Young girl finds shotgun on Lawrence sidewalk

"Under normal circumstances, police would be able to trace the gun; however the serial numbers on the gun had been removed."

Some how I don't think the former owner of that piece (of s**t) filed an FA-10 when he purchased it.

AE

Shotgun

"Under normal circumstances, police would be able to trace the gun; however the serial numbers on the gun had been removed."

Some how I don't think the former owner of that piece (of s**t) filed an FA-10 when he purchased it.

AE
Maybe he was on his way to turn it in to the Boston PD to get his money from the buyback program when it fell out of his car. I`ll bet he`s pissed he`s not goung to get his $50.00.

Under normal circumstances, police would be able to trace the gun; however the serial numbers on the gun had been removed.
Shocked. I'm shocked. Why, that would be AGAINST the LAW!!! Why didn't that stop them from doing that??

Brings up a moral question. If you came across a rifle, shotgun or handgun in the woods, street, alley etc', would you call the cops and have them take it or would you consider taking it for yourself?

For the POS in the article I would call the cops. But say it's something exotic and expensive. A WWII 1911, an expensive shotgun or rifle etc'. Would you still call the cops or would you be tempted.

Me, I'd probably be tempted. Does that make me a bad person? [wink]

Sometimes the police CAN raise the numbers, depending on how
the gun was defaced, etc.... Although in this case someone
might be unwilling to get the wonderfully inept state crime lab to
look at it. After they get done with it the number will be wrong
and it'll trace back to some old man in florida, who still has the
real gun in his closet. [laugh]

-Mike

Brings up a moral question. If you came across a rifle, shotgun or handgun in the woods, street, alley etc', would you call the cops and have them take it or would you consider taking it for yourself?

For the POS in the article I would call the cops. But say it's something exotic and expensive. A WWII 1911, an expensive shotgun or rifle etc'. Would you still call the cops or would you be tempted.

I don't think it's as much a moral question as it is a common sense question. I wouldn't take a firearm that could be registered to someone else, or possibly used in a crime or had its serial# dremeled.

That, and I don't steal...but yeah, other than that, I'd be more concerned about the guns history and origin than anything else.

It depends on the circumstances of the finding. In the above
case, I wouldn't touch it and definitely would call the cops,
because it's probably an illegal SBS. In most cases it's
probably a criminal's gun that got tossed while he was running
away, or after he committed a crime, etc. Further, it was
probably someones gun that got stolen from them. Wouldn't
want to have stolen property, etc... in most cases the gun is
going to be a POS anyways. Not worth even the slight
possibility of getting in trouble over something thats probably
not worth a whole lot.

On the other hand, if I moved into an old house and found a 1911
under the floorboards or something, I would probably be pretty
reluctant to tell anyone about it. [wink]

-Mike

I'd call PD, it might have bodies on it, and now it would have my fingerprints, in the words of Forrest Gump "That's all I haveta say about that"

Nah, just makes you a gunnie, like the rest of us. [smile]

I'd be tempted, too, but I wouldn't keep it - as has been said, you don't know where that gun's been. It might be stolen and there's an owner who REALLY wants it back somewhere out there. (buddy of mine had a Colt Diamondback stolen from him - his company had awarded it to him as a reward for catching a couple of burglars (he worked security). That was some 28 years ago... it's never turned up yet.)

Plus... it might have been used in a crime. Now, I know that it's difficult to match bullets (CSI notwithstanding [rolleyes]) from one crime to another, but it'd be too much of a risk, IMHO. Turn it in and bask in the knowledge that you did the right thing.

I'd probably be tempted. Does that make me a bad person?

temptation doesn't count...action does.

Back in the mid 50's, I found a Mauser sitting on the bottom of our local river. It apparently was chucked out of a car going over the bridge by someone for some reason. I fished it out of the river, it was in good shape, not in the water very long.

I carried it about a mile to the PD (too young to drive) and gave it to them. No one cared that I was carrying a rifle back then, nor that I carried it into the PD.

I never saw nor heard of it again.

[laugh]Probably no chance at all the gun was being used for home defense. Perhaps it fell out of that locked case or trunk it was in. Hope it was unloaded or there could be serious trouble.

Did anyone see the report? did they say what time she found it?

I remember I was like 7 - 8 in sailsbury I was in the water on the beach and stepped on somthing.. ended up being an old rusted out revolver. my neighbor was a cop he was on the beach so i gave it to him.

[laugh]Probably no chance at all the gun was being used for home defense. Perhaps it fell out of that locked case or trunk it was in. Hope it was unloaded or there could be serious trouble.

not to mention its sawed off (life sentence?)

*alot of times they can raise the numbers using some type of acid (l learned about it in one of my classes) but im sure he'll be back to the PD w/his FA-10 and LTC to reclaim it.

maybe the guy or girl who threw it out the car window would have been picked up for speeding or driving to endanger, but there would have been no gun charges against them!

Gotta love MA, where the criminals get a free pass.

OMG! Ban shot guns because we can't simply ban the desecration of the sacred serial number! OMG RUN FOR THE HILLS THE SKY IS FALLING!

I don't think it's as much a moral question as it is a common sense question. I wouldn't take a firearm that could be registered to someone else, or possibly used in a crime or had its serial# dremeled.

That, and I don't steal...but yeah, other than that, I'd be more concerned about the guns history and origin than anything else.

I'd report it lost in NH. That way they aren't as likely to destroy it if they can't track down the owners and give it back to me instead :)

If I found a REALLY nice hunting rifle, something like a custom deer rifle, out in the woods, I would keep it. I would also call the police to tell them where I found the dead hunter.

OMG! Ban shot guns because we can't simply ban the desecration of the sacred serial number! OMG RUN FOR THE HILLS THE SKY IS FALLING!

They already did that. I think MGL makes defacement illegal as
well as federal law.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom