Ok so I'm looking at two guns both Rem 700's in the same model. One in 6.5 creedmoor and one in 308 win. I wanted a bolt gun with a heavy barrel for just plinking at my club and learning to shoot at longer ranges. Normally I'd just buy the 308 because it seems 6.5 is hard to find now but I have heard so many say the 6.5 is the way of the future. Oh and the 6.5 is $499 while the 308 is $849. FOR GOD'S SAKE HOW DO I CHOOSE?
You can buy .308 ammunition at just about any establishment that sells firearms, from Bass Pro to a mom-and-pop convenience store out in the boonies. Surplus 7.62 NATO can also be used for inexpensive practice. Bullet weights vary from 110 grains to 180 grains. It offers choices that you won't find in 6.5 CM.

If you're only shooting out to 300yds, stick to .223 and save money. Tikka T3x Varmint in .223 would suit your needs perfectly, and you'd be getting a slick, quality action with ALMOST as much aftermarket support as the R700. You'll also have the option to rebarrel with a shouldered or barrel nut prefit down the road (save you gunsmith fees and learn a few things in the process).

Last edited:
Ok ....I have to give my two cents. Why not a 30-06? Gun shows have a lot of beautiful rifles chambered in 30-06. Think about versatility of the FUDD 30-06. I have shot paper patched #1 buckshot up to 220 grain Woodleighs out of mine. It will harvest any and all game found in the lower 48 states and yes it will take down a Brownie in Alaska. It is the round you will find in a Mom and Pop store when you have an "OH shit" moment when your bullets didn't arrive with your gun. I still see the 30-06 on a 1000 yd range with "older shooters". Try to find a 60's-70's Remington 700 with a Walker Trigger ( best trigger ever!!!!). This gun will serve you well.
Also getting on the bandwagon for a 6.5 Creedmoor you will have to dye your hair blue, sport a man bun. wear sandals everywhere and be gay curious.

Why the F would anyone want a 700 especially modern production one. No thanks. The 6.5CM model for $500 is concerning that it may be someone dumping a problem child.

inside ~600 yards the 6.5Cm offers almost no benefit over .308. Less recoil that’s about it. One must push the cartridge at least past 600 to really start seeing a difference.
That totally depends on the barrel lengths and what MOP you care about.

Given 143gr ELD-X in a 6.5 vs 178gr ELD-x in a 308, a 16” 6.5 CM will start to outperform a 20” 308 in wind bucking as close as 300 yards.

But if you’re less concerned with hit probability and wind resistance, and more concerned about energy, then 308 is the way to go. … or wait for 8.6blk, or the new 6.8 military cartridge.
But why ? Did they do it cause its the new cool thing to do? Are they poking at deer and hogs at long range.
Yup. I’m all for a 6.5 CM. But it makes little sense to change up for deer or hogs if you already have a 308.

I also thought about 223 but I'm getting an SPRish upper for that. It seems like the 308 would be the way to go simply for the ammo availability. I'm not a handloader and didn't plan on getting into it.

But why ? Did they do it cause its the new cool thing to do? Are they poking at deer and hogs at long range.
Probably the same reason the guys in the trap at our club change guns. One guy buys it...now they all need to, cause to be in the "in crowd"

In the end, they all wanted a new gun...they just needed to justify it somehow in their feeble minds.

I have both .308 and 6.5. I hunt with the .308 and the 6.5 is built up with an aftermarket stock as a long range rifle. I very rarely shoot long range tho.
The 6.5 does have less felt recoil.

Is it? I'm holding off on 6.5-everything whatever until the military selects its next round. Uneducated guess is that whatever THAT round is, suddenly every rifle will be available in that caliber, and ammo availability will drift in that direction. Sure 6.5-CM is the future... until it isn't.
Lol not sure if serious. 308 and 6.5 Kardashian both aren't going anywhere anytime soon, regardless of whatever cartridge "duh millutary" has a half-fake, non commital selection/trial for. You really want to wait potentially 10-20 years to buy a gun? [rofl]

I never understood this logic, although i agree it has an influence on the industry.

Both calibers are fine and have a place. When getting into match grade ammo both will be expensive and hard to fine at the moment. It’s unlikely you will be shooting at distance where 6.5 will be beneficial. (Buy a .223 bolt gun!)

Reloading is always best

Be careful with a 700, there are better guns for the money.

I’m just playing. 308 does have solidly fudd vibes though. It’s not the round but the defenders of the round. They often end up making fudd examples of why it’s not fudd.
LOL, Mountain said "Wut?" I don't even know anyone with a hunting rifle in .308. We are all paper punch gamers and/or Tactical Tommy.

Seriously, I think 6.5CM is picking up a lot of fudd appeal out west. If I were to go on an antelope, bighorn, or mountain goat hunt that's exactly what I'd use.
images

Is it? I'm holding off on 6.5-everything whatever until the military selects its next round. Uneducated guess is that whatever THAT round is, suddenly every rifle will be available in that caliber, and ammo availability will drift in that direction. Sure 6.5-CM is the future... until it isn't.
Two of the three NGSW finalists use composite ammo, and the 3rd (Sig) uses a hybrid round. While Sig is offering a brass cased "match" round in .277 Fury for $34 per box of 20, don't expect a lot of inexpensive Mil surplus ammo to make it to the civilian market. Sig's asking $4/round for their "Elite Bonded Polymer Tipped" round.

The NGSW seems to be yet another "money is no object" project designed to enrich defense contractors. The result may or may not be a fine military weapon (at an initial cost of $9,000 per rifle), but I think you're going to need fairly deep pockets even for the civilian versions.

Surprised no one has asked if you have a man bun or not.
Seriously the new 8.6 Blk is the new sexy

View: https://youtu.be/RVchYB2vOjg

Kinda like it, but between 300 BLK and 458 SOCOM I don't think it has enough advantages. Ridiculous amount of choices for 30 cal projectiles for the 300. 458 just about the same thing as far as convenience in reloading and it is a hammer like no other. Semi for the 8.6 would require an AR-308 / M5 build, while the 300 and 458 both use the AR15 platform. Maybe the 8.6 is a good mid range option, say from 100 yards to 300 yards? Flatter shooting than the .458 and plenty of energy compared to the 300?

Think about what you may do in the future. For now you say the most you’ll shoot out to is 300 yards. If you have the opportunity would you like to shoot longer? Reason for asking is I attended a beginners PRS event at Granby and there was only one newbie like me that had a 308 rifle and he struggled trying to hit targets at longer ranges. I picked up a 6.5CM rifle prior to the class and it was fun hitting some of those far out targets. Even scored a hit at 1000 yards. Not that you can’t with 308, but none of the senior shooters were using that caliber. That spoke volumes to me.

LOL, Mountain said "Wut?" I don't even know anyone with a hunting rifle in .308. We are all paper punch gamers and/or Tactical Tommy.

Seriously, I think 6.5CM is picking up a lot of fudd appeal out west. If I were to go on an antelope, bighorn, or mountain goat hunt that's exactly what I'd use.
images
.27 does appear to be very trendy all of a sudden. Except for elk I hunt and punch paper with a 6mm something, my 308 guns mostly stay in the safe.

I also thought about 223 but I'm getting an SPRish upper for that. It seems like the 308 would be the way to go simply for the ammo availability. I'm not a handloader and didn't plan on getting into it.
Definitely stick with 308 then if you're shooting inside 300 and don't plan to reload. I would have recommended 223 like others have to save some money but you're already getting a 223 upper I see.

I'll PM you the vendor who's got the Federal Gold Medal 308 175 gr SMK ammo. Best deal I can find on match 308 ammo.

Edit: nevermind TSUSA has the better deal lol.

Lol not sure if serious. 308 and 6.5 Kardashian both aren't going anywhere anytime soon, regardless of whatever cartridge "duh millutary" has a half-fake, non commital selection/trial for. You really want to wait potentially 10-20 years to buy a gun? [rofl]

I never understood this logic, although i agree it has an influence on the industry.
What are you talking about. When the Army decides to replace their service rifle or cartridge, they are very sure footed about it. They never waiver and always proceed with whatever they were testing.

1986 Advanced Combat Rifle (ACR) program:
BEA32927-66F4-40A8-BFBB-E7FAB3FA1B82.jpeg

1990: Objective Individual Combat Weapon (OICW) program:
6F43B596-C88C-4F6A-8333-6A3AD7AD7765.jpeg
0FE1D0DB-1688-4655-A117-F0A98A118E4F.jpeg

2002: 6.8 SPC
BA29B7FF-8CB6-4BCE-97AF-1D6E24C3340E.jpeg

Joking aside, I do think they will go through with the NGSW, and will do so with Sig which is the most similar to the M4. The desire for ballistic overmatch against the PLA or Russians is too strong to avoid it.

I'm also wondering why the huge difference in price.

Do you have links to the rifles your looking at?

Why the F would anyone want a 700 especially modern production one. No thanks. The 6.5CM model for $500 is concerning that it may be someone dumping a problem child.

inside ~600 yards the 6.5Cm offers almost no benefit over .308. Less recoil that’s about it. One must push the cartridge at least past 600 to really start seeing a difference.
At 300 yards a 6.5 143g ELD-X has more energy than a 308 150g. You all keep moving that distance out.

Totally agree, buying a modern 700 is a bad decision.

Probably the same reason the guys in the trap at our club change guns. One guy buys it...now they all need to, cause to be in the "in crowd"

In the end, they all wanted a new gun...they just needed to justify it somehow in their feeble minds.

I have both .308 and 6.5. I hunt with the .308 and the 6.5 is built up with an aftermarket stock as a long range rifle. I very rarely shoot long range tho.
The 6.5 does have less felt recoil.
So what happens when you load a 140 gn 308 to 3000 fps like a 6.5 ? Is the recoil that much less? Performance inside 600 yards?

A few thoughts as I own both. Out to 600 yards it was as easy to get hits with either 6.5 and 308. As you get to 700, a little easier with 6.5. Past 800 yards it was way easier to hit with 6.5

The thinking is the 6.5 has a much shorter barrel life. I’ve only got 700 rounds on mine but have been told and read that after about 1500 rounds the group will start opening up. The thinking is 308 should last past 5000 rounds easily.

If you are thinking of long range competition or shoot by yourself a muzzle break will make it easier to spot hits and misses so a threaded barrel is an advantage

Final comment on hunting. I’ve killed three deer with 6.5 143 grain ELDX. Two of the three went 50 yards to 75 yards or so. What I disliked was there was no blood trail except for last few yards. I had similiar experience with 6mm / 243. So I have gone back to .308. Bigger hole better blood trail is my thought.

I got out of 7.62 NATO/.308WIN this past year because of how stupid ammo prices are. I doubt they're ever going to go back to 2019 prices because of how obsolescent the cartridge is for the military. And for me, investing in handloading made no sense because the rifles I used dented up cases a lot.

If you're handloading for a bolt gun, you have a bigger brass and bullet variety with 0.308" than 6.5mm/0.2644". But you have more recoil and a less-flat trajectory.

7.62 NATO was a stupid idea in the 1950s for an infantry rifle - that's what I learned when I owned the guns chambered in it. For me, 6.5CM, no question.

Yeah, I'm not really arguing either way regarding the 7.62 vs 6.5. As far as the US military goes, I doubt they will be getting rid of 7.62 anytime soon. M240's are 7.62... whether used in infantry MG teams or as vehicle coax MG's on Abrams, Bradley, Stryker vehicles. I know both the Army and Marines are looking at future replacements in different calibers, but I doubt it will happen outside of SOCOM. SOCOM, Army and Marines also adopted the Barret MRAD in 7.62, among other calibers recently and are still fielding 7.62 CSASS rifles with sniper teams. Bottom line, 7.62 isn't going away for years, if not decades.

A few thoughts as I own both. Out to 600 yards it was as easy to get hits with either 6.5 and 308. As you get to 700, a little easier with 6.5. Past 800 yards it was way easier to hit with 6.5

The thinking is the 6.5 has a much shorter barrel life. I’ve only got 700 rounds on mine but have been told and read that after about 1500 rounds the group will start opening up. The thinking is 308 should last past 5000 rounds easily.

If you are thinking of long range competition or shoot by yourself a muzzle break will make it easier to spot hits and misses so a threaded barrel is an advantage

Final comment on hunting. I’ve killed three deer with 6.5 143 grain ELDX. Two of the three went 50 yards to 75 yards or so. What I disliked was there was no blood trail except for last few yards. I had similiar experience with 6mm / 243. So I have gone back to .308. Bigger hole better blood trail is my thought.
That’s an interesting experience with the ELD-X. It’s been the opposite for me, I’ve used the 103 ELD-X for three years now and it’s devastating. This year the heart was attached at the top and it looked like it had been blown open into 4 equal pieces. I took the shot and all I saw were his four legs pointing straight up in my scope, he flopped over and never moved, it was like something from a cartoon.

As much as I’m a fan of Remington 700, as it was said earlier there are better choices at $850.

Others have said and I agree that the .223 is a great option. I do most my training on field positions at 200 and 300 yards with a REM 700 heavy barrel in .223. and 55 gr hand loads. With 69 grain I can go 500 easy.

If you're only shooting out to 300yds, stick to .223 and save money. Tikka T3x Varmint in .223 would suit your needs perfectly, and you'd be getting a slick, quality action with ALMOST as much aftermarket support as the R700. You'll also have the option to rebarrel with a shouldered or barrel nut prefit down the road (save you gunsmith fees and learn a few things in the process).
I'd recommend what ^mike said.
How much is a Tikka 308 compared to a Rem 700. I've heard nothing but good things about Tikkas. And having shot Mike's Tikka, the action and trigger was flat out absurdly smooth.

As much as I’m a fan of Remington 700, as it was said earlier there are better choices at $850.

Others have said and I agree that the .223 is a great option. I do most my training on field positions at 200 and 300 yards with a REM 700 heavy barrel in .223. and 55 gr hand loads. With 69 grain I can go 500 easy.
Id take a Bergera B14 again over a Rem 700

Oh no I'm not falling for this one. I know how this goes. I good deal pops up and BANG it's gone like that. They're both Rem 700 sps Varmint rifles with the 26 inch barrel and crappy plastic stock which I would be replacing at some point anyway.

Ha Ha Ha. No worries about me poaching. I've already got my fair share of Rem 700s

I'd recommend what ^mike said.
How much is a Tikka 308 compared to a Rem 700. I've heard nothing but good things about Tikkas. And having shot Mike's Tikka, the action and trigger was flat out absurdly smooth.

It depends on which model Tikka. The Lites and Superlites can be found between as low as $650-$900. The other models are more expensive.

Back
Top Bottom