zzz

You said "just a $200 stamp", it's a little more than that. I am not debating how easy it is.. Permission slip from the fed cost me $325 the first time, so your info is misleading for someone who has never filed a Form 1 before.
If using silencer shop, then yes the first time is 200 for the stamp and then 125 for the universal trust. After than, 200 per stamp. IMO, no big deal given what we spend on this hobby.

I have weapons permits that are valid in my neighboring states, (FL and SC). My AR-pistol can be carried loaded in my truck into those states. If I declare it as an SBR, then that's not an option. Although I find what @Asaltweapon said above about a yearly form kind of interesting; no idea such a thing existed.

People generally do one per state, but technically it needs to be one per location. So if you had say the White Mountains as one place you go, Ridgeline as another, and a shooting range in southern NH, you’d technically(according to the ATF) need to request permission with three separate forms, but you could set the date range to be up to a year.

Then there are those who think the ATF doesn’t have authority for how you travel with the gun within a state and say you only need to submit one request per state. Because the ATF’s NFA rules only cover interstate travel and not intrastate.

People generally do one per state, but technically it needs to be one per location. So if you had say the White Mountains as one place you go, Ridgeline as another, and a shooting range in southern NH, you’d technically(according to the ATF) need to request permission with three separate forms, but you could set the date range to be up to a year.

Then there are those who think the ATF doesn’t have authority for how you travel with the gun within a state and say you only need to submit one request per state. Because the ATF’s NFA rules only cover interstate travel and not intrastate.
Curious, how does ATF define “location”? City? Country? town? Specific address? Seems gray.

If using silencer shop, then yes the first time is 200 for the stamp and then 125 for the universal trust. After than, 200 per stamp. IMO, no big deal given what we spend on this hobby.
Most people spend a couple thousand on their hobby in totality, I've spent $7600 just on form1 ppwk

Erasing your original post which has a relevant question is uncool. The thread provides answers for people other than you and you just removed the title and the question being answered. Bad etiquette. Why should anyone answer your questions if you will suddenly delete them?

Since an SBR is a “firearm” and not a “rifle” under Mass. law, do the Fish and Game laws apply?
The fish and game regs do not use chapter 140 sec 121 definitions but instead rely on the common meaning of terms like "rifle" and "handgun" (handgun/pistol/revolver are NOT defined in MGL 140 121 but just rifle, shotgun and firearm). So a SBR is a rifle (its in the name). The "workaround" for some of the fish and game regulations is to use an AR pistol. If you are exempt (dealer or leo) you just use a normal AR pistol with a pistol brace. If you are not exempt, you go fixed mag.

My coyote gun is a 300 blackout AR pistol for example. Since night hunting is rifle 22 or less but handgun 38 caliber or less, 300 blackout is the win.

Erasing your original post which has a relevant question is uncool. The thread provides answers for people other than you and you just removed the title and the question being answered. Bad etiquette. Why should anyone answer your questions if you will suddenly delete them?
Because in usual NES fashion, it morphed from a basic question into discussions of NFA, MA laws, and caliber discussions. That is why.

Because in usual NES fashion, it morphed from a basic question into discussions of NFA, MA laws, and caliber discussions. That is why.

Since your original question involved pistol vs rifle status of a lower, NFA discussion is a logical derivative discussion.

Since your original question involved pistol vs rifle status of a lower, NFA discussion is a logical derivative discussion.
Nope. If it came with a rifle stock and couldn't have become a pistol, end of discussion. There is ZERO chance of anything NFA in my future.

Nope. If it came with a rifle stock and couldn't have become a pistol, end of discussion. There is ZERO chance of anything NFA in my future.

Ha, okay. That’s not correct, you know that right? It came through your FFL as an other, which means it can be anything it wants to be. If you looked into ATF NFA guidance, you’d know that. Literally the second reply to your question stated as much.

Ha, okay. That’s not correct, you know that right? It came through your FFL as an other, which means it can be anything it wants to be. If you looked into ATF NFA guidance, you’d know that. Literally the second reply to your question stated as much.
I don't want ANYTHING to do with NFA. Everything I own can be bought/sold without any addtional Fed oversight/interference. Hence my original post. Staying completely out of that playground.

I don't want ANYTHING to do with NFA. Everything I own can be bought/sold without any addtional Fed oversight/interference. Hence my original post. Staying completely out of that playground.

When you’re wondering about the pistol or rifle classification of a virgin lower, you should be looking into NFA rules even if you’re trying to avoid NFA.