they got the concrete benches back open and the resolution on the long range stuff was supposed to wrap up soon but covid was causing delays in the mass land courts.

Pointless to you maybe, and maybe to the original intent of this discussion. But it's been sidetracked with talking about custom 6mm cartridges. So, my post is saying when you take everything into consideration, inside of 600 yards, you can't beat the 6BR. Agree or disagree; but if you disagree, be prepared to tell me why.
Ill take this bet. 6br feeds like hot dog shit and is finnicky finding nodes to load to. 6gt is surpassed it.

Ill take this bet. 6br feeds like hot dog shit and is finnicky finding nodes to load to. 6gt is surpassed it.

life is way easier now. for most of 6mm calibers you can buy a good prepped brass with no need for fire-forming and trimming. one can just choose whatever the soul desires and just choot it.
it is an old chart, but still on topic more or less.
Dasher is easier to deal with, but i have read several times now its 40deg shoulder angle may cause issues, not sure for how much that is a real problem, as otherwise it would be my choice.
also an article on 6gt:

CaseCapacity105 grain115 grainSD (PRB numbers)brassnotes
6br39.528905.1Lap, Pet
6bra4029253.8Lap (fire form)
dasher41.6295028355.2Alphashorter neck than BR
gt43.52900-300028801 :)Alpha
xc50.2304929756.4Alpha, Peterson
6 creed51.9307529956.5Lap, Alp, Pet

you would be surprised to see that the number of ranges with 1000+yds around new england is actually greater than much of the entire east coast.
How many and how far and what do you have to do to get on them?
First that comes to mind is sig probably a 6hr round trip.
I know theres a few more up that way but appears you need secret hand shake.
Fun stuff , you need a lot of free tine to play 1000 yard games

How many and how far and what do you have to do to get on them?
First that comes to mind is sig probably a 6hr round trip.
I know theres a few more up that way but appears you need secret hand shake.
Fun stuff , you need a lot of free tine to play 1000 yard games
you need to join the regional prs league to get on most of em and you should have a rifle and dope that is reasonably close. They aren't going to have you shooting there if you aren't running gear that is going to get you on plates at that distance because they don't want people lobbing rounds and not knowing where they are going

you need to join the regional prs league to get on most of em and you should have a rifle and dope that is reasonably close. They aren't going to have you shooting there if you aren't running gear that is going to get you on plates at that distance because they don't want people lobbing rounds and not knowing where they are going
Any of the regional PRS matches have a gas gun division?

you need to join the regional prs league to get on most of em and you should have a rifle and dope that is reasonably close.
i am drooling at that new MPA BA PMR Pro Rifle II now for 6 months or so, but cannot justify spending that much. i really like the chassis, but - damn. pricey.
eye candy. :)
1644092453677.png

A couple years ago Granby did a beginners PRS event that I attended. It was a lot of fun and I learned a lot. They should do that again as it got a lot of shooters on the course and introduces the sport. There were some serious rifles and scope setups at that shoot

tell you what? beat how? by what criterias?
i already told you - it is a pointless statement.
Okey Dokey then.

It feeds like dog shit? That's news to everybody who uses it with no problem in rapid fire strings and audio eat everybody's lunch at 600 yards with it.

Finicky to load for? Its the EASIEST cartridge to load for, with the possible exception of 308 and 223.

I know at least 2 World-class HP shooters in MA who have the money, know-how, and choice of gunsmith who have their choice of calibers they can use; and they use 6BR (in Tubb guns and Tube guns). Their reasoning: "you can't beat it inside of 600 yards".
Others may use 6XC, but that's only because they're using it at 1000 too.

I have one and it absolutely hammers.

But what do I know.

Okey Dokey then.

It feeds like dog shit? That's news to everybody who uses it with no problem in rapid fire strings and audio eat everybody's lunch at 600 yards with it.

Finicky to load for? Its the EASIEST cartridge to load for, with the possible exception of 308 and 223.

I know at least 2 World-class HP shooters in MA who have the money, know-how, and choice of gunsmith who have their choice of calibers they can use; and they use 6BR (in Tubb guns and Tube guns). Their reasoning: "you can't beat it inside of 600 yards".
Others may use 6XC, but that's only because they're using it at 1000 too.

I have one and it absolutely hammers.

But what do I know.
All the AICS mags require you to mess with feed lips, run spacers, modify followers, etc.... then because its a push feed it can jump up when feeding fast and miss the chamber causing you to run the projectile into the back edge of the barrel which can only be resolved with slow feeding or a CRF bolt. 6BR has massively fallen out of favor on the PRS side and been replaced with BRA, BRX, Dashers when given the opportunity to stick with the same case. GT does all of that but feeds better and is easier to do load development. F class dudes are still into it because f class dudes are old and weird and don't like new things lmao.

Well. I plan to build a 6BR rifle, but I have heard it takes a little effort to get them to feed.

Honestly, I think 243 would be hard to beat for 300 yards or less.

And to be extra side tracked... buy @Mudflap621 's Tikka 223 that he posted in the classifieds, that would be a great 200 yards or less rifle.

Sorry I’m late didn’t know this was a 6BRA thread. She runs beautiful with AW mags too.😉 9506434C-CD7D-4C62-8FB9-C339D2B88EC2.jpeg

Thanks for the press LuvDog, I’ll regret it. The Tikka is a hammer and she’ll go well beyond 2 hundo. I shot it in our local matches last year out to 450 very successfully.

Ok so I'm looking at two guns both Rem 700's in the same model. One in 6.5 creedmoor and one in 308 win. I wanted a bolt gun with a heavy barrel for just plinking at my club and learning to shoot at longer ranges. Normally I'd just buy the 308 because it seems 6.5 is hard to find now but I have heard so many say the 6.5 is the way of the future. Oh and the 6.5 is $499 while the 308 is $849. FOR GOD'S SAKE HOW DO I CHOOSE?
I got to shoot a pair of Rugers in .308 and 6.5 with the same scope side by side.

Honestly, I'd pick the 6.5 unless I had a pile of .308 behind me.

Also, I'd pick .308 if I had a ton of other .308s.

Ballistics are wonderful with 6.5 creed, but 308 is nothing to be ashamed about.

Sorry I’m late didn’t know this was a 6BRA thread. She runs beautiful with AW mags too.😉View attachment 573298

Thanks for the press LuvDog, I’ll regret it. The Tikka is a hammer and she’ll go well beyond 2 hundo. I shot it in our local matches last year out to 450 very successfully.
Want to come by and organize my shop? Very nice.

I see all ignored my post on MPA BA PMR Pro Rifle II - no love for MPA? :)

I have several MPA chassis

Honestly I hadn’t looked at it because I just assumed it would be stupidly priced, but it’s actually not a bad price. It would cost you just as much and possibly more to source those parts yourself.

Sorry I’m late didn’t know this was a 6BRA thread. She runs beautiful with AW mags too.😉View attachment 573298

How do you like the Fusion action? How does it compare with other custom actions?

How do you like the Fusion action? How does it compare with other custom actions?
So far I love it. I can only compare it to the Origin and TL3 and although they are nice the LP wins hands down IMO. It’s smoother and way harder to bind up than the Bighorns.

My buddy should have an Impact here shortly I’m eager to play with it as I was stuck between the Impact,LP, and Terminus.

I would vote for the .308. Sometimes cartridges become like fashion statements. They come and go.... .40 was the bee's knees for a while and you were a fool if you didn't own at least a few. Now it's considered junk.. How about the 300 blackout... Is that even still around for anything other than full-on assRape prices with scarce availability? Cartridges come and go... But some will be timeless... The .308 is one of those IMHO.... Along with the 30-30 and 30-06, 5.56/223.... Can't go wrong brotato...

I have several MPA chassis

Honestly I hadn’t looked at it because I just assumed it would be stupidly priced, but it’s actually not a bad price. It would cost you just as much and possibly more to source those parts yourself.
I keep reading about actions but cannot find much info if current batch of Curtis axiom the mpa puts there is with any issues or not. Like in link below some folks do not seem to like Curtis much.

From other perspective it is a production prs class ready rig, and probably well above my current skill level. Hmm

I keep reading about actions but cannot find much info if current batch of Curtis axiom the mpa puts there is with any issues or not. Like in link below some folks do not seem to like Curtis much.

From other perspective it is a production prs class ready rig, and probably well above my current skill level. Hmm

Bighorn origin and proof prefit than stock/chassis of your choice is hard to beat for the money. Front Range Precision will cut you a great deal on the stuff.

My father has ordered three Bighorn actions from him and a few barrels as well and his Proof 6.5 prefit is shooting one hole groups and we haven’t even done any load workup on it.

Back
Top Bottom