‘Open Carry’ Gun Fight Moves to Target Stores

http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2014/06/03/open-carry-gun-fight-moves-to-target-stores/?mod=yahoo_hs

Bd6yO9RCIAEd5MX.jpg

I total agree with you. I dont think they realize they are hurting the cause, rather than helping it.

To clarify, I think OC on your own property or on public property, fine. But don't drag businesses into it that want nothing to do with it, because it has and will backfire.

Ewww! Icky guns! Someone call a SWAT team!

Seriously who cares what these people do, or how private businesses respond? Both parties have the right to do what they've been doing, just let it play out.

To clarify, I think OC on your own property or on public property, fine. But don't drag businesses into it that want nothing to do with it, because it has and will backfire.

I think OCing is fine, but OCing a long arm to scare the masses I dont agree with. There are better ways to support and educate them.

- - - Updated - - -

Because it leads to legislation

+1

seriously though. if i saw some douche strutting around target with an ak slung around his back i would get the **** out of that store. that dude looks like a tool, but at the same time im not hanging around to see if he is trying to "make a statement" or is going to shoot the place up.

Let them legislate, it only brings to light the hypocrisy. Not exercising your rights so that they don't get taken away is stupid.

And stop being a sheep, he's obviously not going to shoot up the store. You sound like an anti.

IMHO, I don't think carrying the rifle helps the cause. That said, I shop in NH all the time, I'm 100yds from the border; last night in Market Basket on Rt28 in Salem, I see a guy OC'ing a semi auto pistol in the store. This amazes me, as in all the time I've been up this way, 13yrs, I've only seen this one other time.
So I watch this guy walk around, no one made any notice of him, not a second look, no one gave a shit. I'm not an OC fan, I like the element of surprise on my side, but seeing this, and the lack of reaction, was great. [rockon]

Let them legislate, it only brings to light the hypocrisy. Not exercising your rights so that they don't get taken away is stupid.

And stop being a sheep, he's obviously not going to shoot up the store. You sound like an anti.

Well you should stop being a dickhead and you sound like a moron but I'd never mention either in a post as a way to try to get people to agree with what I'm saying.

Ohhhh I'm sorry. Was that out loud? What was this thread about?

IMHO, I don't think carrying the rifle helps the cause. That said, I shop in NH all the time, I'm 100yds from the border; last night in Market Basket on Rt28 in Salem, I see a guy OC'ing a semi auto pistol in the store. This amazes me, as in all the time I've been up this way, 13yrs, I've only seen this one other time.
So I watch this guy walk around, no one made any notice of him, not a second look, no one gave a shit. I'm not an OC fan, I like the element of surprise on my side, but seeing this, and the lack of reaction, was great. [rockon]

do you not carry in NH or non-res concealed?

I have to open carry when I cross the border... legally at least

- - - Updated - - -

I understand that. I think if your actions cause you to lose public opinion/support , then I doubt the legislation would be favorable.

Then again it's Texas and I don't understand their politics at all.
they may not be smart, but they know what they want and they think showing the hypocrisy of being legally allowed to open carry a rifle but not a handgun, in public, repeatedly may get some change

I'm not going to out myself like the rest of you have done.......[smile]

But I will say if I saw someone OC'ing like this in my Target store, I would probably reach in my pocket to take the safety off.....and keep an eye on the guy.

Suffice to say, in the Happy Liberal Pioneer Valley, I doubt this guy would get 30 feet into the store before 200 cops showed up.

seriously though. if i saw some douche strutting around target with an ak slung around his back i would get the **** out of that store. that dude looks like a tool, but at the same time im not hanging around to see if he is trying to "make a statement" or is going to shoot the place up.

Seriously?

I don't think this kind of thing is doing us any favors, either... (politically) but I'm not going to shit my pants in fear just because some guy has a rifle slung over his shoulder.

Every time one of these threads come up, none of the gun owners can explain why this scares them. Is it cause it scares the sheep and you feel left out if you're not shitting your pants alongside them? [laugh]

-Mike

guns are scary when you know someone else has them, but you having one shouldn't scare anyone because you don't show it

it's simple really...

Dumb idea, this approach doesnt work and just convinces the 80% middle of the road folks to be turned off. These guys are becoming a pain in ass frankly in our fight to protect gun rights. Sounds odd but its true.

Sent from the blind

Ever get the feeling that the gun control groups are enlisting idiots to OC to force businesses to "get on the right side or face consequences".

[tinfoil]

Last edited:
Ewww! Icky guns! Someone call a SWAT team!

Seriously who cares what these people do, or how private businesses respond? Both parties have the right to do what they've been doing, just let it play out.

The question of the day of course is what happens if these stores go full retard? Some may react poorly and post binding signage- not that you or I care about that crap, but there have been gun owners in TX and other places trying to get businesses to get rid of these kinds of signs, and I think its going to make life tougher for CC advocates in that regard.

Given that its Texas I doubt any legislation will go anywhere, in either direction. I think what will ultimately happen is all they're going to do is succeed in getting chains of box stores or whatever to issue statements saying they generically don't want people bringing firearms in their stores.

-Mike

Dumb idea, this approach doesnt work and just convinces the 80% middle of the road folks to be turned off. These guys are becoming a pain in ass frankly in our fight to protect gun rights. Sounds odd but its true.

Sent from the blind

This is the issue..It DOES NOT matter what 80% of the middle of the road people think..We live in a republic..our rights are not up for debate..or a vote

Seriously?

I don't think this kind of thing is doing us any favors, either... (politically) but I'm not going to shit my pants in fear just because some guy has a rifle slung over his shoulder.

Every time one of these threads come up, none of the gun owners can explain why this scares them. Is it cause it scares the sheep and you feel left out if you're not shitting your pants alongside them? [laugh]

-Mike

It has nothing to do with being scared. I just think it is absolutely stupid. What purpose does it serve? I get what they think they are going to accomplish, but I just don't see it happening. If I saw that at my local target I can tell you now I am shooting first and asking questions later. (Local target is in Lo-hell haha) If I lived in Texas I would do the same thing I am doing now; shake my head and say to myself "f-ing Moron!"

Riding a bike, walking the dog at the park, anything out in public or on your own property I can get behind. But why bring it into the stores and force them to take a stance? Lets face it, none of these stores are going to side with gun owners. They are going to side with $$$$$

Here's my two cents (well more like a couple nickels): The whole point of constitutional carry - open or concealed - is to protect yourself from unknown threats. In order to actually fire your weapon, it generally has to be in defense of your life or of another's (lets not go off on tangents for the millions of circumstances that vary from state to state, etc). The two primary disadvantages of a pistol would be penetration and range. When in defense of your own life, the vast majority of those situations will be very close to you (probably within 50 feet) and likely inside a crowded building or an urban environment and range would not be an issue, so pistol is better suited for these situations. Given how few assailants wear body armor, penetration is generally not an issue and if you are not effective with a pistol out to at least 15 yards then my god spend more time at the range.

In most cases, you would not need the range or penetration of a rifle, and the decreased mobility actually puts you at a slight disadvantage. If used in self defense, collateral damage will increase greatly with a rifle. The bullet will not stop until all of it's kinetic energy is transferred to other matter (walls, people, shelved goods, whatever). Given the average rifle round has something like 3-5x the energy of a pistol round, it has the potential to do 3-5x damage.

All that said, a rifle would only be the "best tool for the job" if it was the only firearm you had, or something prohibited you from carry or having access to a pistol. This would be a 'something is better than nothing' scenario. Or you're defending someone else at long range (this would be rare). Or a sniper is trying to kill you. (definitely not going to happen on your average Tuesday).

The average person is somewhat used to seeing side arms, as they are common with police or other security officials. Running around with high capacity, high power rifles is less common and runs risk of the carrier or his intent being misinterpreted.

This is just me:

1) A slung rifle would only get my attention briefly. I would certainly not call the cops and would not bother the guy "because some people do this now".

2) A held rifle or hand-carried rifle, not "at the ready", and I would probably avoid the area. I would give the person benefit of doubt otherwise. Let's assume here, that all the behavior would be the same as that of a deer hunter, except it's inside Target, and the person is not wearing hunter attire.

3) A rifle "at the ready" and especially with a finger on the trigger and I would assume that "something is up". I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that the person with the rifle is the aggressor, but I would definitely distance myself from that person and continue to make observations from a purely defensive stance.

Any further behavior not consistent with peaceful carry and I'd consider calling the cops, especially if the circumstances were as follows: the person was running, crouched behind something, aiming the rifle, harassing other individuals. All of those circumstances would indicate possible trouble, but not necessarily that the person with the file is the aggressor and I would report accordingly. My judgment would remain impartial until solid details indicated otherwise. Edit: verbal harassment by the person with the rifle could just be retaliatory harassment against another individual with major beef against open carry. Losing your cool though, even if "defensively" would certainly qualify for douchery.

If was carrying, I would not engage the individual unless I was being threatened directly or it was blatantly clear that both a) someone else's life was in imminent danger and b) I was the last chance the potential victim had for remaining alive. If I was only being harassed by the individual, I would simply try to leave the area and warn the individual to not follow me. I would consider a violation of that warning a direct threat to my life, warn again, and if it continued would act accordingly and within the law to whatever extent I would feel be necessary to stay alive and unharmed.

So, back to the guy in Target? His rifle is slung, I'd probably compliment him if our paths crossed and maybe even a kudos on the 2A and move along.

Last edited:
The politician trying to get handgun OC legal in TX has already come out and said this is not helping at all. It appears they may completely ban OC of all types if this shit keeps happening.

Seriously?

One of my personal issues with it is in all of the pictures I've seen, they don't leave them slung on their backs, they bring them around at some point parading for the pictures.

They're not just "going about their biz" with a gun with them.

If we put it in terms of the Gay Rights movement, it might be likened to instead of a couple walking in holding hands, they started making out in the middle of the restaurant while the cameraman is taking pics. One is normal behavior, the other is abnormal behavior in a restaurant.

It's abnormal to stage a photo of everyone with their hands on their pistol grips in the middle of a restaurant.

Just a thought. After our experience with the Starbux Appreciation Day I don't think we need to get as far as hands on pistol grips (rifle or handgun) for this approach to be a non-productive approach.

Back
Top Bottom