Bighorn origin and proof prefit than stock/chassis of your choice is hard to beat for the money. Front Range Precision will cut you a great deal on the stuff.

My father has ordered three Bighorn actions from him and a few barrels as well and his Proof 6.5 prefit is shooting one hole groups and we haven’t even done any load workup on it.

I talked my wife in to getting me the Origin as a Christmas gift. Now I need to figure out what caliber I want to build and then think about my barrel. I've already got a TT Diamond ready to go and an MPA chassis.

I talked my wife in to getting me the Origin as a Christmas gift. Now I need to figure out what caliber I want to build and then think about my barrel. I've already got a TT Diamond ready to go and an MPA chassis.
Nice wife I got socks…🙄

The Origin is a great action and really like the features. I think it’s hard to beat the Proof prefits they can be had under 500 and will screw right on and all the ones I’ve seen are hammers. Only downside is if you wanted some obscure or wildcat. I believe they make 6.5 creed, 6 creed, 6 dasher, and 223 in their comp contour. If going dasher I’d go Alpha OCD brass therefore no fireforming.

I keep reading about actions but cannot find much info if current batch of Curtis axiom the mpa puts there is with any issues or not. Like in link below some folks do not seem to like Curtis much.

From other perspective it is a production prs class ready rig, and probably well above my current skill level. Hmm

I wouldn't worry about your skill level. That's something that will constantly improve no matter who you are. I would worry about time. I have met many of people that get caught up in the moment, spend thousands on equipment and gear, and then never have time to shoot. If you have the time, and like driving, buy it.

I think their barreled action kits run around $2600 without a chassis. And I did not see there neither 6 dasher nor 6GT. Gotta think.

spend thousands on equipment and gear, and then never have time to shoot
Yeah, sure it is me as well. Time is an issue, as much as I would want to do prs I just know I cannot commit to anything with a fixed schedule. But I at least can get to 300yds at Harvard to play from time to time.
All that got me back thinking that I cannot get another $5k spent on this instead of college fund for my oldest. Time sucks.

Yeah, sure it is me as well. Time is an issue, as much as I would want to do prs I just know I cannot commit to anything with a fixed schedule. But I at least can get to 300yds at Harvard to play from time to time.
All that got me back thinking that I cannot get another $5k spent on this instead of college fund for my oldest. Time sucks.
Sounds like that Tikka Varmint in the classifieds would be perfect for you haha. Don't think u need some 5k gun to go play this game. A factory heavy barrel Bergara or Tikka will get you by just fine to try the sport and bang some steal and have fun.

Sounds like that Tikka Varmint in the classifieds would be perfect for you haha. Don't think u need some 5k gun to go play this game. A factory heavy barrel Bergara or Tikka will get you by just fine to try the sport and bang some steal and have fun.
I have a bergara premier lrp2 in 6.5cm that is perfect- hence a meme of flying dicks above. :)
Just wanted to get something in 6mm as well.

My favorite rifle I got through a group buy on sh. Trued 700 action, put together by someone better than me. Shoots fantastic. Well under $2500.

I have a bergara premier lrp2 in 6.5cm that is perfect- hence a meme of flying dicks above. :)
Just wanted to get something in 6mm as well.
If your not going to be shooting past 600 yards there's no reason to even mess with the 6mm unless you like spending money. Ill be building another gun most likely 223 to mimic the comp gun just for practice and local matches. Only reason for moving the Tikka is I want to standardize all my actions as its easier for me. 6mm is cool don't get me wrong I get a lil chub every time I shoot it but the problem is with its popularity finding components is a PIA and expensive. I can feed the 223 with quality components for 1/2 the price, double if not triple the barrel life, and it really doesn't sacrifice much to the sexy sixes inside 600 yards.

My favorite rifle I got through a group buy on sh. Trued 700 action, put together by someone better than me. Shoots fantastic. Well under $2500.
If you had a spare 700 laying around yeah maybe but to buy an action send it out to get trued and blueprinted and barreled your better off buying an Origin hands down.

I had to search to find what I paid for my lrp2 before Covid - was $1860 new. Well worth it.
With leather pants or without. :)

Last edited:
If your not going to be shooting past 600 yards there's no reason to even mess with the 6mm unless you like spending money. Ill be building another gun most likely 223 to mimic the comp gun just for practice and local matches. Only reason for moving the Tikka is I want to standardize all my actions as its easier for me. 6mm is cool don't get me wrong I get a lil chub every time I shoot it but the problem is with its popularity finding components is a PIA and expensive. I can feed the 223 with quality components for 1/2 the price, double if not triple the barrel life, and it really doesn't sacrifice much to the sexy sixes inside 600 yards.
I want a bolt gun for .223 but want something generic there, not too expensive. I was thinking to try new CZ 600 series - a range one, probably. The gas .223 I have shoots very well also, so it is on a back burner, I want to see more reviews of it first.

If you had a spare 700 laying around yeah maybe but to buy an action send it out to get trued and blueprinted and barreled your better off buying an Origin hands down.
This was an action done up, with a bartlein barrel and some other accessories. I think it worked out to about $1600. I couldn't stop with the a la cart mods.

I want a bolt gun for .223 but want something generic there, not too expensive. I was thinking to try new CZ 600 series - a range one, probably. The gas .223 I have shoots very well also, so it is on a back burner, I want to see more reviews of it first.
We need a range day with Bergaras and Larues and a good time

We need a range day with Bergaras and Larues and a good time
I get to Harvard at weird times- usually on Wednesday or Thursday mornings, when work schedule allows.
So, sure, by all means. Dunno what next week will be like - so far both Wednesday and Thursday look decent, if it will not be windy I got now 150 of both 6.5 and 308 prepped for testing, and 300 .223. :)

I get to Harvard at weird times- usually on Wednesday or Thursday mornings, when work schedule allows.
So, sure, by all means. Dunno what next week will be like - so far both Wednesday and Thursday look decent, if it will not be windy I got now 150 of both 6.5 and 308 prepped for testing, and 300 .223. :)
I haven't actually made it to Harvard yet, I need to figure out job stuff and if I'm moving to Maine before I decide if Its worth joining. Probably is worth it either way

So far I love it. I can only compare it to the Origin and TL3 and although they are nice the LP wins hands down IMO. It’s smoother and way harder to bind up than the Bighorns.

My buddy should have an Impact here shortly I’m eager to play with it as I was stuck between the Impact,LP, and Terminus.
nice
I would consider those 3 the top 3 choices also, not that Kelblys is any slouch.
Enjoy it

Last edited:
Apropos of nothing, have you ever noticed that a .22 LR at 200 yards looks similar to a 6.5 Creedmoor at 500 yards with regard to wind drift? If you want to practice reading the wind on a short (200 yard) range, you could do a lot worse than using a good .22 LR. (And if you zero your .22 at 50 rather than 100 yards the drop won’t be that far off either.)

Load Number710Caliber22 LR
Bullet StyleCopper Plated Round NoseBullet Weight (grains)40 grs
G1 Ballistic Coefficient.139Muzzle Velocity1,240 fps
Sight Height1.5 inZero Range100 yd
Temperature59 °FWind Speed10 mph
Altitude0 feetMax Range300 yd

RANGE (YD)DROP (IN)WIND DRIFT (IN)VELOCITY (FPS)ENERGY (FT-LB)
0-1.50.01240137
200-32.018.489070

Load NumberGM65CRD1Caliber6.5 Creedmoor
Bullet StyleSierra MatchKing Boat-Tail Hollow PointBullet Weight (grains)140 grs
G1 Ballistic Coefficient.535Muzzle Velocity2,675 fps
Sight Height1.5 inZero Range200 yd
Temperature59 °FWind Speed10 mph
Altitude0 feetMax Range1,000 yd

RANGE (YD)DROP (IN)WIND DRIFT (IN)VELOCITY (FPS)ENERGY (FT-LB)
0-1.50.026752224
200-0.02.623501716
500-47.518.119051128

Back
Top Bottom