Zero tolerance weapons policy at a middle school...

Rob Boudrie said:
Kids need to be taught reality. "Tell all, confess everything, and it will make things better" may work in Sunday School, but not in the real world. The real world is just starting a bit earlier for kids now days than it used to.

It is important that every kid be taught that the consqeunces of making a confession without a "deal" in place is the loss of all currency with which to make a deal.
The real world according to Fox Muldar. Trust nobody. Never talk to strangers, but keep in mind that most child molesters are family members, so don't talk to them either. Beware of anybody why owns of talks about weapons, since they might be the next the next Klebold & Harris, but never go anywhere unarmed, just in case. The first and only worlds one should ever utter to police, school officials or others in positions of authority are "I want my lawyer."

Thanks, but my kids can pass on that lesson. All they need to know about this sort of situation is old Lord Acton's axiom "power corrupts" and that it applies to politicians and bureaucrats at all levels, even in their schools. Trust must be earned, regardless of any position of authority one might hold. Ther authorities in most of my schools earned it; those in their schools can do the same. This asshat obviously is incapable of doing so and shouldn't be trusted, even if one were led to believe that some "deal" had been made.

Ken

MrsWildweasel said:
Oh, just you guys wait that have younger kids. I said if I had another to put through the public school system, I wouldn't.

+1

If I had to do it again, I'd find a way to pay for private school for my kids. I have a lot of relatives that teach in various school systems and I'm convinced that overall the problem is not the teachers, but the unions and the administrators. They are the ones pushing the PC agenda, not the teachers.

Gary

JonJ said:
You forgot the 51A report filed with DSS[wink]

JonJ, you know that's no joke. I've heard of cases where parents have been threatened with 51A's if they don't follow the advice of counselors and have their kids placed on meds. It's not about education anymore, it's about indoctrination.

Gary

Garys said:
JonJ, you know that's no joke. I've heard of cases where parents have been threatened with 51A's if they don't follow the advice of counselors and have their kids placed on meds. It's not about education anymore, it's about indoctrination.

Gary

Yup, got that right. I also agree with your above comment. Although Alan had a few teachers that went way overboard on their agenda.

Speaking of PC indoctrination, in my daughter's 2nd grade class, they just finished a long series on the Civil Rights movement. Well, that's all nice and fine, but for eight year olds, this stuff goes way over their heads. Without a proper background of American history, I don't think they can put it in the proper perpspective.

So my daughter comes home one day and says "I'm ashamed to be white". The stupid thing is my wife is Indian, so technically my daughter wouldn't be "white" anyway, but of course if I tell her that, than she'll get scared that the white people are going to get her or something. Great lesson plan there. Good going. I feel like having a talk with the principal of her school.

Good luck Hminsky. I listen to what my friend tells me they are teaching her 3rd grader and kindergartener. I can't believe it. Just in what my son learned and now what they are learning. As I said I am glad I don't have any more to put through the publice school system. I wouldn't do it again. I do think they are teaching beyond their ages or what they can grasp.

and the school board said in a letter that "we can all learn from this incident and in the future apply some common sense when interpreting rules."

Something's wrong - a school department is going to use common sense? Oh my goodness, the world is about to end! [rofl]

I know at my school, any weapons brought in is grounds for immediate expulsion from all Massachusetts Public Schools, and because it goes on your permanent record, you might as well leave the state because private schools wouldn't give you one word if they saw that. I don't know if thats true, but when I was a freshman that was one of the first things they told us. Same goes for injuring a teacher, even if its an accident.

matt said:
so where did you use it as a weapon?

You picked up on that . . . [wink]

Only once. Age 13 in a neighbor's yard. I was talking to a friend (same age) a few houses down when my across the street neighbor (1 year younger IIRC) jumped me from behind. I fell such that I broke my arm and he's sitting on me (he weighed ~50% more than me) and wouldn't get up. He was just being a wise-guy (we were all friends and hung around the neighborhood, played ball together, etc.). Ended up that I pulled my jack-knife out and told him to either get off me or he was going to get cut! He got up and I headed home and told my Mother what happened . . . his Mother (our families were close friends) was at my house when it happened and I explained everything including my use of the knife!

I ended up in a cast for weeks.

Dwarven:

Um... it wasn't a weapon; it was a swiss army knife.

A knife can be a tool. A gun can be a tool. A shovel can be a tool. However, all can be used as weapons.

In the 'generic' term, with emphasis toward it being on school property, a knife is a weapon. They must outlaw all knives, because they can be used as weapons, as evindenced in the story above. It's better to not have something that can readily be used as a weapon in a kids hand.

Yes, I already said anything can be used as a weapon, but knives and guns are especially adapt at hurting people (along with whittling and target practice).

/Guy who's fiance taught high school in Lawrence MA and was physically threatened by a 'kid' twice her size. He's since been arrested for a similar offense that went farther, to actual assault.

Knife = tool
Knife also = weapon

They aren't exclusive.

Back
Top Bottom