zzz

Virgin lower that has never had an upper on it, or a lower that has been used with a rifle length upper at any point?

I would opine once it became a functioning rifle at any point in the past it precludes a pistol build.

If it has a buffer installed that you will probably have to change out, along with tossing the stock in the spares pile, wouldn't it be easier to build off a stripped lower with a good lower parts kit and trigger and remove any question of lineage ?

Virgin lower that has never had an upper on it, or a lower that has been used with a rifle length upper at any point?

I would opine once it became a functioning rifle at any point in the past it precludes a pistol build.

Not “at any point”. You can create a pistol, then turn it into a rifle, and then back to a pistol. The ATF says that is not creating a weapon from a rifle. The key is that it needs to be a pistol first. You can’t go rifle->pistol, but you can go pistol->rifle->pistol.

If it has a buffer installed that you will probably have to change out, along with tossing the stock in the spares pile, wouldn't it be easier to build off a stripped lower with a good lower parts kit and trigger and remove any question of lineage ?
Crap. Forgot about the buffer. Most of the pre-builds I have seen have a carbine buffer. I can do the internals. No good with putting on a new buffer tube/castle nut. The one thing we didn't do in the AR armorer's class ( .gov agency - we were never touching that part, since they were always rifles, and rarely shot). I haven't seen any built with a pistol buffer tube; they all seem to come with the rifle/carbine buffer.
Or just form 1 it and stop all the hand wringing.
Nope, nope, and nope! Why spend the money, go through the hassle, and time when all I'd do is have a pistol in the end? Can't cross state lines with an SBR without Fed approval; can't keep an SBR loaded in a vehicle either.

Already had an attorney chime in elsewhere. It depends on whether it was first transferred from the manufacturer to the distibutor or dealer as a receiver or not.

Nope, nope, and nope! Why spend the money, go through the hassle, and time when all I'd do is have a pistol in the end? Can't cross state lines with an SBR without Fed approval; can't keep an SBR loaded in a vehicle either.
Money? Just a $200 stamp. Hassle? Easiest filing to make and you get approval in a week or two. You then don't have to worry about about braces, stocks, barrel length, etc. I put it off for a long time and then once I got around to doing it realized how easy it was.

I never travel out of state with SBRs anyway and know few people who do, but if this is an issue for you, fair enough.

Yeah, traveling for courses, visiting people, or even just going to NH or ME, given how close they are.

If a lower is sold as "Other", even if it comes with a rifle stock already installed, can it be made into a pistol? I was under the impression "No" since once it had the rifle stock added, it was classified as a rifle. But, since it sold as "other", some have mentioned that it can be made into either a pistol or a rifle. Any one know for sure (maybe a dealer with an ATF bulletin?). Thanks.
You are referring to the 4473 where the options are long gun, handgun and other. Not to be confused with "other firearm" like a shockwave or Delta Level Defense CT4-2A.

Your issue is federal law which does not permit the creation of a pistol from a weapon originally a rifle. The weapon made even if as configured it would be a pistol when built new, is a SBR since it was originally a rifle.

So your question is, the lower you just purchased that came with a rifle stock on it when purchased, was it a rifle or was it a receiver. It is a receiver. You must be 21 years old to purchase from a FFL whereas if it was a rifle you could purchase at 18. The "other" checked by the FFL on the 4473 is a dead give away but you can work it out yourself. It is a receiver (hence other on the form).

You can build it into a rifle or a pistol or an AOW or an "other firearm" or whatever the hell you want under federal law.

With the stupid pistol brace regulation currently enjoined, go to town making your desired AR pistol. At least you don't live in MA where the common people can't have AR pistols unless they are seriously neutered and tortured.

Money? Just a $200 stamp. Hassle? Easiest filing to make and you get approval in a week or two. You then don't have to worry about about braces, stocks, barrel length, etc. I put it off for a long time and then once I got around to doing it realized how easy it was.
Plus fingerprints, plus engraving...

An annual form for the whole year covers that issue right quick. I’ve done it for a while. NBD.

I do it for NH and ME. But other locations come up, and sometimes it’s easy to forget to send in new requests to get permission to exercise your rights.

Yeah, traveling for courses, visiting people, or even just going to NH or ME, given how close they are.

I have weapons permits that are valid in my neighboring states, (FL and SC). My AR-pistol can be carried loaded in my truck into those states. If I declare it as an SBR, then that's not an option. Although I find what @Asaltweapon said above about a yearly form kind of interesting; no idea such a thing existed.

I have weapons permits that are valid in my neighboring states, (FL and SC). My AR-pistol can be carried loaded in my truck into those states. If I declare it as an SBR, then that's not an option. Although I find what @Asaltweapon said above about a yearly form kind of interesting; no idea such a thing existed.
I know a guy who hunts and guides with his AR pistol for yotes. No magazine restrictions on capacity. Rifles are 5 rounds.

Plus fingerprints, plus engraving...
Fingerprints once - electronic. No burden at all. Engraving - you’re not getting an SBR once a week are you? Well, we all have different pain tolerances. I find it no big deal at all. Do one NFA trust through silencer shop. Filling out form 1 takes 10 minutes. File and be approved in a few weeks. I suppose if you are buying an SBR once a week it might get annoying having to keep track. Can engrave in advance too.

Fingerprints once - electronic. No burden at all. Engraving - you’re not getting an SBR once a week are you? Well, we all have different pain tolerances. I find it no big deal at all. Do one NFA trust through silencer shop. Filling out form 1 takes 10 minutes. File and be approved in a few weeks. I suppose if you are buying an SBR once a week it might get annoying having to keep track. Can engrave in advance too.
You said "just a $200 stamp", it's a little more than that. I am not debating how easy it is.. Permission slip from the fed cost me $325 the first time, so your info is misleading for someone who has never filed a Form 1 before.