Yugo K98k escapades. Recoil lug tomfoolery.

So i picked up a Yugo rework, German manufactured K98k the other day and got it out to the range this weekend. I was firing 170 gr Hotshot steel case (produced at the same factory, on the same dies as that old Romanian spam can shit from the 70s, just with non-mercuric primers and non-communistic QC) At 100 yards I could smoke clays every few shots and everything fired at my one paper target was within about 20 inches. The bore is absolutely immaculate on this beat up old war horse and the lockup is tight. There are no defects with the crown. I knew this thing was capable of better results. So I dug into my accuracy issues..

First, and most obvious is the fact that every couple rounds the front band slips forward. I discovered why tonight while fiddling with it. Turns out the leaf spring was cracked just behind the little nub that clicks into the corresponding hole on the band and the thing was slipping under the nose cap, allowing the front band to walk forward. It was visibly canted and I broke the front off while attempting to straighten it out. Ok fair enough. New repro springs are like $20. Problem solved.

The more vexing issue lies with the recoil lug assembly in the stock. It has about 1mm of front to back play and rotates back and forth 20-30°. It also looks like bubba got his hands on it and first tightened the everloving phuck out of it to no avail then sunk an 8 penny nail in behind it to try and prevent it from moving.
Ugh. So ive come to the conclusion that I need to remove the whole recoil lug assembly so I can purge the dirty commie cosmoline and fill the entire area with acraglas then carefully inlet everything to accept the lug in the correct position. Only problem is the lug. More specifically the spanner tool to take the nut off of the lug body. They appear to be machined from pure unobtanium. GAAAAH!

Ok, time for the last nip of bourbon and the last swig of beer. May the good volk here help me with mein Mauserkampf. Gute nacht.

PS I have high res pics and would love to post them but I'm too drunk and too tired to try to figure out how to do it.

Just do a search for a pin spanner with correctly sized pins. Short of that, drill two holes in a piece of CRS and drive in two spring/roll pins to make a wrench.

Take a pic of the thingy that holds the lug. Does it have a flat face with 2 small holes? I just bought a bit set on clearance at tractor supply that has a few of those in it. $5.99

A quick update. The recoil lug was drilled out. A replacement should be here soon. My plan is to thoroughally degrease the stock and acra glass the entire action area and possibly at the front, where the rear band clenches the stock and handguard together. Maybe even by the nose cap. We'll see. I think this old hodgepodge rifle will be quite a nice shooter when I'm done with it.

Back
Top Bottom