Yet another 'noob' Glock question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been getting a lot of mixed answers about this question from various sources. Hopefully someone here can make this whole Glock question clear;

What is the exact 'ban' or restrictions on Glocks in MA? Also, a friend of mine bought a Glock 19 in CT and asked if I wanted to buy it. Would I be able to? (I'm pretty sure the Glock is a gen 3, made after 1998.)

There is no "ban" on glocks (or most other handguns) in MA. Period.

The problem is the handgun compliance BS. Dealers cannot sell/transfer (or at least, they're not supposed to) Glocks made after 10/21/98 to consumers. Be aware that the law is not binding against the consumer, only the dealers.

Most dealers in MA will not transfer a post 10/21/98 manfactured Glock.

This is covered in detail here:

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=37553

-Mike

The deal is that a handgun cannot be sold by a dealer in Mass unless (1) it is on the EOPS safety list and (2) it complies with the vaguely defined attorney general rules. Glocks are on the EOPS list (1), but the attorney general has insisted in the past that Glock's efforts to comply with her requirements (2) were not sufficient.

That said, you can buy any gun that is not an assault weapon from a private person in Mass (face to face transfer), even if a dealer can't sell it to you. So you can buy Glocks from people on this board, but a dealer can only sell you a used one that was in this state before 1998 (thats the exception to (1) and (2)).

Please note, you cannot buy a handgun from a person in another state because it must go through a dealer in Mass under Federal law.

Thank you both for the clarification. One more question; if someone with a RI permit moved to MA with a post-98 Glock, would they be able to keep it?

You bet, one would be able to keep it. In fact, if one were to be moving to MA, one would be very smart to stock up on any handgun that they think they might like to have.

Thank you both for the clarification. One more question; if someone with a RI permit moved to MA with a post-98 Glock, would they be able to keep it?
Yes. As described above, the restrictions are on WHAT A DEALER CAN SELL. The restrictions are not on what you can buy, nor what you can own.

So you can buy Glocks from people on this board, but a dealer can only sell you a used one that was in this state before 1998 (thats the exception to (1) and (2)).

It only has to be made before 10/21/98. Being in MA is what bypasses the EOPS list, manufacture date is what effects the AG regs. Since Glocks are on the EOPS list, you can buy any that are made before 98 online and have them transferred to a MA dealer. If it's a common police duty gun, you can find them for good prices out of state. Glockmeister has used/excellent 17s, 22s, and 23s for $409.

Yes, but they can't keep any post 9/14/94 hi-caps.

Ok guys, I just joined, particularly for this issue. I have my LTC-A and was looking into buying a Glock. I really want to buy a newer, post 98 Glock(under the understanding that I need the pre-ban high-caps), but obviously it has to a personal transfer or bought out-of-state if at all. Here's what GOAL states:
Federal law allows persons to buy rifles and shotguns from a federally licensed dealer in another state, provided all requirements of the buyer’s and seller’s home state are met. Thus, a Massachusetts resident with a Card or License could lawfully purchase rifles and shotguns from gun stores in other states. However, state law requires that you register that purchase within 7 days of your return to Massachusetts. You would use an FA-10 form, and check off the box on “registration.”
The line that trips me up here is:
provided all requirements of the buyer’s and seller’s home state are met.
As mentioned above, the ban is for MA dealers, but does that mean ALL dealers-- including VT dealers, that would recognize my LTC --have the same ban and therefore cannot sell me a newer Glock? Also, if I have an out-of-state permit for a place like NH, would I still be limited to my MA (home) state license limitations or could I use my out-of-state to buy a newer Glock? I'm guessing no and no... [sad2]. Thanks for any clarification on this!

The line that trips me up here is: As mentioned above, the ban is for MA dealers, but does that mean ALL dealers-- including VT dealers, that would recognize my LTC --have the same ban and therefore cannot sell me a newer Glock?

Because of federal laws you have to transfer the handgun into an MA dealer to receive it. Most, if not all MA dealers will "bounce" a post-98 glock and won't transfer it to you. (They'd send it back to the dealer, or if you're lucky, tell the other dealer not to bother sending it to begin with) Many remote dealers will not even send handguns into MA because of the compliance BS here.

Also, if I have an out-of-state permit for a place like NH, would I still be limited to my MA (home) state license limitations or could I use my out-of-state to buy a newer Glock? I'm guessing no and no... [sad2]. Thanks for any clarification on this!

Again, all handgun transfers per federal law must occur in your state of residence. You cannot drive to another state as an MA resident and buy a handgun directly. You can purchase it, but the remote dealer would have to send it into an MA FFL to transfer possession to you, and that probably isn't happening.

Your best bet is to find an FTF sale in MA or a dealer that has a close to cutoff 3rd gen. (There were some 3rd gens made in 98 before the cutoff date. ) Another option is transferring a pre cutoff gun into an MA dealer. Most MA dealers that know the
laws will do this.

ETA- I'm closing this thread because it is redundant with the FAQ thread contained here:

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=37553

-Mike

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom