Yet another FA-10 question

JackO

Instructor
I got a 1911 frame (Caspian) which was transferred by a MA FFL. Contrary to what the MA law says (frame is not a firearm), FFL filed an FA-10. He wrote "Frame only" on this FA-10.

Now, when I will receive a completed gun from the gunsmith, do I have to file another FA-10 (registration) stating the caliber, barrel length, finish, etc.?

I know that the FFL should not have filed his FA-10 in the first place, but I had no control over this, and it's done already any way. My understanding is that I have to file an FA-10 on a completed firearm. But would it create a confusion as there is one already listing the same serial number? And if I don't, would I be in violation of MA law?

Another hypothetical situation. Let's say, I want to sell this new pistol right away. Does it make any sense to file a "registration" FA-10 and then file another one for the transfer, or just do the transfer one?

You are obligated to file an FA-10 when the frame becomes a complete gun ........... and that is what I would do.

as far as your second "hypothetical" question .............. refer to answer above.

FA-10 on Frame.

Not such a hypothetical. I did the same thing several years ago and built a very nice custom Caspian. The Dealer insisted on filling out an FA-10 on the frame which was fine with me since I was getting the frame I needed. I see no need to fill out ANOTHER FA-10 once the frame has had the other parts added to it.

They even filled in "45 ACP" as the caliber, even though I pointed out to them that the frame could be built up to be any caliber I wanted.

What reallythrew them off was the S/N 45ACP stamped on the side of the receiver. [smile]

Back
Top Bottom