Well if you want that 6.5 it's at Bass pro in Hooksett nh. The BP website said it was available. https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/remington-model-700-adl-varmint-bolt-action-rifle
I'm in MA, that would be a long drive... EDIT: I just looked up the laws and from what I saw it's OK to buy a long gun and bring it back to MA as long as it is OK to own it in MA...

It would be cheaper for me to buy it online and have it transferred here or just buy one here...

Thanks for letting me know though...

I was skimming through the posts; didn't you already buy the 308???
If you did just buy a 6.5 barrel and you'll be all set that way...

Last edited:
Why settle for a 6.5 CM or a .308 when you can get the .17 Incinerator Improved?

22LR and a good bolt action. One of the heavy barrel Savage MkII's usually shoot, CZ455, Tikka T1X, Bergara B-14R - whatever your budget covers. And a good scope. And legit target ammo. Then start shooting it from 100-200 yards. You'll learn more about distance shooting from that because you can shoot it a lot, and longer ranges for 22LR start at 100, not the 4-5-600 the other two deserve. Then shoot that little rifle a lot. Shoot it at a train set, if you like.

Yes! I picked up a Savage MKII FVSR from a place in The Mill a few weeks ago for $225. I tried a few types of ammo at 50 yards in the frigid cold last weekend, and all but the cheapest were grouping less than 1". Some Eley Club was well under 1". As much as I like to shoot at 300-400 yards, I just know this little rifle will be seeing much more rangetime than my centerfires, and it will cost significantly less to have a day of fun, even shooting the more expensive .22 ammo. (And that's all relative! "Expensive" .22 is still less than even the cheapest .223!)

One thing to consider for long range shooting is the real need for a spotter, especially when shooting 6.5 or .308. It's even tough to spot your shots with .223 when the scope moves under recoil. With a .22 this isn't a problem.

IMG_2326.jpg

Why settle for a 6.5 CM or a .308 when you can get the .17 Incinerator Improved?

Crazy how inefficient that round is, I'm getting close to 3300 fps with my little .17 WSM and that monstrosity is 5883 fps.

This is a very old cartridge. New, Improved version is away better. I have a .17 Incinerator Improved rifle(see the article). Using a 12" barrel, it shoots 0.1-0.2 MOA. Used to be less but the barrel has had 4000 rounds through it already. I use it to hunt moose at 3 miles. At 4 miles, it becomes somewhat difficult to maintain the energy needed for an instant kill. I have shot it out to 7 miles just for fun.

This is a very old cartridge. New, Improved version is away better. I have a .17 Incinerator Improved rifle(see the article). Using a 12" barrel, it shoots 0.1-0.2 MOA. Used to be less but the barrel has had 4000 rounds through it already. I use it to hunt moose at 3 miles. At 4 miles, it becomes somewhat difficult to maintain the energy needed for an instant kill. I have shot it out to 7 miles just for fun.
Well played.

I'm pretty sure you can just buy it and take it home that day. Correct me if I'm wrong but long guns can be purchased out of state as long as it's legal in the state you reside.
Yup I just looked it up and from what I can see it's OK to bring home on the same day as long as it's a long gun that is OK to own in MA...

Yup I just looked it up and from what I can see it's OK to bring home on the same day as long as it's a long gun that is OK to own in MA...
Yes. Then register it on the gun portal within 7 days. Well, if you care about that stuff…

you really do need to reload to get the most out of 6.5...
The best 5 round group ive ever shot was with factory hornady 140 eldm. .07" center to center. I made the guys I was at the range with sign off on the damn target. Plenty run hornady ammo and shoot prs all year long well under half moa.

The best 5 round group ive ever shot was with factory hornady 140 eldm. .07" center to center. I made the guys I was at the range with sign off on the damn target. Plenty run hornady ammo and shoot prs all year long well under half moa.
That was my experience as well. I got .6 MOA out of a 20” AR 10 (BA premium series fluted barrel) with ELD 140 and .7 with SIG match 140. American gunner 140 and Sellier&Bellot 140 keep me at around 1.1-1.3 MOA with an occasional MOA group. As long as I can get close to half minute out of a factory load, I’m good.

That was my experience as well. I got .6 MOA out of a 20” AR 10 (BA premium series fluted barrel) with ELD 140 and .7 with SIG match 140. American gunner 140 and Sellier&Bellot 140 keep me at around 1.1-1.3 MOA with an occasional MOA group. As long as I can get close to half minute out of a factory load, I’m good.
Damn, you got .6 out of that barrel I sold you with off the shelf ammo?

Essentially same results with the AR-6.5 I built with a BA premium series. Non fluted, but same where it matters. Varget + Nosler RDF 140's reloads and Winchester factory 140 match will get ~6. MOA or better without really trying.

I thought it had mentioned a quick change caliber feature, which may mean proprietary tweaks beyond a routine tenon thread. I just don't think it will catch on enough in the custom/semi-custom market for reputable barrel makers to start churning out prefits. I could be wrong, but the centerfire Tikkas are hard to beat for the money.

Well. Guess these pictures tell the story

0783E7BE-4FF3-4565-A28D-C21D6C9509DC.png 5E50CB0B-79B7-42DF-892F-83022621CD03.png

Ok so I'm looking at two guns both Rem 700's in the same model. One in 6.5 creedmoor and one in 308 win. I wanted a bolt gun with a heavy barrel for just plinking at my club and learning to shoot at longer ranges. Normally I'd just buy the 308 because it seems 6.5 is hard to find now but I have heard so many say the 6.5 is the way of the future. Oh and the 6.5 is $499 while the 308 is $849. FOR GOD'S SAKE HOW DO I CHOOSE?
so, i would not buy either, but, among those guns - .308.

good 6.5CM rifle costs much more. and considering cost of 6.5CM ammo there is 0 reason to buy a semi-accurate 6.5CM bolt gun. just for the sake of shooting the caliber you can always get a 6.5CM upper for your AR10. and if you do NOT have a .308 AR10 somehow - then that is what you need to buy or build instead of the bolt .308.

so, the 20" 6.5CM upper i have shoots 1MOA-3/4MOA groups that is to my taste is perfectly adequate for its price. it is not in the same realm with a 24" bergara, but, it is just fine considering the cost.

Last edited:
Exactly! And to the OP, if you see 168gr on the CMP site HANDS OFF! That's mine. [wink]
i posted in the classifieds couple of packs of 6.5CM from CMP - but no one wants that. :) i guess folks still hope to see CMP selling it at 70cpr.
good luck with that. :)

realistically, there is 0 reason to even begin now with any of those precision calibers - 6.5CM, 6CM, 6 Dasher, 6 BR, 6 BRX if you do not have your own reloading setup. CMP 6.5CM is probably OK for hunting, but it is nowhere close to what i get from my own reloads accuracy wise.
and the price of match grade 6.5CM loads now is unrealistic. S&B mainstream goes for $2 per round, a better quality stuff is closer to $4pr.

I had also several packs of CMP 168gr .308 and it was not very good, close to 1.5MOA or 2. But it could have been my rifle`s specifics.

Last edited:
I cant be the only one still getting range time. mapping cold bore behavior and load data in cold temps eh?....at least snow shoes arent needed to get to the berm/targets yet
My dad would have dragged our asses out on cold shitty days to see how the rifles shot in cold shitty weather.

i posted in the classifieds couple of packs of 6.5CM from CMP - but no one wants that. :) i guess folks still hope to see CMP selling it at 70cpr.
good luck with that. :)

realistically, there is 0 reason to even begin now with any of those precision calibers - 6.5CM, 6CM, 6 Dasher, 6 BR, 6 BRX if you do not have your own reloading setup. CMP 6.5CM is probably OK for hunting, but it is nowhere close to what i get from my own reloads accuracy wise.
and the price of match grade 6.5CM loads now is unrealistic. S&B mainstream goes for $2 per round, a better quality stuff is closer to $4pr.

I had also several packs of CMP 168gr .308 and it was not very good, close to 1.5MOA or 2. But it could have been my rifle`s specifics.
Cmp/creedmoor offerings you need to get the Lapua components stuff.
Vs the “remanufactured” stuff.
I cant speak for 6.5 but the Creedmoor 308 167 gn ammo will definitely out shoot the 155/168 gn offerings out of my M1a and 308 M1
The 167 stuff also shoots very well out of my 98k 308 : a waste with those crappy mauser sights but still had to try it.

Back
Top Bottom